• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard - St.Ives (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Hi all,
Just back from a weekend family get-together in St.Ives. Wonderful coincidence as allowed me to go see the Snowy Owl:t:. Anyway ...

... I saw the attached in the hotel grounds and had thought, without checking, was a Common Buzzard. I see this morning that a Rough-Legged Buzzard is in the area. Could this be one?

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Buzzard1.jpg
    Buzzard1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 181
Hi all,
Just back from a weekend family get-together in St.Ives. Wonderful coincidence as allowed me to go see the Snowy Owl:t:. Anyway ...

... I saw the attached in the hotel grounds and had thought, without checking, was a Common Buzzard. I see this morning that a Rough-Legged Buzzard is in the area. Could this be one?

Cheers
John

Hope you didn't get too close to the Snowy Owl:-O:-O:-O

Hope you didn't get too close to the Snowy Owl:-O:-O:-O

I'll answer the question with a picture, Paul. Owl was just below crest on opposite hillside. Everyone beautifully behaved in the 60mins I was there on Sunday. Was no need to get any closer as long distance views were great.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Owlers.jpg
    Owlers.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 277
I'll answer the question with a picture, Paul. Owl was just below crest on opposite hillside. Everyone beautifully behaved in the 60mins I was there on Sunday. Was no need to get any closer as long distance views were great.

Cheers
John

Thanks John looks very civilised. Where was the bloke with the camera getting all the grief on the other thread? Had he gone to borrow a helicopter to get a closer view?

Cheers
John

Good to see some distance there John! (think the guy had snuck off by then Paul ;))

Agree with the IDs

I see a rock pipit rather than a meadow, very dark head, next to no supercilium and a long beak, also the legs aren't anywhere near as bright as what I'd expect on a meadow pipit. Admittedly it's well-marked on the belly.

I see a rock pipit rather than a meadow, very dark head, next to no supercilium and a long beak, also the legs aren't anywhere near as bright as what I'd expect on a meadow pipit. Admittedly it's well-marked on the belly.

Think you could be right Nick. I looked at this rather quickly having my mind on Snowy Owls! - and also took location to be London without reading the original post! |^| Think belly/upper breast marks look OK for Rock - rather thick continuous streaks on upper breast and head darked/unmarked as you say. Not sure how reliable pic is on leg colour though but a good call I reckon!

I'm going off to central London for a family get together next weekend ..... can someone please arrange for a genuinely wild Snowy Owl to be on hand for me too?

I'm going off to central London for a family get together next weekend ..... can someone please arrange for a genuinely wild Snowy Owl to be on hand for me too?

I know the tree (courtesy of Des McKenzie) in which a Tawny Owl roosts in Kensington Gardens. Will that do, John? 8-P;)

Thanks everyone for additional comments on Pipit.

Cheers
John

:-O:-O:-O ... the first post was requesting a Buzzard ID and said they'd just got back from seeing the SO .... I didn't read the Pipit post at all and just barely read the first one ie. 'got as far as 'just got back from seeing SO'

Perhaps you'll see a sillouhette of one flying through the night sky - or maybe not raptors aren't easy to ID from sillouhettes I've found - but it definitely wasn't amongst this lot though http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=129721 :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back