• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 7x42 on the market (1 Viewer)

Nope, I was going for the latest SLC neu model at a viking optical centre in norwich - it was immaculate for £530!!

Now sorted with a 8x32 trinovid:t:

Matt
Ah, wonder if that's the place where some other BFer was considering a Viking V-80ED scope package for under £300. Sounds like they offer some good deals.
Congrats on the new purchase. My guess is that that binocular is lighter than the 7x42 :-O

I doubt very many birders want to carry 1200g binoculars around all day, no matter how good the optics.
How do you carry them, Henry? I have trouble carrying my 840g 7x42s, partly because of the weight pulling on my neck and partly because of the way they feel against my chest—like a brick.

Michael.

How do you carry them, Henry? I have trouble carrying my 840g 7x42s, partly because of the weight pulling on my neck and partly because of the way they feel against my chest—like a brick.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

I'm not Henry but I would like to respond here.
I've attached a counterweight ( a metal buckle ) of 125 grams on the neck-strap, which makes my 740 gram bins actually feel like 615 grams. Like you I had trouble carrying my bins around my neck all day, until I thought of this solution. I began by attaching the bino case with some weight in it to the neck-strap but this looked definitely soppy; big bulge on your back you may be adressed to as Quasimodo, so I decided to look further and came up with the buckle. I simply put two pieces of strap and attached them to the eyelets of my bins and to the left and right end of the buckle. Whole thing is nice and flat, works great.
Yet a bino harness may be more comfortable, but it's a bit of a fuzz when you want to take off your coat when it gets hot.

Greetings, Ronald

I've attached a counterweight ( a metal buckle ) of 125 grams on the neck-strap, which makes my 740 gram bins actually feel like 615 grams. Like you I had trouble carrying my bins around my neck all day, until I thought of this solution. I began by attaching the bino case with some weight in it to the neck-strap but this looked definitely soppy; big bulge on your back you may be adressed to as Quasimodo, so I decided to look further and came up with the buckle. I simply put two pieces of strap and attached them to the eyelets of my bins and to the left and right end of the buckle. Whole thing is nice and flat, works great.
That's ingenious, Ronald. Do you have a photo, by any chance?

Michael.

Hello michael,

Hope this works; I attached 3 files with drawings.

Greetings, Ronald

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 128
Hello michael,

Greetings, Ronald

Hm, not very sharp. Oh well.
The buckle is one of the type mountain climbers use and can be bought in any outdoor sports store.

greetings, Ronald

Hello michael,

Greetings, Ronald
Thanks, Ronald, that's very clear. I think over here the mountain climbers call those things karabiners. But I'm very impressed by your beautiful drawings. Funny too. Excellent.

Michael.

Hi Ronald,

Very nice graphics! Reminds of the very entertaining characters (and situations) that are found in many Japanese product manuals.....they have a great knack of bringing their products to life in cartoon form - often with quite bizarre possibilities if you fail to follow proper procedure!!

I hope we see a lot more of your character explaining the whys and wherefores of binoculars/birding techniques.....does he have a name?

Cheers,

Mook.

Hello Michael,

Once again the buckle, this time a bit sharper I hope.

Greetings, Ronald

Attachments

• bin buckle 2.jpg
    bin buckle 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi Ronald,

Very nice graphics! Reminds of the very entertaining characters (and situations) that are found in many Japanese product manuals.....they have a great knack of bringing their products to life in cartoon form - often with quite bizarre possibilities if you fail to follow proper procedure!!

I hope we see a lot more of your character explaining the whys and wherefores of binoculars/birding techniques.....does he have a name?

Cheers,

Mook.

Hello Mook,

Ehmmmm... it's me, this character, well, sort of; so I suppose I could call him Ronald, but options for a better name are open. :)

I'm a professionel cartoonist, and now that I have found a way to get these cartoons on this thread, you bet there's gonna be more!!

But I will open a new thread, because I have found out something new today...

Greetings, Ronald

Hi Ronald,

very interesting. Thanks for sharing. And with a portion of humour:
Ehmmmm... it's me, this character, well, sort of; so I suppose I could call him Ronald, but options for a better name are open.

even more understandable :t:

Steve

Hi Ronald,

Cool! I'm looking forward to more adventures.....seeing as though he's based upon your good self, why not call him Little Ron....?

I can see it now.... 'Little Ron's Guide To.....'

Now, how interesting would it have been if he was around for the Swarovski 'hole' and Leica 'jerky wheel' debacle of late.....???? Ok, let's promise NOT to revisit those.....the jokes were wearing far too thin long before the last posts!

Cheers,

Mook.

PS. My moniker (Mook) comes from a comic strip character I created for a staff magazine....needless to say it was 'me' taking the 'p' out of the company, little did they realise.....he he he.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back