• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds trapped in sludge tank (1 Viewer)

Helen O

Anything that flies
United Kingdom
Received a telephone call last week from Thames Water, telling me two red kites were trapped in a sludge tank at a sewage works.

How two of them ended up in there, however the tank was approx 20ft deep and ladders were needed. Fortunately, although still very messy at the bottom, the sludge tank was empty.

After many frantic calls with Thames Water, and other organisations, trying to arrange for the kites rescue, I spoke with the RSPCA, and after describing the size of the red kites, and how they usually behave, etc when approached, they called me back confirming they were sending someone out.

By this time I also had confirmation the Fire Service was assisting.

To cut a long story short, the two birds were rescued, taken to the vets, given a good cleaning (!) and finally released.

However, it turned out the red kites were in fact two buzzards!

Thanks to Thames Water, the RSPCA and the Berks Fire Service for coming to the rescue.

Photos courtesy of Berks Fire Service.

Attachments

• DSCF0468 Buzard rescue web.jpg
    DSCF0468 Buzard rescue web.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF0470 Buzzard Rescue Web.jpg
    DSCF0470 Buzzard Rescue Web.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 202
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back