• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kamchatka Flowers (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Anyone able to offer any insight into the names of these flowers, all photographed recently in central Kamchatka?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 65
And some more.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 67
#2 could be Veronica grandiflora

Have you searched on iNaturalist

Thanks, yes looks good for #2. I've posted my photos on iNaturalist now. It seems to be a really good site. I'll give it a while and see if anyone identifies them and if not I'll see if I can identify them myself from other photos there.

Thanks, yes looks good for #2. I've posted my photos on iNaturalist now. It seems to be a really good site. I'll give it a while and see if anyone identifies them and if not I'll see if I can identify them myself from other photos there.

It is an excellent site, but needs to be treated with caution, many misidentifications, even those at "research grade" so always try to find corroboration elsewhere, although I know this can often be impossible.

Use the Explore function, and home in on Kamchatka.

3rd one could be Pedicularis Lousewort.
1st one Geranium.
7th one Speedwell-Forget me not?

It's photo 4 that's a Pedicularis sp.
1 looks similar to Geranium pratense but not familiar with Geranium spp in this area, but I know it occurs in central Asian in Kazakhstan.
7 does seem to be a Veronica sp.

2 is a Vicia, similar to V. villosa.
5/6 Astragalus/Oxytropis spp

Last edited:
Arbu could I ask you what you took with you on your trip and what you would take if you had only known? I am asking as virus permitting I will be going with NatureTrek next year.

Arbu could I ask you what you took with you on your trip and what you would take if you had only known? I am asking as virus permitting I will be going with NatureTrek next year.

I think our trip was a little different to a NatureTrek one. You can see details here https://secretcompass.com/expedition/kamchatka-volcano-expedition/ (that's me at the back in the main photo). We started out with 30kg packs so I couldn't have carried anything more really.

On some of my trips I have done some sketching with oil pastels. I didn't do any on this trip - there wasn't really time and anyway as I say I already had too much to carry. But if you can sit down for 3-4 hours and produce a good sketch, it encourages you to really take the location in, and makes such a good souvenir when you get back home.

Bit to extreme for me. I am more into trying to photograph the sea birds. If I was in my twenty's hell yes, looks really good.

Bit to extreme for me. I am more into trying to photograph the sea birds. If I was in my twenty's hell yes, looks really good.

Yes, the organiser and leader seemed to have a bit of a masochistic bent. The trip was run when the mosquitoes were at their worst (and they were horrendous). A few weeks later and apparently they would have gone. And he took us 2000m up the flank of a volcano one day to camp on a col for two nights before coming straight back down again. But the 30kg backpacks were probably unavoidable as we needed 14 days of food plus crampons, helmets and quite a bit of emergency medical equipment (not much of a rescue service there). I was actually 45 when I did it.

Boris Bolshakov has kindly identified them all on iNaturalist. They are:

1. Woolly Cranesbill (Geranium erianthum)
2. Tufted Vetch (Vicia cracca)
3. Saussurea nuda
4. Pedicularis pallasii
5. Oxytropis revoluta
6. Alpine Milkvetch (Astragalus alpinus)
7. Veronica Grandiflora
8. Northern Pink (Dianthus repens)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back