• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please plus behaviour? (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

The pictures included I took in early May, 2009 on a high hilltop in the Alentejo, Portugal. These beetles (?) were settling on the base of a fire watch tower and on rocks nearby (with a few other species - inc. earwig sp). I've seen this phenomenon at the same place a number of times - always in hot (c.28-30ºC) weather. The site is good for seeing butterflies hill-topping (mainly Southern Scarce Swallowtail, Common Swallowtail, Southern Gatekeeper and Cleopatra) but not in large numbers. The insects in the photos were present in extremely large numbers - probably over 50,000 - the photos don't do justice. Is this common behaviour?

There are some large communication masts on the same hill but they are inaccessible and too far away to see if these pretty things were also congregating there. (No I'm not suggesting that these insects were affected ;) )

Attachments

• L1190357.jpg
    L1190357.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 34
  • L1190358.jpg
    L1190358.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 25
The beetles are Chrysolina americana (rosemary beetle), a flightless species native to Europe (despite the name). I've never seen concentrations like those, very impressive and interesting. Perhaps they're breeding swarms.

I wonder what the Earwigs are up to then?

There could have been something there (over the cement/metal structure) that our limited human senses cannot detect (especially from photos!) and that could have eventually been attractive for the earwigs as it was for the beetles. Just an idea, but no idea really :king: o:D

The beetles are Chrysolina americana (rosemary beetle), a flightless species native to Europe (despite the name). I've never seen concentrations like those, very impressive and interesting. Perhaps they're breeding swarms.

Many thanks Rafael! The hill in question, I'm sure you will know is Serra de Alcaria Ruiva (370m). I'm guessing (if my memory isn't failing) I have seen these beetles in some numbers, albeit much smaller amounts than on the day (5th May, 2009) I took the photos, some half a dozen times. Sometimes in the order of 100 or so and others in low hundreds. The immediate area has some wild Rosemary and plenty of Lavender. I had assumed they had flown there so them being flightless is even more remarkable. I've looked them up and they are nocturnal I see and these were fairly static with some moving around to get into bits of shade. Some climbed up my tripod and trouser legs. I hope that this can be seen by somebody more knowledgeable again and solve the puzzle!

There could have been something there (over the cement/metal structure) that our limited human senses cannot detect (especially from photos!) and that could have eventually been attractive for the earwigs as it was for the beetles. Just an idea, but no idea really :king: o:D

I wondered if they could have just walked up and up until they reached the top - why?

Sure do, beautiful place in spring and a top spot for large eagles and other raptors (I'd guess that most Iberian raptors have been seen there?).

Apart from rarities yes - though I have seen Rüppells there twice. On some visits, upwards of 10 species in a couple of hours inc. 5 eagle species.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back