• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

external microphone for smart phone (1 Viewer)

Mike Crawley

Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club
England
Hi everyone,

When I say "smart phone" I am currently using a new iPhone SE (2020 version).
However, I do have a lightning connector/jack-plug converter so connections on individual devices are not entirely relevant. It shouldn’t be relevant but I’m in the UK.

I have recently been trying a bird song I.D. App. which due to the poor quality of the recording produced is almost useless. Using playback from the Collins Bird Guide App. it’s 100% correct, so I’m guessing that making recordings using the built in microphone is where it’s falling down.

As it’s only occasional use (as opposed to making blogs/vlogs, etc.) I don’t intend to spend too much money.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

The one in the second post was omnidirectional, the one in post 6 is directional it seems. I have had good success in the past with the Remembird system that employed an omnidirectional mic; but all the best systems use directional mics. I would love to be able to walk down the street and test both systems.

Niels

The one in the second post was omnidirectional, the one in post 6 is directional it seems. I have had good success in the past with the Remembird system that employed an omnidirectional mic; but all the best systems use directional mics. I would love to be able to walk down the street and test both systems.

Niels

Oh yes, the time and money to be able to test them all simultaneously :t:

I'm interested in this thread too but for Android. I noticed the rode mics have mixed reviews on amazon: good to hear of real experience (with any brand). Seems to me there're great advantages in having everything via phone.

Which app?

Well I feel a bit of a prat now.
I missed this message last night.
I have tested the App. this morning and the quality of I.D. has become quite poor.

This morning I have tried
Smart bird ID; ChirpOMatic Bird Song ID UK:

I can’t get any of them to reliably ID playback from Collins

Back to the search for an App.

I was never that much into bird recording but on trips abroad in the 90s I did always carry a tape recorder and a directional mic to record bird songs to help with id but also because it did give a nice souvenir. Then there was no question everyone used a directional mic and this would seem the case now.
I a surprised more birders haven't gone down this route. I'm certainly keen to sort it out before my delayed trips - hopefully - finally happen.

I was never that much into bird recording but on trips abroad in the 90s I did always carry a tape recorder and a directional mic to record bird songs to help with id but also because it did give a nice souvenir. Then there was no question everyone used a directional mic and this would seem the case now.
I a surprised more birders haven't gone down this route. I'm certainly keen to sort it out before my delayed trips - hopefully - finally happen.

Yes I find playback essential in the neotropics. Hand held recorder I have is ok but extra to set up and carry, with no link to blue tooth speakers. Phone would be better solution but internal mic quality poor. So, (given variability I note above) which small directional mics are good?

I have given this some thought but do not wish to spend that much money as it is only a sideline from birding and digital photo records. I have looked at a range of handheld at around the £50-100 mark. I do not really want to carry yet another item that will receive little use at best and no use the bulk of the time so i have decided on a cheap and cheerful option that, altho will not achieve the best results, will utilise something i always carry i.e. my mobile smartphone.

I will purchase a Lavalier phone mic’, it comes with 2 jack-plugs. These are not expensive currently £10-15. I will purchase or reuse a light 12” diameter plastic dish or other concave item. This will then be drilled to take the mic’ and fitted with a suitable adapter which will enable normal use with the clip provided or easy conversion to a makeshift directional recorder. It is neither perfect or professional but it is cheap and cheerful. It is also portable and discreet. I also intend to place it outside the bedroom window for nocmig which was my original intention rather than roaming around ‘out in the field. If i am impressed i will stick with it - we shall see:t:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

I have given this some thought but do not wish to spend that much money as it is only a sideline from birding and digital photo records. I have looked at a range of handheld at around the £50-100 mark. I do not really want to carry yet another item that will receive little use at best and no use the bulk of the time so i have decided on a cheap and cheerful option that, altho will not achieve the best results, will utilise something i always carry i.e. my mobile smartphone.

I will purchase a Lavalier phone mic’,

Laurie:t:

I am intrigued by why you are choosing a omnidirectional mic rather than a directional one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back