• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swimming Bat in Belgian Ardennes (1 Viewer)

creedence

Yesterday in daylight I was observing a small bat flying over the water in a quarry. Suddenly it dropped into the water and immediately began to swim towards a wall at the side. The swimming appeared confident and I thought the fact it was in the water was not an error it had made. It crawled up the wall for about two feet, until it reach a grassy overhang but proceeded and meandered amongst the leaf litter, fallen branches and twigs. Here it stopped moving underneath a small diameter branch, which is where we left it. Perhaps it had run out of energy, but it had gone when we returned a few hours later. Do bats deliberately swim and is that a behaviour that could identify it? It was small, like a pipistrelle. We have some not very good pictures which I may be able to send as BOC pictures later. Thanks in advance.

Yesterday in daylight I was observing a small bat flying over the water in a quarry. Suddenly it dropped into the water and immediately began to swim towards a wall at the side. The swimming appeared confident and I thought the fact it was in the water was not an error it had made. It crawled up the wall for about two feet, until it reach a grassy overhang but proceeded and meandered amongst the leaf litter, fallen branches and twigs. Here it stopped moving underneath a small diameter branch, which is where we left it. Perhaps it had run out of energy, but it had gone when we returned a few hours later. Do bats deliberately swim and is that a behaviour that could identify it? It was small, like a pipistrelle. We have some not very good pictures which I may be able to send as BOC pictures later. Thanks in advance.

We noted similar behaviour in Venezuela with a bat that dropped in to a large puddle. We assumed it was sick and dying and I went to look closer, as I did so, it took flight and perched in a low bush and seemed ok. I wonder if it's some kind of bathing, cleansing?

It was the bat in this photo.

Attachments

• Carollia sp,perspicillata,  Seba's or  brevicauda, Silky.jpg
    Carollia sp,perspicillata, Seba's or brevicauda, Silky.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back