• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Additions and totals... (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

In 2014:

Birds - I saw 185 sp, adding 3 new birds to my BOU list (RN Phal, ST Eagle and Desert Wheatear) and 3 to my Kent list (RN Phal, Desert Wheatear and Whooper Swan).

Moths - I saw 234 sp, adding 62 new moths to my life list.

Kind of need to up the pace on the birding front for 2015 or I'll never reach 300 in Kent!

Happy New Year to all.

Andy M

189 with 23 Lifers and 9 new sub species, all within Europe. I'm hoping to beat 300 this year with Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe planed for June/July

I saw 416 species worldwide, with 81 lifers (11 of which were in the UK, 8 in Morocco, 9 in UAE and the rest in Australia) and a very poor 165 species in Britain, with 14 additions to my British list, with 11 coming from Dorset and three from Somerset.

I actually didn't counI but probably had somewhere around 700-800 species worldwide in 2014, spread between Taiwan, Korea, China, Colombia, and the USA.

I know I added 12 species to my ABA list. I'm guessing I added around 150-175 to my world list.

Either I still need to enter some data, or I only had 339 world wide this year. 21 of these were lifers. I visited several countries (Mexico, USA, Spain), but most were 3rd or 4th visit (or even higher). On several of the trips I specifically went for the lifers rather than trying to get a large trip list.

Niels

157 in Winnipeg and six trips to Oak Hammock Marsh thanks to my son. I don't drive (bad leg) so apart from Oak Hammock all by bus.

Bit of a quiet year for me as I lost the plot at times :smoke: Ended the year with a flourish with 3 Year Ticks on December 31st (Barnacle Goose, Fieldfare & Redwing) and a final total of 141. Two lifers which were Caspian Gull at Amble on 13th August and Wryneck at Hadston on 8th September :t:

200 for the UK and 202 for the world. 44 lifers, 42 of which were in the UK.

My main target for the year was to boost my UK list which was only 175 at the start of the year, so having seen more species this year than I'd seen in my life to date, I have to be pretty happy with that!

My dragonfly list hit a couple of milestones - ticked off the last species on the UK list that breeds regularly in England, then did the same for Great Britain by seeing the 3 Scotland-only species. Of course, it's the ones that don't breed here regularly that are harder to find...

I saw 326 bird species in 2014, including 20 lifers, which included one (Ancient Murrelet) seen just yesterday, on New Year's Eve.

I saw 1016 species last year, a record 243 in the UK (only 2 additions) but 560 lifers worldwide - including Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, LA airport, and Uganda. This puts my world list at about 2047.

This is little bit pathetic (especially after Jon):

Total in Finland 159 species and 15 lifers. I also count ECO-tics (birds seen without using motor vehicles): 121 species.

198 worldwide (plus a few "very likely" ones), including "heard only" records.
7 lifers - Booted Eagle, Dartford Warbler (first Sylvia lifer in ten years), Spanish Sparrow, Great Bustard (seen from a train no less), Black Wheatear, Calandra Lark (first new lark in 8 years), and River Warbler.
Also got better views of Cattle Egret and Rock Sparrow, which I'd technically already seen the year before, but hadn't been certain about their ID, so according to some (most?) people's rules, those two would count as 2014 lifers for me as well.
Some new state and country ticks, as well.
To tie in with the above post, most of these are "eco ticks" as well.

Last edited:
About 150 species in the U.S. with approximately 39 lifers. (Anyone know how to view yearly species counts in eBird?)

166 in the UK (first time I've done a yearlist), 10 of them lifers (Great Northern Diver, Velvet Scoter, Cirl Bunting, Red Grouse, Nightjar, Spotted Crake, Ring Ouzel, Surf Scoter, Snow Bunting, Greater Scaup).

Also had two lifers on a tour in Finland (Little Tern and Northern Hawk Owl) to bring my global lifelist up to 410, but I haven't got an accurate record of everything else I saw while I was out there. Will be returning in May to try to see as many as possible new species that I missed out on last time because my girlfriend was ill on the last morning and we missed the last outing of the tour...which would've brought me another six lifers...

So, a record-breaking year for me....!

Total species across all countries visited was 224, 17 more than my previous best year! This included 16 lifers.

My garden list was 44, exactly the same as 2013, but with 2 new species not seen in the garden before.

My UK list was 161, exactly the same as 2013, but this included 5 lifers and a further 8 new species on the UK list.

My other main list was Spain, from two holidays there, at Easter and in the summer. The Spain total was 96, 5 more than in 2013 and including 4 lifers and a further 10 new species for my Spain list

Other lists (total/change/lifers/new for country) were:
Switzerland (47/+13/1/10)
France (47/+16/1/13)
Germany (33/-/0/12)
Sweden (33/-/1/17)
Finland (46/-/3/first visit)
Norway (31/+13/1/13)
Ireland (17/-12/0/3)

Almost all birding in these other countries was fitted in during trips away with work, so were not exactly extensive or intensive, so quite pleasing to add 7 lifers!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back