• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Leicas (1 Viewer)

timtagel

Balintore Birder
Hi,

Just picked up a pair of green Leica 10x42 BNs and am thrilled. Been after a pair for years and just love them. Much prefer the design and handling to the new Ultravids and the image quality is just wonderful.

Glad to join the ole Leica club at last.

:)

timtagel said:
Hi,

Just picked up a pair of green Leica 10x42 BNs and am thrilled. Been after a pair for years and just love them. Much prefer the design and handling to the new Ultravids and the image quality is just wonderful.

Glad to join the ole Leica club at last.

:)

Congatulations on your Leica's. I have had probably every brand and type of binoculars. My first Leica's were the venerable 8x32 BN's and they were a real eye opener. I just loved everything about them. Ergonomics,ruggedness and especially the view. Leica's are my favorite binoculars now. I have the 7x42 BN Trinovids which I prefer over the Ultravids. The 7x42 BN's view is just a little brighter and more comfortable than the 8x32 BN's so I do not mind carrying the extra weight. I feel Leica's have the best optics ,at least for me, of any binocular I have tried.

Dennis

Well done!

One thing is for sure, when you finally fork out for a quality pair of binoculars, you wonder why you didn't just get them in the first place instead of tiddling around with 'lesser' optics. It's not just the glass either - the whole build quality issue comes into play too.....I messed around with various cheaper binoculars before deciding I might as well step up to the mark and pay for quality.....and I'm more than satisfied!

I too have the 10x42 BN as well as the 7x42 BN - both bought secondhand, both in superb condition and both for excellent prices. I found that buying secondhand takes the edge off spending 'big' money on high-end binoculars....if you get them at a good price for their condition you are unlikely to lose much, if anything, should you sell them on after a couple of years.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. Noticed a pair of secondhand green 10x42 BN's on Ffordes website....now they're gone.....mmm????

I’m finding the euro optics are an excellent investment. Prices are rising so fast that it’s more like a no cost rental than a loss. Case in point. In Jan of 2004 I purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x25s for $325 (which seemed like a lot then) they now sell for $489. I had no problem recovering my investment when I sold them on Ebay and reinvested in the Leica 10x25s. I am hoping they will perform as well as an investment a few years down the road while I enjoy using them.

Last edited:
PS. Noticed a pair of secondhand green 10x42 BN's on Ffordes website....now they're gone.....mmm????[/QUOTE]

you rumbled me! Couldn't resist them!

Congatulations on your Leica's. I have had probably every brand and type of binoculars. My first Leica's were the venerable 8x32 BN's and they were a real eye opener. I just loved everything about them. Ergonomics,ruggedness and especially the view. Leica's are my favorite binoculars now. I have the 7x42 BN Trinovids which I prefer over the Ultravids. The 7x42 BN's view is just a little brighter and more comfortable than the 8x32 BN's so I do not mind carrying the extra weight. I feel Leica's have the best optics ,at least for me, of any binocular I have tried.

Dennis

Right on, Dennis. My travel bin of choice is a 10 x 32 BA, which I used last week for pelicans, hawks and manatees from a small open boat on a brief vacation in south Florida. They are absolutely reliable, go anywhere, worry-free bins which still yield amazing images at all distances, especially near focus.

Nice one timtagel......I'd say you paid a fair price for those considering it seems to be silly season on ebay at the moment. I've seen older BA's going for more than you paid......and BN's have been going for even sillier money.

I think it's fair enough to pay a third less for secondhand Ultravids (against new price), but there's no way I'd pay more than half new price for secondhand Trinovids....even though I love 'em.....a good deal is a good deal......and I got two great deals - all together my 10x42 BN's & 7x42 BN's cost me less than one new pair of 10x42 BN's.....it pays to mooch!

I've no doubt you'll thoroughly enjoy using your BN's.....

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. The green is rather nice isn't it....?

Congratulations on the Trinovid. It seems that more and more people here are saying they like the Trinovid better than the Ultravid.

Congratulations indeed. I recently field tested the big three euro-brands before upgrading in all major binocular formats (10x25, 10x32 and 8x42) and went Leica Ultravid the whole way. For one reason or another, I found the Leicas ever so slightly crisper, brighter and with better contrast rendering than anything else out there. Plus, they're not just easy to look through - they're easy on the eyes as well (they're aesthetically pleasing to look at and beautifully designed). Look at my review for the Ultravid 8x42 BL on the B+H website if you want a little more Leica analysis. I trust the following link will open:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...720&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Trinovid or Ultravid -- little matter. You couldn't have done better. Enjoy!

The Ultravid is lighter with better ergonomics for me. Its also a fact that the high-lux (dielectric mirror) prism coatings are superior to the trinivod line, this has been measured in various tests and published. The ultravids are indeed brighter, there isnt much to debate on that and lighter as well.

mook said:
Nice one timtagel......I'd say you paid a fair price for those considering it seems to be silly season on ebay at the moment. I've seen older BA's going for more than you paid......and BN's have been going for even sillier money.

I think it's fair enough to pay a third less for secondhand Ultravids (against new price), but there's no way I'd pay more than half new price for secondhand Trinovids....even though I love 'em.....a good deal is a good deal......and I got two great deals - all together my 10x42 BN's & 7x42 BN's cost me less than one new pair of 10x42 BN's.....it pays to mooch!

I've no doubt you'll thoroughly enjoy using your BN's.....

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. The green is rather nice isn't it....?

Thanks Mook - when I picked them up I was amazed at the condition - better than the description actually and yes I do prefer the green so I was v lucky. Been out with them today and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Robert / Seattle said:
Congratulations indeed. I recently field tested the big three euro-brands before upgrading in all major binocular formats (10x25, 10x32 and 8x42) and went Leica Ultravid the whole way. For one reason or another, I found the Leicas ever so slightly crisper, brighter and with better contrast rendering than anything else out there. Plus, they're not just easy to look through - they're easy on the eyes as well (they're aesthetically pleasing to look at and beautifully designed). Look at my review for the Ultravid 8x42 BL on the B+H website if you want a little more Leica analysis. I trust the following link will open:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...720&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Trinovid or Ultravid -- little matter. You couldn't have done better. Enjoy!

Thanks Robert. The Trinovids are v crisp and the handling is what sets them apart. I own a pair of Nikon 10x32 HGs - wonderful but the focusing is trickier and the depth of field doesn't seem as good. Also I do see excessive chromatic abberration in the Nikons while the Leica's so far have shown none.

308CAL said:
The Ultravid is lighter with better ergonomics for me. Its also a fact that the high-lux (dielectric mirror) prism coatings are superior to the trinivod line, this has been measured in various tests and published. The ultravids are indeed brighter, there isnt much to debate on that and lighter as well.

Well I'll stick with my BNs. I actually tried out the Ultravids at a birding centre near where I live and compared them to my Nikon HGs and have to say the Nikon's to my eyes were brighter and sharper. It's always subjective I know, but at the time I was glad I paid £400 for a pair of cracking binos instead of £900 for a pair, that to me just didn't raise the game significantly enough to justify the price. What's more, the Ultravid design is disappointing in my opinion. However I love the 10x25 Ultras and am in the process of pawning my wife's shoe collection to bag a pair!

Glad you like your BN...

I picked up a 8x42 BA a few weeks ago, some observations -

Nice optics. I did not get a chance to compare them to Ultravids or even the newer "BN", but they are very sharp and clear. Could be a shade brighter I think.

Ergonomics aren't good. I feel like I am holding a toaster. You have to get used to it. They are heavy. Apparently considerably heavier than a 8x32 (but you do get better eye relief, viewing comfort and time at dusk).

Although I would like to own an Ultravid some day, now I think I would prefer the Trinovid line for durability reasons.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back