• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galveston - Rockport; midway stop-off (1 Viewer)

Birdbox

staringin2thevoid
I'm looking for a decent stopping off point midway between Galveston and Rockport.

When departing High Island in mid April I'll be working my way down the Bolivar peninsula in the middle of the day. Then obviously I'll be catching the ferry. I don't then fancy the 230+ mile drive all the way to Rockport. I'd prefer to break up the journey and the halfway point puts me in the Lake Texana area. Is this a worthwhile site? or how about (the little visited) Mustang Creek recreation area? Formosa-Tejano wetlands a little further south?

I did exactly the same journey a week ago and broke it at Brazos Bend. I must admit it's not quite half way to Rockport, but 150 miles (about three hours) is not too difficult on easy roads. There are potentially lots of sites on the way (Freeport and San Bernard on the coast, or the Guadalupe River Delta) so you could easily make a day of it.

If you take TX 35 from the Houston/Alvin area to Rockport, Port Lavaca would make a good stop. There's lots of good birding in the area, including Magic Ridge Sanctuary (which belongs to the TX Ornithological Society) and Port O'Connor. Hwy 35 itself offers good birding.

The Formosa Wetlands area, just a few miles off of 35, can be very productive for waterfowl, etc.

Just north of Tivoli, there is a fish farm or somesuch, and Bald Eagle is usually around, as are fields full of geese. Aransas National Wildlife Refuge offers good birding, including access to at least one family of Whooping Cranes in season. Swainson's Warbler nests at Aransas, too.

So, if you take TX 35 rather than US 59/77, there's plenty of opportunities.

BTW, the ABA Guide to the Texas Coast covers many of the spots I mention here.

Best of luck.

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate that. I'm glad you've pointed out the ease of use of the 35 as opposed to the 59.

I'd leant toward Brazos Bend but felt it was n't far enough along. I'll compare it with the other sites mentioned. This should be the last gap in my itinerary to be plugged ... then, of course, when I arrive there's a massive fallout of Mexican stuff and the whole thing goes pear-shaped!

If there are species you're especially interested in seeing, send me an email at sgross77 AT comcast DOT net

I'll be happy to help you plan your trip.

Steve Gross
President, Texas Ornithological Society

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back