• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB discontinue Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski Bins from website (1 Viewer)

Simple question - if you do not buy from the RSPB online shop, why are you 'very disappointed' that they have stopped selling them there?
Basically they should be selling them online for anyone who wants to buy direct from the RSPB online if they do wish and choice. I would like to know the reason why the policy has changed.
Ian.

IJT, I think you're confused. Of course we try before we buy......then we go online and get the cheapest deal. If the RDPB Cant see that then they get what they deserve.

As for donating regularly with their appeals...... get real. The RSPB are one of the richest and most powerful charities in the country. Save your cash.....for binoculars maybe!!
I've always supported there appeals of which members and the public usually support. I'm also a member of a number of wildlife charity's including my local county wildlife trust, of whom I regularly donate to with there appeals as well.
Ian.

Basically they should be selling them online for anyone who wants to buy direct from the RSPB online if they do wish and choice. I would like to know the reason why the policy has changed.
Ian.

Why should they? Maybe the brands they do sell online have better sales, maybe they have a better margin, is it really an issue?

Probably one of the reasons is people like you using their physical stores as a free place to try them out, then taking their cash elsewhere to actually buy them. Bit like a parasite really.

As for their prices being too expensive, do you expect them to start stocking and trading to the volumes as WEX and the other big optics companies? If not, they are not going to be in a position to offer cheaper prices. And if they did, sure someone would find reason to moan that they should be concentrating on conservation, not dealing in optics.

I would hope as a charity the RSPB have taken a rational decision as to where best to devote their resources and which commercial ventures offer the best returns (the profits for which can be ploughed back into conservation). The vast majority of the online products are own brand but the most expensive branded (Viking ED50 Pro Scope) seems to be pitched at the market average of £399

The irony of all this is that the RSPB were practically the cheapest of all places to buy Alpha bins.

Maybe that alone tells a story. Either that or the German cartels have been bearing their chests!

Steady on. We can disagree with each other on here and dispute the ethics until the cows come home, but we really shouldn't be insulting each other.

You find they don't sell something you had absolutely no intention of buying anyway, then start protesting yet again how 'very disappointed' you with the RSPB. Just a continuation of the drip drip drip criticism of the RSPB over countless threads.

He says they need to be criticised for stopping selling these binoculars online, then admits he himself uses the reserve stores to try them out, then buys online elsewhere. Relies on or exploits the RSPB to try out the optics, but gives nothing in return by buying elsewhere ...isn't that akin to a parasite? In reality, yes too harsh, probably most of of us try out optics in one place, then buy elsewhere. However, perhaps, before criticising and proclaiming disappointment with the RSPB yet again, he should wonder if his actions are maybe part of the reason why they don't sell online anymore.

You find they don't sell something you had absolutely no intention of buying anyway, then start protesting yet again how 'very disappointed' you with the RSPB. Just a continuation of the drip drip drip criticism of the RSPB over countless threads.

He says they need to be criticised for stopping selling these binoculars online, then admits he himself uses the reserve stores to try them out, then buys online elsewhere. Relies on or exploits the RSPB to try out the optics, but gives nothing in return by buying elsewhere ...isn't that akin to a parasite? In reality, yes too harsh, probably most of of us try out optics in one place, then buy elsewhere. However, perhaps, before criticising and proclaiming disappointment with the RSPB yet again, he should wonder if his actions are maybe part of the reason why they don't sell online anymore.
Maybe if you started been a bit more friendly. We can have differing views, but no need for some of the things you've personally accused me of. On the RSPB Community Forums there's a far more friendly spirit, of which we can all have different opinions, but still be friendly. And again as I said if the RSPB need criticising, I will continue to do so.
Ian.

... if the RSPB need criticising, I will continue to do so.

I am sure you will, again and again.

You still have not said why you are so 'very disappointed' that they don't sell something you don't want to buy from them. Would you prefer them to expand into large scale optics retail to cater for the market very well served by multiple optics companies? Start putting their energy into this area?

Incidentally, I don't think I have accused you of anything, just said my opinion, as have you.

Relies on or exploits the RSPB to try out the optics, but gives nothing in return by buying elsewhere ...isn't that akin to a parasite?

Jos it doesn't matter what that is akin to. The word 'parasite' is an insulting accusation and that sort of language isn't appropriate on a friendly forum.

By all means point out that some might consider it morally reprehensible, but acknowledge that many people do it and find it acceptable and even necessary.

You can make your point without using insulting language and indeed you do that most of the time.

Lee

Sollas;3600581 As for donating regularly with their appeals...... get real. The RSPB are one of the richest and most powerful charities in the country. Save your cash.....for binoculars maybe!![/QUOTE said:
Solly

To me the word 'rich' means having more money than I know what to do with.

I really, really doubt whether the RSPB is in this position. The running costs of reserves, the costs of improvements to reserves and the acquisition of new land is an expensive business and that is without considering the research, political campaigning, the work in southern Europe concerning shooting of migrants and so on. I am sure their 'wish we could do list' is far longer than their funds can support.

Lee

But are we any clearer in establishing why the "RSPB have discontinued offering all top binocular brands from their website"?

The try at an RSPB outlet but purchase via Amazon explanation sounds plausible but I would still like to hear it from the avocet's mouth.

LGM

Last edited:
But are we any clearer in establishing why the "RSPB have discontinued offering all top binocular brands from their website"?

The try at an RSPB outlet but purchase via Amazon explanation sounds plausible but I would still like to hear it from the avocet's mouth.

LGM
I've asked that question on the RSPB Forums, but so far no reply from any of the RSPB staff. Normally you get quite a fast reply on the RSPB Forums.
Ian.

Jos it doesn't matter what that is akin to. The word 'parasite' is an insulting accusation and that sort of language isn't appropriate on a friendly forum.

Apologies, maybe I am just tired of the repetitive posts by this guy criticizing the RSPB at every turn. Sure there will be occasions when they need to be questioned or criticised, but it almost seems this guy wakes up one morning out of seven and thinks 'what complaint can I post about the RSPB today?'. On a friendly forum where most would seek to support the conservation bodies in the UK, is it really good the the forum is being used to continually nitpick and undermine the RSPB at every turn. They have enough opponents elsewhere.

So, yes, perhaps the use of parasite wasn't my most diplomatic, I shall try to refrain, but on questions of appropriate or not, I personally don't really see it any less appropriate than the moans by this gentleman, especially given as he himself says he doesn't buy the optics from the online site anyhow. So, expressing to be 'very disappointed with the RSPB' about something of basically no consequence to him. He takes his trade elsewhere, why does he care? Just another thing to complain about it seems.

Apologies, maybe I am just tired of the repetitive posts by this guy criticizing the RSPB at every turn. Sure there will be occasions when they need to be questioned or criticised, but it almost seems this guy wakes up one morning out of seven and thinks 'what complaint can I post about the RSPB today?'. On a friendly forum where most would seek to support the conservation bodies in the UK, is it really good the the forum is being used to continually nitpick and undermine the RSPB at every turn. They have enough opponents elsewhere.

So, yes, perhaps the use of parasite wasn't my most diplomatic, I shall try to refrain, but on questions of appropriate or not, I personally don't really see it any less appropriate than the moans by this gentleman, especially given as he himself says he doesn't buy the optics from the online site anyhow. So, expressing to be 'very disappointed with the RSPB' about something of basically no consequence to him. He takes his trade elsewhere, why does he care? Just another thing to complain about it seems.
A forum is a place where people give differing views and I do support the RSPB as I'm an active member of my local RSPB Group. But I will never stop criticising conservation organisations, if the need be.
Ian.

Wow, I assume all you guys are retired and smoke pipes in your sheds. Talk about nit picking in a small world.

I'm all up for non PC and let's hear so spicy prose. The blandness of the debate would often send one to sleep.

Jos, you don't need to apologise to anyone. You are who you are.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back