• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£25 Budget for Bins good enough to Bird with (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
Going on holiday with one birder and one non-birder. Want to buy him some bins which he can either keep if he refunds me or I will keep and lend to others I drag along occasionally. Just need something good enough to enjoy the birds with. Don't want to spend more than £25 delivered. 2nd hand preferred if I could be confident of no major image or collimations faults etc.

7x or 8x, wide FoV and not too heavy would be beginner-friendly. Been trying to pick up some Jenoptem 8x30s (great value in their day) on Ebay but decent nick fetches c. £60

Suggestions? Or Offers? Any reliable second-hand places?

Anyone know these... http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/inpro_optics/inpro_fs.htm

Thanks,
Graham

I would have a look on eBay for a pair of Swift Saratoga's or if your not to worried about colour fidelity some of the Russian binoculars. £25 won't but you much new I'm afraid.

7DayShop were selling some Tasco 7x35 porros for £10 but they don't seem to be advertising them now. They might reappear though and are quite reasonable optically.

Last edited:
Those Tasco bins from 7dayshop.com are a waste of time....ordered some for a relative of mine but found them to be awful....not even worth it for a tenner!

Focus was the 'quick-focus' type - a rocker rather than a wheel which makes it impossible to accurately focus on anything! But worse than that was the fact that the bins induced a headache within minutes! Needless to say they went back....useless I tells ya, useless.

I've often found local photo stores or even charity shops have had reasonably priced secondhand bins that were usable.

Cheers,

Mook

Those Tasco bins from 7dayshop.com are a waste of time....ordered some for a relative of mine but found them to be awful....not even worth it for a tenner!

Focus was the 'quick-focus' type - a rocker rather than a wheel which makes it impossible to accurately focus on anything! But worse than that was the fact that the bins induced a headache within minutes! Needless to say they went back....useless I tells ya, useless.

I've often found local photo stores or even charity shops have had reasonably priced secondhand bins that were usable.

Cheers,

Mook

The three pairs I've used are all quite good optically - better than some bins I've seen that cost a lot more. I wouldn't want to use them all day though, but the same could be said of lots of other bins. The focus is a bit rubbish and the eye-relief is poor, but optically they're quite bright and sharp and have a wide field of view (not as wide as advertised though). I think they're good for £10 and would probably be okay for a bit more.

I know these are different from the ones you are wanting but might be a consideration if you have an Aldi store by you for £6.99.

It is one of todays [Sun 8th June] special buys. I have no experience of these but I have got one of the £25 spotting scopes that they do and I was pleased with that.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6242.htm

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Have sorted the immediate requirement with the loan of a nice pair of Opticron porros from Jim (jtw521) Still looking out for a permanent spare pair but without the time pressure. If anyone has any in good nick for sale please PM.

I still think a pair of full size bins is much, much better for introducing a beginner and compact bins are just too hard to use because of the narrow FoV and more fiddly handling. The Tasco 7DayShop suggestion sounded just the part, Andrew - must watch out for a repeat. Ideally though, in the spirit of reduction, re-use and recycling, I'd like to buy second-hand with confidence there were no major faults - still not sure what the best route is there other than finding Ebay listings where the seller knows a bit about bins.

Thanks again to all,
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back