• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32, First Impressions (2 Viewers)

At the hospital, we simply call it COVID.

When I come home from work, I look forward to learning more about the SF32, rather than reading about COVID, especially here.

Hi Cajanuma,

There is a fundamental technical distinction between:
a) the name of the virus, which is ‘severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2’ aka SARS-CoV-2, and;
b) the disease that it causes, which is ‘coronavirus disease 2019’ aka COVID-19

And while the distinction is of course scrupulously observed in the medical literature, in common usage the effect has been conflated with the cause
Though of course the distinction does not materially alter the point that you were making

FYI

John

Duly noted, thanks!

BTW I'm not on this thread to discuss the virus either; my main binoculars since 2009 have been a pair of Victory FL 7x42 that I am very happy with, so I am keen to follow new developments that concern Zeiss binoculars with wide fields of view

Please, no more posts here regarding the current pandemic, whatever we call it

There are threads available on Rufflied Feathers.

Thank you.

Lee

Does anybody who had a chance to already see through and use a real 32SF own or use a 42SF as well? How do they compare under real world conditions?
I would personally tend to grab the 42 for sure just for that bit of more low light performance and more general use options (bad weather, low light) as size and weight are not my primary considerations.
How does the 32SF compare to the classic Nikon EII?

Does anybody who had a chance to already see through and use a real 32SF own or use a 42SF as well? How do they compare under real world conditions?
I would personally tend to grab the 42 for sure just for that bit of more low light performance and more general use options (bad weather, low light) as size and weight are not my primary considerations.
How does the 32SF compare to the classic Nikon EII?

You're going to have to be patient and wait a while for those answers. Why?
1. Not many examples of 32mm SF out in the field and being tested / reviewed at the moment. Troubadour on BF is the only person I'm currently aware of who has this opportunity, perhaps then someone in the USA.
2. I dont feel that they will initially be compared against a classic porro as you've specifically mentioned, albeit Japanese, rather say a Swarovski EL, Nikon EDG, Leica Ultravid and the Zeiss FL, all in 32mm
3. In depth laboratory examinations will follow some time down the line. First reports will probably be a quick personal but thorough assessment and quite soon.
See Lee's statement in post #170 - " A Mega Standout".

Last edited:
Yes that's all okay. I am ready to wait for the big optical lab stories.
Just a bit more hands on comment would be nice now (if already available) comparing to -honestly trying not to offend anyone- debates of focuser direction length with extended eyepiece and such.
Typically with trade shows and pr-events going regularly we would have more people with first hand experience by now it seems.

Fortunately, many of us already own a decent pair of binoculars, and equally fortunately :) some of us also have a wife who will help us use the objective rather than the ocular of said binocular to view the issue of whether we need another.

Edmund

Fortunately, many of us already own a decent pair of binoculars, and equally fortunately :) some of us also have a wife who will help us use the objective rather than the ocular of said binocular to view the issue of whether we need another.

Edmund

Then you'd better not let her catch you being on this section of the forum, Edmund ;-)

All the best,

Tom

some of us also have a wife who will help us use the objective rather than the ocular of said binocular to view the issue of whether we need another.

Edmund

Edmund, use this method of binocular-viewing to show her the price....

Lee

I'm surprised no one has asked about edge performance. Could you do some star testing or similar and let us know how well sharpness is maintained to the edge of your new SF's field of view?

I'm surprised no one has asked about edge performance. Could you do some star testing or similar and let us know how well sharpness is maintained to the edge of your new SF's field of view?

AFAIK star testing doesn't say anything about perceived sharpness other than objectively reveal the presence of aberrations which can then be described subjectively. However, although edge sharpness isn't a priority for everybody I shall definitely have comments to make about this, and many other aspects in the review.

Lee

AFAIK star testing doesn't say anything about perceived sharpness other than objectively reveal the presence of aberrations which can then be described subjectively. However, although edge sharpness isn't a priority for everybody I shall definitely have comments to make about this, and many other aspects in the review.

Lee

Lee - I would have thought that star testing does say something about "perceived sharpness". The barrel you are testing on a star at best focus shows how well that point is resolved. That will relate to the subjectively perceived sharpness.

Objective star testing and resolution tests will show how this binocular (one sample) compares to another. How about it ?

Lee - I would have thought that star testing does say something about "perceived sharpness". The barrel you are testing on a star at best focus shows how well that point is resolved. That will relate to the subjectively perceived sharpness.

Objective star testing and resolution tests will show how this binocular (one sample) compares to another. How about it ?

That kind of testing will have to wait for someone with the required skills to do them Dippy. and my priority is in nature observation. Is this something you might volunteer to undertake?

Lee

Last edited:
I think this thread has lasted too long. If Zeiss have a good new product they can ship it, and buyer word of mouth will sell it.

Most people get to test a binocular for a few minutes before buying it, if lucky. Surely the influencers have had their minutes.

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back