• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LCE adaptor Mod (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

Have you got an early LCE adaptor. Mine is for a Leica and is a very snug fit on my 20-60 eyepiece, but it is held in place by 3 small white plastic screws.

Now you will find as you get older all your facilities start to go i.e. a bit hamfisted, and I found these 3 screws a little too awkward to get on with.

Bought eagleeye version which is very good, but my LCE version is a better, snugger fit.

So what to do. Well I am reaonably competent at DIY well I can turn a drill on.

Take one LCE adaptor + one 5mm screw and nut, drill out one hole on adaptor to 5.5mm. Put 5mm screw through hole from inside of adaptor just drilled attach nut, carefully apply araldite around hole on outside of adaptor tighten screw to hold nut in place.

Leave 24 hours. Undo screw and screw in from outside place Andy's electrical tape around head of screw to suit.

VOILLA I can use it again.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Pete :t:

Thanks Pete, I well remember those extremely unpleasant little white nylon screws (with fragile threads!) that were a nightmare to tighten on frosty mornings... I think the very first version that I received had just the one screw (never found I needed to use more anyway). I got Trev to send me about twenty spare ones!

I'd often thought about getting larger screws, but the wall thickness of the adapter was too thin for comfort.
Laurence Poh suggested glueing a small toothpaste top (or similar) to the top of the screws to provide something larger to get a grip of.
Regards,
Andy

I know what you mean about the screws being fiddly,just a thought to make the screws easier to hold/turn why not use wingnuts instead?

Regards Stevo.

Stevo

Wing nuts sound like a good idea but could prove difficult to source, at least I'm not sure our local DIY emporiumstock them.

I did think of trying to araldite a suitable nut on to the end of the screw.

As you can see I like my araldite.

Pete

I discarded the three screws from my LCE and simply wrapped a turn or two of black plastic electrical tape around the eyepiece so the adapter fits snugly on the eyepiece. Works fine without the screws.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back