• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds using uv to migrate at night? (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
It's known that birds migrate at night - it's been quoted they use the stars or the earths magnetic field. Clear nights rather than cloudy nights.

Two further separate bits of information (perhaps) had me wondering ...

1) Birds can see in the UV part of the spectrum

2) The night sky looks very different in the UV spectrum (source - trailer for the forthcoming Stephen Hawking film.) Paraphrased "It glows like nothing else you've seen", or something like that.

If no. 2 is correct, anyone heard anything along these lines before? Can't say I have tbh.

It is also noted that cloud usually inhibits uv light from reaching the earths surface (UVB).

What would the night sky look like to a bird in the UV end of the spectrum?

Thoughts/any reference to this elsewhere? (My quick google search didn't come up with anything).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back