• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (2 Viewers)

14 April ; Great Stukeley - Prestley Wood fields -- 4 Wheatears this evening.

Thanks for Grafham update- probably best it is too far to walk to,

17 Apr, Great Stukeley - Prestley Wood : 5 Wheatears this morning including this very tame individual that seems to be waiting for me on my regular government approved walk! https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/49784275596/in/album-72157713833980676/ or is he holding a territory?
It is a real shame that the many oblivious dog walkers let their dogs run loose through 'the field' where there are at least 3 pairs of breeding Lapwings with chicks and many pairs of Skylarks.....
Plus 3 Jays flying high to the NE.

18 Apr Great Stukeley- Prestley Wood fields; 6 Wheatears including the singing male. 5 Curlews inside the airfield.
A Tawny Owl in the garden just now to finish off.

19 Apr Great Stukeley- Prestley Wood fields : 6 Wheatears still as above. Hobby over high to the NE from the Brampton A1 pit view point.

62 white wagtails, 50+ yellow wagtails including a blue headed one in a ploughed field to the north of March near the sewage farm

62 white wagtails, 50+ yellow wagtails including a blue headed one in a ploughed field to the north of March near the sewage farm

Hi Tony,
The current highest count for White Wagtails in Cambs is 30 (and that was pretty exceptional). Are you sure on the number and ID of all these birds? Do you have any photos of them?

Of interest, how many Pied Wagtails were in the field?

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark I didn't count them myself but there many in the field, 62 came from rba, I posted a quick video on fb. All the ones that I looked at were definitely whites and not pied, they all looked 'fresh' if you know what I mean. Went back the following day and counted at least 91 yellow wagtails which is the most I have seen in one field. Video was posted on 'nature of the fens fb page

Hi Mark I didn't count them myself but there many in the field, 62 came from rba, I posted a quick video on fb. All the ones that I looked at were definitely whites and not pied, they all looked 'fresh' if you know what I mean. Went back the following day and counted at least 91 yellow wagtails which is the most I have seen in one field. Video was posted on 'nature of the fens fb page

Thanks Tony, at least two in the video are Pied's - I've just watched it.

28 April Great Stukeley - Prestley Wood fields; still a Wheatear hanging on; proves this must be regular stopping off site for wheatears that I was unaware of before the lockdown. - makes you wonder what else people have on their doorsteps they don't know about? The area will soon be developed into the Alconbury Weald so that will be the end of it I suppose.....

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back