• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Bunting? N.Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

royc

Is this just a Reed Bunting,just that its head and bill shape and colour is throwing me.Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN4295_259.jpg
    DSCN4295_259.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 254
While Reed buntings are variable and similar coloured paler birds like yours are regular ( and I am with Nutcracker that overexposure adds to the paleness in this bird), I understand, why you post this photo here:

bill shape seems realy slightly unusual for a Reed bunting, to narrow based and with a concav culmen (but I have seen similar Reed before, but they still had a slightly deeper bill-base)
I have looking for Reed buntings with a pinkish/flesh lower mandible in Europe for years now, and still havent found one.
Im not sure about the bill colour, I have the gut feeling that the flesh coloured bill in your bird is an artefact and doesnt represent the real colour of your bird.

But as these two points are features of Pallas RB according to literature, I hope for more comments from birders with experience of this species and more pictures. They might be helpfull in judging the real bill-colour.

Edit: i agree with all, that with more photos this bird will turn into a Reed bunting, but who knows?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back