• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange looking bird in Glossop UK (1 Viewer)

Alberon

Hi all,

I'm not an active bird watcher but am interested in nature generally and am pretty aware of what birds you can see locally to me.
I was walking the dog around the housing estate where I live early this morning and noticed what I thought was a Jay on a lawn I was approaching. When I got closer I realised it wasn't, it had a lot of white on it especially around the head and its tail feathers. It was actually around the size of a blackbird and was moving across the ground in a similar way but with this weird plumage.

I took a picture with my phone and have blown it up but it is a bit grainy.

Any ideas, is it just a discoloured Blackbird or something else?

Attachments

• Strange bird.jpg
    Strange bird.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 185
Hi,

Thanks for that, reading the BTO article it seems the condition is fairly common and on the increase. First time I've seen one though.

Strange Looking bird in Glossop UK

This bird was photographed and videoed in South east derbyshire not by me But by a friend It was probabily the same bird that was seen last summer by My friends sister briefly while she was out jogging, I,ve not witnessed the bird Myself but it is often seen and was remarkablely approachable has my friends Video proves only 8 seconds long only the eyes stop this bird from being a Albino and their not black eyes more brown than anything to have a bird like This on your doorstep you have to consider yourself a lucky man I certainly do along with the pictures and video I have they were taken last April, Its been raining Heavily and the bird is preening his feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_120601 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180413_120601 (2).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
An amazing bird!.....how about an albino x leucistic Blackbird?....cos those pink legs just don't conform to the latter, and as for the brown Iris :eek!:

:t:

An amazing bird!.....how about an albino x leucistic Blackbird?....cos those pink legs just don't conform to the latter, and as for the brown Iris :eek!:

Hi Ken, Yes he is a lovely looking bird, I belong to the Derbyshire Ornithological Society, and apart from 5 reports from the 1950,s and 7 from the 1960,s I have all thee other reports printed by the society upto 2016 and thou I,ve been Told this particular type of bird is more common than you Imagine which (Nationally) I Imagine It may be, there is only one documented record in all The reports I have which was in late January 1981 in Brailsford Derbyshire, which states a white blackbird with black eyes, I,m not sure what they class as A partial Albino.

Ken, taking into consideration that you're most probably joking, I'll just add:

1/ albinos rarely make it to sexual maturity, in as much as their poor eyesight normally lead to a very short lifespan in the wild. Notice how photos of albinos usually show juveniles.

2/ in the unlikely event of an albino mating with a leucistic bird (as the bird(s) in this post clearly is(are)), the resulting offspring couldn't possibly ever result in a "partly albino" in as much being albino is a condition akin to pregnancy. It's either or.
You cannot be "a little bit pregnant, or 40% pregnant......;)

3/

Peter

Ken, taking into consideration that you're most probably joking, I'll just add:

1/ albinos rarely make it to sexual maturity, in as much as their poor eyesight normally lead to a very short lifespan in the wild. Notice how photos of albinos usually show juveniles.

2/ in the unlikely event of an albino mating with a leucistic bird (as the bird(s) in this post clearly is(are)), the resulting offspring couldn't possibly ever result in a "partly albino" in as much being albino is a condition akin to pregnancy. It's either or.
You cannot be "a little bit pregnant, or 40% pregnant......;)

3/

Peter

Peter, It might be the result of an "Aviary" bred cross, then released or escaped? Whatever "term" might be applied to this individual or indeed the "Polish" Mute Swans in Steve's post.....a superb looking bird either way!

Also regarding pregnancy...have you never head of a "phantom". ;)

Hi Ken, Yes he is a lovely looking bird, I belong to the Derbyshire Ornithological Society, and apart from 5 reports from the 1950,s and 7 from the 1960,s I have all thee other reports printed by the society upto 2016 and thou I,ve been Told this particular type of bird is more common than you Imagine which (Nationally) I Imagine It may be, there is only one documented record in all The reports I have which was in late January 1981 in Brailsford Derbyshire, which states a white blackbird with black eyes, I,m not sure what they class as A partial Albino.

Yes coaltit!....I'd be very interested in how the powers that be "classify" an individual such as this. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back