• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (1 Viewer)

Hirundo leucopyga Meyen, 1834 (now Tachycineta leucopyga)

According to Mlíkovský (and also in Zoonomen), published on page 73 in Meyen, F. J. F. (1834), Beiträge zur Zoologie, gesammelt auf einer Reise um die Erde. 4. Vögel. Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher 16 (Supplement) 1: 59–124.

A search for this in BHL gives what appears to be possibly the right paper here (title page), with the correct author and partly same article title, but with a different journal title. However page 73 gives no mention of any Hirundo, nor does a text search find 'Hirundo' anywhere in the paper.

Any clarifications where I've gone wrong, please?

Hirundo leucopyga Meyen, 1834 (now Tachycineta leucopyga)

According to Mlíkovský (and also in Zoonomen), published on page 73 in Meyen, F. J. F. (1834), Beiträge zur Zoologie, gesammelt auf einer Reise um die Erde. 4. Vögel. Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher 16 (Supplement) 1: 59–124.

A search for this in BHL gives what appears to be possibly the right paper here (title page), with the correct author and partly same article title, but with a different journal title. However page 73 gives no mention of any Hirundo, nor does a text search find 'Hirundo' anywhere in the paper.

Any clarifications where I've gone wrong, please?
You missed the "Supplement" detail in the ref, and BHL lacks it, I think. (Or at least, I always failed to find it there.)
https://books.google.com/books?id=_ckAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA73

Excellent, thanks! Though the item at BHL is - or at least claims to be - the supplement (see printscreen below!). Maybe BHL uploaded the wrong book by accident?
Quite possibly.
You are indeed right that BHL claims it to be a supplement to the Tomus 16 of Nova Acta Physico-medica Academiae Caesareae Leopoldino-Carolinae Naturae Curiosorum (= Band 8 of Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher), but the title page does not cite the journal, and it wasn't even published at the same location (Berlin, vs. Bonn & Bratislava for the journal). (Compare to the title pages of the Google Books volume, or to the supplements of other volumes at BHL.)

Quite possibly.
You are indeed right that BHL claims it to be a supplement to the Tomus 16 of Nova Acta Physico-medica Academiae Caesareae Leopoldino-Carolinae Naturae Curiosorum (= Band 8 of Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher), but the title page does not cite the journal, and it wasn't even published at the same location (Berlin, vs. Bonn & Bratislava for the journal). (Compare to the title pages of the Google Books volume, or to the supplements of other volumes at BHL.)
Thanks again! Is there any way of notifying them they have the wrong book there?

OK this is somehow a reprint here. But where can I find the OD of Troglodytes sissonii in The California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences Vol 29(1) p. 7. The year 1868 seems to be missing here.

The year 1868 seems to be missing
If you find the California Farmer for 1867 I would like to see Pipilo Socorroensis Grayson California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences 28 (16): 127, Oct. 24, 1867 also.

California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences, both 1867 and 1868, Non-digitized; here, or here, alt. here. Though (allegedly) digitized, here, but only if you create an account, or "Start a 7-Day Free Trial").

Good luck finding them both!

/B

PS. I have no idea on how "Free" that truly is ;)

Histoire Naturelle (Buffon; Didot edition by Daudin). Plotus rufus [now Anhinga rufa], '14: 319, 1802' - I can't find this; the version(s) at BHL have different volume number / publication date combinations

Any details, please?

I got excited reading a tweet from JSTOR:

You can search all open access content on JSTOR without a login - there's more than 6,000 ebooks and over 150 journals: https://jstor.org/open/

But it was a fake news/hoax.
Rest in peace Aaron Schwartz of blessed memory! I want to read Jehl's oystercatcher paper in JSTOR's deathgrip.

Opredelitel' Promyslovykh Ptits (Buturlin, 1933) - available anywhere, please? Includes the description of Anser (fabalis / serrirostris) rossicus on vol. & page 1: 60. Presumably in Russian. If no copy available, does anyone know what the protonym was?

Edit: found this from a year later, also by Buturlin; gives Anser serrirostris rossicus as the protonym.

Last edited:
I would (without having seen the OD) say that the Original Spelling/Protonym probably was; "Anser (Melanonyx) serrirostris rossicus".

See here (p.99). But if it truly was? I cannot tell. Good luck finding it.

/B

I would (without having seen the OD) say that the Original Spelling/Protonym probably was; "Anser (Melanonyx) serrirostris rossicus".

See here (p.99). But if it truly was? I cannot tell. Good luck finding it.

/B
Thanks! That looks reasonably conclusive.

And now another Russian paper, please!:
Uchenia Zapiski Imperatorskovo Moskovskii Univ.
Accipiter gentilis buteoides (Menzbier, 1882) in vol. 2 p. 440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back