• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 7x42 Question (3 Viewers)

Happy to oblige, John. Piccies are a little less slap-dash than the first but still a bit off the cuff!
The Acid Test (oh how often I've said that phrase, without actually carrying one out!) is on hold, pending getting hold of the necessary acid. I had a look at my car battery yesterday, but it appears to be sealed!

Attachments

• R0027856.jpg
    R0027856.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 57
  • R0027861.jpg
    R0027861.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 44
  • R0027862.jpg
    R0027862.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 62
The attached are a bit small for useful examination, so I've added a link to the full-sized images on my Flickr space, where there is also an album of pictures of my habicht 8x30 binoculars. Most of the images are black & white, which I think rather suits the subject matter.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgtgczf

Last edited:
I suspect these parts are aluminum on the early Habichts. Magnesium came later on in most mfrs. efforts.

As far, as far as testing goes, both may corrode easily with acid. And remember how pure Magnesium strips
burn in chemistry class, woof.. An alloy will not be as easy to test.

Jerry

Hi Simon,

Well that’s interesting, I managed to be both wrong and right, and find out something new!

As can be seen, yours is the HABICHT-TYROL version. The reason I didn’t consider that, is because all the specimens I’ve seen to date have had N type eyepieces - either 8x30N or 10x40N.

So this prompts a follow-up question: is there ‘Made in Austria’ or some other marking on the front axle cap?

John

Magnesium alloy known as Elektron proved problematic for marine use due to corrosion. The kreigsmarine rejected Hensoldt roof binoculars. For land use they needed to be looked after.

Attachments

• 3ddced64087273a19114291a84cb6fe4.jpg
    3ddced64087273a19114291a84cb6fe4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 91
...is there ‘Made in Austria’ or some other marking on the front axle cap? John
The former! I'm relieved that it sounds like the bridge pieces are aluminium ally, 'cos I'll be able to paint them myself, rather than have to get a professional metal finisher to do the job, as I would have had to have done if the pieces were mag. alloy. I could see difficulties with doing that, 'cos the bridge pieces appear firmly attached to the steel tube elements of the construction and getting them apart is going too far down the road of deconstruction for my comfort and skill level. If it's aluminium alloy, I'll be content with masking off the interior and steel elements, applying my Dremel brushes carefully and repainting with a suitable primer.
I'm not seeking to recreate an 'as new' finish, which just wouldn't be appropriate for an item of this age, but rather to make good the most badly damaged elements and leave the least worn areas as they are.

Attachments

• 31035230567_50610c17f2_z.jpg
    31035230567_50610c17f2_z.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 21
...the battery acid test

OK, so the hot news is that I've done the acid test, with a drop of battery acid and there was no change in the drop of acid, placed carefully on the freshly cleaned area of the arm piece, so the conculsion I draw is that the pieces are almost certainly made from aluminium alloy not magnesium alloy. Onto the next stage - masking and cleaning... How Exciting!

I have acquired these 7x42 Falke but cant seem to date them using the pdf trad numbering conventions. S/N is742590 and Swarowski Optik Tirol is in Diamond on LHS and Falke 7x42EV is on RHS. Optically they are super sharp but mould showing when looking through objective lens. Any idea of age please

Attachments

• 20240302_115826.jpg
    20240302_115826.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240302_115832.jpg
    20240302_115832.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
Hi megbuster,

This is only the third 7x42 Falke that I’ve seen, with the other two marked the same as yours
and numbered slightly later at #746,422 and 746,424.

Both were listed by UK sellers. So it seems they were part of a small number made for the UK market.

All are numbered in the regular 7x42 Habicht sequence - see the third table in post #7. Your unit likely dates from the mid 1960's.
As indicated, the EV/ single coated Falke alternative (to the DV/ dual coated Habicht) lasted until 1968.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back