• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capital letters problem (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
This morning, my laptop wouldn't give me a capital c using the right hand shift key.

So investigated a bit more and it wouldn't work on the left either.

More investigation revealed that the letters d & e wouldn't work with the LH shift key! Small letters were fine, as was Caps Lock.

However, testing again, before posting this, they now seem to be working again.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be happening?

Sounds like some issue with the keyboard, possibly some debris or worn contacts.
There were keyboards made that one could run through the dishwasher, but I'd not recommend it with any current model.

Thanks Etudiant.... hmmm.... this laptop is only just over a year old! I'd not be too pleased if it was worn contacts!

But why the sudden loss, and sudden return of use, without me doing anything?

A similar thing happened with my old laptop, but then I completely lost the use of :

a and s, 5
Upper case : ^, ( and )

.... was a bit of a nightmare!

The 's' would come back briefly for maybe a day, or two, then go off again!

.. hmmm.... this laptop is only just over a year old! I'd not be too pleased if it was worn contacts!

But why the sudden loss, and sudden return of use, without me doing anything?

That kind of behavior is not rare in electrical switches, especially with modern electronics where voltages are low, so marginal contacts are more noticeable. The signals are minimal and the contact designs are challenging, because at low cost they need to function reliably for a long time, despite the impact of keyboard mashing.

Perhaps try vacuuming the surface of the laptop while holding it upside down and tapping the back of the unit.
Longer term, I think laptop keyboards can be replaced, but the job is fraught, even if you can get a replacement.

Thanks E. Issues I'd not thought of LOL. Thought it would be easier to understand if the problem was consistent!

I could use the small c but not the capital c on the right. The same with the c, s and d on the left. And Caps Lock worked with the all the capitals. So it really had to be the two shift keys at fault, but only with those letters LOL

Try a blast one of those compressed air cleaners

(this sort of thing; other brands exist)

I'd be slow with the compressed air, you want to remove dirt, not possibly drive it deeper into laptop.
For those willing to get more aggressive, a contact cleaner may be a help.
These are non conducting solvents that do a good job cleaning electrical pots and switches.
I use this stuff, there must be similar in the UK:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=psdc_15719001_t1_B000CCMLD0

I'd be slow with the compressed air, you want to remove dirt, not possibly drive it deeper into laptop.
Never thought of that possibility! Seems unlikely though, particularly as they are specifically sold for keyboard cleaning.

For those willing to get more aggressive, a contact cleaner may be a help.
These are non conducting solvents that do a good job cleaning electrical pots and switches.
I use this stuff, there must be similar in the UK:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=psdc_15719001_t1_B000CCMLD0
£113 :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: it'd be cheaper to buy a new keyboard! :-O

Never thought of that possibility! Seems unlikely though, particularly as they are specifically sold for keyboard cleaning.

£113 :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: it'd be cheaper to buy a new keyboard! :-O

Wow indeed!!
I'd no idea that $7.97 US would translate to 113 pounds sterling.
Clearly Brexit has impacted exchange rates even more than anticipated.

LOL that must surely be an error. $7.97 should equate to £6.31!

I'd not be too sure! Once you add in bank currency transaction charges for a special import (if it's something not generally available in Britain), £113 becomes quite likely.

I once got told by my bank (years ago) that there would be bank charges of £40 for changing £1 into Swiss francs to buy something mail order. Needless to say, I didn't get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back