• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Contax 4.2mp announced (1 Viewer)

The Pixmania site says available from 25th Oct.

The specification also says comes with 16Mb card as standard - didn't I read somewhere that Kyocera were thinking of sending it out with a 'decent'-sized memory card?

The price went up to the RRP of £399 on Pixmania today!

The specification also says that the camera has no optical zoom only 6x digital zoom, contrary to the info on the Contax site. If this information is wrong there is a chance it will come with a decent sized memory card yet.

Nothing in the post yet :( I think there's some debate whether the cable-release bracket for the sl300 will fit the new camera, or that some slight modification will be needed to the bracket.
Can't wait for the 2 inch screen though, the current one is way better than the one on the cp995/4500 as it is.

Andy Bright said:
Nothing in the post yet :( I think there's some debate whether the cable-release bracket for the sl300 will fit the new camera, or that some slight modification will be needed to the bracket.
Can't wait for the 2 inch screen though, the current one is way better than the one on the cp995/4500 as it is.

Actually, I believe I found something on the web this morning that indicated that the U4R will have a remote shutter release available as an optional accessory, and when I called J&R (they are taking pre-orders at $499.88) to ask about availability, the sales person I spoke with indicated that he believed that was the case, as well. Furthermore, he also said that he believed the U4R will also have a tripod mount. However, he said that because they have not yet actually received any of these, he could not confirm either of these features.

I wish I had bookmarked the page where I saw the info about the remote, but I didn't. I do recall, however, that the reference actually included a part number for the remote, so it was more than just a general reference to a remote being available. I sent an email to kyocera this morning asking about when they will be available in stores and also about the remote and the tripod mount, so if I hear anything back from them, I will pass it along.

Well, I have gone searching again to see if I could find the reference to the availability of an options remote shutter release, and I can't find it anywhere. So, I am led to believe that the reference I saw related to some other camera. The sales person at J&R did say he thought he had heard a remote would be available, but he also said he did not have the full specs yet, so he was not sure. Anyway, if I hear back from Kyocera about it, I will pass that info along.

jonege said:
Well, I have gone searching again to see if I could find the reference to the availability of an options remote shutter release, and I can't find it anywhere. So, I am led to believe that the reference I saw related to some other camera. The sales person at J&R did say he thought he had heard a remote would be available, but he also said he did not have the full specs yet, so he was not sure. Anyway, if I hear back from Kyocera about it, I will pass that info along.
Still no sign of my UR4 yet but I haven't heard about any remote release. Interestingly, i do have another Contax the 5mp TVS ( shhh, I think they've forgotten about it) and this does have a remote... not the most reliable device in the world though.

I'd have to say that i would be surprised to see either remote or tripod socket with the UR4... it's a go anywhere fashion camera at heart and the need for these features would be non-existant to the market the camera is aimed at... however, a remote would be easy to implement in the design, though a tripod socket may be difficult given the thin body of the camera.

regards,
Andy

Reply from Kyocera

I got a response from Kyocera regarding my inquiries about a remote, a tripod mount and availability in stores. Here is their response:

"Please forgive us the late response. The U4R does not have a remote
shutter release nor a a tripod. The camera can take pictures without being
swiveled.

"We are shipping the camera today to the stores. I would expect them to
be in the stores within a week."

Well, Andy was right on both counts (surprise!), and the sales person was not. I am still very intrigued by this camera, but I have elected to cancel my pre-order and go with a coolpix 4500 for now. That is a known quantity (and about $200 cheaper!), and I will await the judgement of the experienced users before buying one. I am disappointed about the lack of a remote, but it still looks like a nice little camera. I will eagerly await results. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up about the remote or the tripod mount!

Okay, at the risk of seeming schizophrenic, I have to retract my statements about canceling my pre-order and going with the coolpix 4500. While that was MY inclination, when I mentioned that to my wife (who to this point had seemed completely disinterested), she said she much preferred the U4R. She likes the larger LCD, the quick performance and (I suspect most importantly) it LOOKS cooler. Accordingly, it now looks like I will be one of the testers, although no one should make any judgments about the camera based on anything I may have to report, as I am a complete beginner to this.

Contax 4UR

The specification does NOT mention an Aperture Priority Mode.
Lack of this turns it into an expensive point & shoot job.

Jim Archer said:
The specification does NOT mention an Aperture Priority Mode.
Lack of this turns it into an expensive point & shoot job.
Although I haven't had this camera in my hand... I stronly suspect it is the same as the SL300/400 type cameras, in that it does have aperture priority... it's limited to two apertures, but for digiscoping purposes setting it at lowest f# is all you need. Although basic, it does exactly what's needed for the digiscoper and this makes it so much easier to use for most.

regards,
Andy.

....Sounds a little less sophisticated than the CP4500.

Do we know what the close focus is on the 4UR?

If it's anything like the SL300RT, it will be useless for close work. Many of us do Dragons, Butterflies, Flowers too, and I suspect that those of us who do will not be interested in this camera.

Sean

Ghostly Vision said:
....Sounds a little less sophisticated than the CP4500.

Do we know what the close focus is on the 4UR?

If it's anything like the SL300RT, it will be useless for close work. Many of us do Dragons, Butterflies, Flowers too, and I suspect that those of us who do will not be interested in this camera.

Sean
I think some of you guys are missing the point by a very long way here... and also completely forgetting just what forum this is in.

We are talking about a camera for DIGISCOPING... a camera that takes photos of practically the same quality as the cp4500. At 3.3fps and next to no shutter-lag, to me this would make it a little more advanced in terms of bird photography than the Nikons. Again, for birding digiscopers, the compact size and ease of use, is also a blessing.

Many who take up digiscoping are intimidated by the complexity of what is needed to take a good digiscoped photo with the Nikons, it's something that they never quite get a grip on no matter how hard you try to teach them. A relatively simple camera that does the business so easily is a godsend for newcomers and those who just want the simple life when it comes to digiscoping.

Someone who has been using a cp4500 for a couple of years is unlikely to make the change, unless they wish for a more responsive camera in terms of speed.

Regards,
Andy

I have to agree with Andy on this. To my mind for digiscoping the SL300RT is a much better camera than the CP4500 in terms of technology and operation and even photo quality in some instances. I find the auto focus is more accurate, the LCD is far superior and exposure is spot on. The continuous shooting feature is amazing just on it's own.

The extra MP of the CP4500 certainly counts for something and the more durable battery but that's as far as it goes.

For anyone new to digiscoping then I'd certainly advise the SL300RT as it's far easier to get decent results straight away.

If the U4R turns out to be as good as I suspect it will be then no doubt it will be the camera to use for digiscoping.

Assuming it arrives in time for xmas then I know what I'm buying me!
But whats the best kit to attach it to my Leica Televid? I've seen Andy's suggestions at his web site but this camera looks a different shape from most cameras and I'm new at this!

Ta,
Simon

Would you wait?

Would you wait for the 4UR or go with the SL300RT? What are the differences between the two?

Right now I have a Coolpix 4300 and hate it. Very hard to see the LCD and way to slow.

Carl

The release of the U4R is hopefully iminent, possibly even this month so with that in mind I'd be inclined to wait for it's launch. The SL300RT is a very good camera but hopefully the U4R will be better still.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back