• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with buying vintage binoculars (1 Viewer)

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum and new to binoculars. I was wondering if you could help me figuring out which binoculars to buy. I would like to buy something that is vintage, compact (under 500g/1.1lbs), good quality (optics and built), aesthetically looks nice (I don't mind age-related blemishes or marks), for around $100-130. I would go to $150 for a really good quality pair. I wear glasses, so good eye relief could be a relevant factor.
Thank you for your help. ;)
P

Hi P,
Welcome.

The problems are weight and wearing glasses.

Usually vintage binoculars are heavier than 500g and the eye relief is smaller, because of wider fields.

Something like a Hensoldt roof prism could be light, but may or may not cost more than your budget.

There are also real problems with internal moisture and dirt and the binocular is quite likely out of alignment.
There are few repairers who can fix this properly and it may cost more than the binocular is worth.

However, if you go to a thrift shop or charity shops in the U.K. you may find something very cheap and very good.
Boot fairs in the U.K. produce great binoculars for £10 to £20.

What are you thinking of observing?

It is probable that a modern $150 binocular would be a better bet.
But I am all for old bargains.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
I guess roof prism bins look more compact, but there might be porro binoculars that are comparably compact.
I would like to have a good pair that functions as a all-around tool for my outdoor trips (birds, other animals, trees, etc.). I'm new to binoculars.
I have been looking at some vintage options on ebay and found some interesting pieces but don't know exactly how good these binoculars are.
I do like the looks of vintage bins but I would also consider buying modern ones if the specs are more adjusted to what I want.
Thanks again.

I do not have a long deep binocular history like some on this forum, but I have been poking around the auction and classified sites a bit and bought a few used items in my time.

I think on eBay, it's kind of a crap shoot as to the actual quality. The hinges might be tight, the focuser might be uneven, the collimation might be a little off. I think it might be a lot "safer" to try looking at BirdForum's classifieds, or Astromart.com (it's really worth the $15 membership to buy/sell there) or cloudynights.com. I, personally, would trust those enthusiasts more with an honest (and knowledgeable) description than random person on ebay. The main problem would be that most will be x42 or x50 or larger.

Another resource is allbinos.com (https://www.allbinos.com/binoculars.html) where you can lookup the stats on most any pair you find. It will tell you the weight and eye relief and dimensions.

On Astromart, there is a pair of Zeiss West 8x30 for $275 that comes in at < 500g but only has 9mm eye relief. As the others noted, eye relief will be a problem and so might price. There's also the problem of getting too old and the lens coatings will start to be an issue -- either there are none, or the scratch off easily, or they are single coated, etc.

On ebay, I've seen some bausch & lomb Zephyr 6x30s and some Wuest M-20 6x30 for under $100. I'm not vouching for those auctions, just giving a few other examples of what you could look at. Again, I'd be much more comfortable getting something like that from astromart or cloudynights than random ebay guy. There's lots of stuff that could be wrong with vintage binoculars (usually a lot of googling for articles on Birdforum or cloudynights will inform you about specific models).

Marc

Last edited:
Even the lightweight Optolyth Alpin 10x40 weighs about 595g.
There are old Opticron lightweight binoculars.
There are WW2 lightweight 8x30 Porroprism binoculars, but probably in a bad state and crumbling now.

Anything you buy from where you said is likely to disappoint, however attractive they look.

The weight maximum should be increased to at least 600g, I think, and a modern binocular with a warranty is a better bet.

Unless you can actually try a binocular, say from a friend selling one.
It must be hands on buying an old binocular so far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Thanks again.
I'm new to binoculars and was not aware of people selling them on those websites, thanks for that. I'm fairly experienced in buying on ebay from sellers with very good feedback and never had problems, but also I never bought binoculars there.
I really appreciate your suggestions. I'll have a look at different options and get back to you with a list of possibilities and perhaps you could help me choose.
The reason I want lightweight binoculars is that I will take them to a backpacking trip to Asia in the near future; the space I have to carry stuff is limited.
Pedro

If these bins are to be used backpacking in Asia you may want to look at new compact roof prism models. Many modern bins will be water proof which will keep all that humidity out. Many vintage bins are not water proof.

The Nikon Prostaff 8x30 fits weight limit is a bit over budget and would be one to consider.

Last edited:
If these bins are to be used backpacking in Asia you may want to look at new roof prism models. Many modern bins will be water proof which will keep all that humidity out. Many vintage bins are not water proof.

The Nikon Prostaff 8x30 fit your budget and weight limits and would be one to consider.

I agree that in the tropics, a good modern binocular will do you much better with anti-fog and weather sealing. They will also be armored so bumps and drops will not be a disaster.

The Opticron Discovery 8x32 is only 13.8oz (391g) with a "super light-weight ABS body" for $229 new . I've used the Discovery 7x42 and thought the optics were pretty good. There's a variety of $150 or less bins from Opticron, Hawke, and Vortex ($179 for Diamondbacks), but I have not used them except the Hawke Endurance 8x32 that I was not impressed with.

Marc

The Bushnell custom 6x25 for $125. This one should be special. Most of these Bushnell elites custom are 7x magnificaiton that are known to be excellent. smaller reverse Porro.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Bushn...213400?hash=item2cdc196758:g:ShIAAOSwKsdbq9sb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUSHNELL-C...122529?hash=item3facce0521:g:C4oAAOSwa5lbq-xX

Vixen direct binoculars Foresta ZR8 x 32WP at 174 dollars. Porro.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vixen-dire...137367?hash=item2391647d57:g:4RUAAOSw2fxZygER

Sightron SII Series Blue Sky Binocular 8x32mm Roof Prism BAK4 Glass Green Rubber at 210 dollars.
This a "cheap" popular item here on Birdform. It is well made and the body is tough composite materials.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightron-S...881956&hash=item2a7945bb1e:g:a2oAAOSwImRYfCjr

Do you like some of these choices?
Rob.

Good thinking to post here for opinions before you buy. How would you mainly use them? Why vintage? I agree with Rob that for a great value, snag a BX-1. I've had the 6x and the 8x and prefer the 6. Good luck no matter what you choose.

I would mainly use them first on my backpacking trip to Asia and then on my occasional outdoor activities to observe wild life like birds and other animals.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll devote some time to this as soon as I can and I'll get back to you.

P

I realize we might not have made this clear, but 500g / 1.1 lb is a low weight which is why some of us have recommended 32mm (or smaller) objective size.

In 32mm, you likely want to be 6x - 8x magnification to keep them bright enough for general use. A 10x32 would get dim fast if not in good light. The "exit pupil" size is the objective size (e.g. 32) divided by the magnification (e.g. 8), for example 32/8 = 4mm. Most human eyes will be, roughly, 5mm - 6mm in poor light (there's a lot of studies about this someone more qualified could recount or you could search other posts on this board, it's been explained before), so a 4mm exit pupil will start to get dim. Younger people will have a larger maximum pupil size, so an 8x50, for example, could be very bright in poor light for a youngster but for me, I probably max out a bit under 5mm.

If you are going to use them in cities or in forests or places with limited line of sight, a 6x - 7x might be all you need. If you will be on open plains or looking offshore or off mountains, a 10x might be better (but will be maybe 1.5lb - 2lb in 42mm objective). 6x-7x usually also have a fairly wide field of view so it is easier to find things than with a higher magnification with a more limited field of view.

Finally, some binocular will focus close, say 4' - 6', while others will be 10' - 15' or more. Vintage binoculars usually have worse close focus distance than modern. This is important if you plan to use them in museums or arboretums or look at little critters like butterflies or bees in flower beds you walk past.

So, it would be worth thinking about how you will use them and where you will use them and how bright you need them to be in poor light.

Marc

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. Responding to Marc, I intend to use the binoculars on natural settings rather than cities. However, I wanted to buy something that was of good quality, but also versatile, not for a particular application. It's important to be compact.

Based on your suggestions and thoughts I'm more inclined to buy a "modern" pair of binoculars rather than vintage, which was my original plan. I like how some of the vintage binoculars look but you made a good point that the modern ones offer certain specs that can be better for me (eg, the eye relief since I wear glasses).

Thus, I made a list of binoculars, divided by approx price for your consideration. I used your recommendations combined with some items that I read about in other websites. There are quite a lot, and since I'm a total amateur I would be very grateful if you could help me narrow down the list. The prices are approximate and I intend to look for an used version of the selected pair (or I might buy new if necessary). I still haven't fully explored the websites you recommended in addition to ebay or amazon. In the end I still kept two "vintage" binoculars in the list as they might be interesting.

Please have a look at the list and let me know if there are any the clearly stand out as being great or really bad:

<$100
Kowa YF30 YF30-8 8x30
Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 8x30mm
Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32
Celestron 71330 Nature DX 8x32
Celestron 71328 Nature DX 8x25

$100-$200
Pentax 9x28 A-Series AD WP
NIKON 8x30 Prostaff 7s
Vortex 8x28 Diamondback
Opticron Aspheric LE WP 8x25
MEOPTA Binoculars meosport 8 x 25

>$200
Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED
MINOX BV II 62030 8 x 25 BR

Vintage
Steiner Safari II 8x30
Steiner 8X30 Military Marine

The original Leupold 8x30 Yosemite was an excellent binocular when it first came out. I had one and gave it to my brother who is still using it. I wish I had purchased 3 of them! Leupold has put it through a number of cosmentic changes since then but it is still a fine binocular.

I have the Pentax 9x28. It has excellent eye relief but a narrow FOV and astigmatic edges and problems with veiling glare in conditions conducive to it.

After trying one out I gave my son a Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED to take with him to Brazil for general use where he has been employed by Fulbright USA teaching English for nearly 2 years. It is still working fine after being carried around during his travels from Belem to places like Manaus, Sao Paulo, Rio, Salvador, Aracaju and other destinations.

Bob

Last edited:
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum and new to binoculars. I was wondering if you could help me figuring out which binoculars to buy. I would like to buy something that is vintage, compact (under 500g/1.1lbs), good quality (optics and built), aesthetically looks nice (I don't mind age-related blemishes or marks), for around $100-130. I would go to $150 for a really good quality pair. I wear glasses, so good eye relief could be a relevant factor.
Thank you for your help. ;)
P

Hi and Welcome:

Could you please tell us EXACTLY what “vintage” means to you? One need not look too hard at “eagle Bait” offerings to come to believe it means “old,” “junk,” or both. And, I have never seen a Steiner I would refer to as vintage, for a number of reasons. Thus, narrowing your search would be helpful, at least for us to be better able to help you.

Also understand you’re not going to find “a really quality pair” for $150 or less. But being new to binocular observing and the industry, you don’t need a “really quality pair.” Having had no binocular before, $150 will buy you an ADEQUATE binocular—if properly collimated. With that you can learn. Don’t spend more money until YOU see a need to do so. Binocular forums have some folks eager to spend YOUR money on what THEY would like to have; keep your hand on your wallet until YOU decide it’s time to move up.

When you get into the “really quality” level, you may be sucked into the one-upmanship game. So many members will compare two of the best binos the world has ever produced, and fault find them to death, with some of the differences they’re comparing demonstrably below a human’s proven ability to recognize—at least for the reason claimed. Thus, you must decide what is the most important to you: talking about it ... or looking through it and enjoying nature. When I was a teen, I had a 3-inch Gilbert telescope in a paper tube and an all plastic eyepiece. With it I saw the moon, Venus, Saturn, Mars, and Jupiter. I then grew up to be an optical tech and seat-of-the-pants engineer. Then I saw coma, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, curvature of field, etc. When do you suppose I was happiest?

$2,000 to $3,000 will buy you “a really quality pair.” But $500 to $600 will buy a rational, non-nitnoid a binocular that will serve him well for the rest of his life. :cat:

Keep us posted.

Back in my hole, now.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi WJC.
That's a great post, thanks for the wise words.

As I mentioned I'm a total amateur in this world. In my mind, I want a pair of binoculars that I can use on my outdoor activities - that includes visiting national or state parks, forests, camping, etc. I will soon go on a backpacking trip to India and Southeast Asia and I intend to use the binoculars there. Thus, I need something that is compact and lightweight (I thought 500g would be my threshold). I wear glasses, so the eye relief component is important. I intend to mostly use them with good light conditions, but would like to have something that could also work in dimmer light. I was thinking, from my little knowledge, to get something like 8x25 or 8x32. I understand that for $150 or less I'm still in the "not-so-really-good-quality" level, but I would like, of course, to buy something that is of good build quality for the price. I might be able to find $150 for a used that pair of binoculars that new cost more than that and hence could potentially be in a higher quality level. Or I could spend $150 or less for a pair of new binoculars that suit well my needs. I compiled a list of choices that I have been gathering from here and there and posted it a few hours ago.

I was initially thinking about vintage (or vintage-looking; idk how to exactly define it) binoculars but comments from other users made me think that probably a more modern pair could be better.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

I think the Kowa 8x30 and Leupold BX-1 8x30 are the same binocular. At least I've seen others say that, and they usually in the same breath say how happy they are with the Leopolds. I've not used them.

The "military/marine" are "Individual Sports-Auto Focus System" which is a fancy way of saying that you adjust each eye piece independently for your particular vision then there is no focus knob -- your eyes do the focusing (the "auto-focus system"). I've not used them, but I think people complain they are not particularly sharp for birding. But someone who's seen through them should say.

I thought someone mentioned them, but the Sightron Blue Sky SII 8x32 gets good reviews on this site for a budget binocular. About $200 on amazon, i think.

I'd personally pick 3 (e.g. yosemite, sightrons, and zeiss terras or minox), order them all from Amazon, be very careful with them and the packaging, and try them out. Likely one will fit your eyes far better than the others. It will be something you'll just see and feel intuitively. I bet the optics will all be pretty close with different tradeoffs, but one pair will likely just work better for you. Then return the other two and get a credit back before your bill is due :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back