• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calcarius pictus mersi Kemsies, 1961 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Not sure if his middle name is present in the key. The OD we find here as Calcarius pictus mersi. The dedication is to:

I take great pleasure in naming this previously undescribed subspecies in honor of Mr. Wm. H. Mers, for many years an ardent supporter of the ornithological work at the University of Cincinnati.

So it looks The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct with his William H. Mers. His middle name is William Henry Mers at that time 438 Klotter Ave. Here we find him as Mers, William H., living in 1659 Marlowe Ave., Cincinnati 24, Ohio.

I have no clue about his life dates. But I am confident that one can find them here on Ancestry (eventually born 1928). But maybe the information is already present in the key (not alive at the moment). In this case apologize for the duplication of information.

Take it for what's worth.

Yes a good point but Junior (1928-1991) was only 33 in 1961 when OD written so it doesnt seem likely he was a supporter of UCi for "many years".

At least the Jr. can't be a student in 1921/22 as written in Annual catalogue of the University of Cincinnati. But "many years" is relatively vague. Five years can be many years for many (not all) people.

Mers' ssp. of 'Painted Bunting' (alt. Smith's Longspur) + and 2 X Rowe's ditto/s

Another piece (even more relevant, even closer to the topic) is to be seen in the same newspaper; Cincinnati Enquirer, from 31st of January 1960:

"Subspecies Of Birds Named For Prominent Cincinnatians" (here).

Mr Mers, among the "three prominent Cincinnati buisnessmen and amateur ontithologist" mentioned, as commemorated by Kemsies, was apparently an Accountant by trade, (head) partner of the firm "Wm. H. Mers & Co.", as well as; "... for more than 20 years a member of the UC Evening College faculty".

[which, in my mind, would make "Junior (1928-1991)" far, far less likely. If so he must have been one of the youngest ever taking Evening classes]. ;)

If of any help? If still in any doubt/s?

To me, it looks like Paul got it right in #2 (at least it could very well be him).

Björn

PS. The same piece also tells us some about: "Stanley M. Rowe Sr. and Stanley M. Rowe Jr. ... local industrialists.", equally commemorated (i.e. in roweorum, in the same paper, by Kemsies 1961, p.148-149).
--

Last edited:
For the sake of completeness:

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Smith's Longspur ssp. Calcarius pictus roweorum Kemsies, 1961 NCR; NRM
Stanley M. Rowe Sr (1890–1987) was an American businessman and arborealist, and his on Stanley M. Rowe Jr (1918–2009) was a businessman and naturalist in Cincinnati. They founded and supported the Cincinnati Nature Center.

The old key:

Stanley M. Rowe, Sr. (1890-1987) US businessman, arborealist, and his son Stanley M. Rowe, Jr. (1918-2009) businessman, naturalist (syn. Calcarius pictus).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back