Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lakenheath and beyond

Old Monday 14th May 2012, 11:51   #1
mallingbirder

Lakenheath and beyond

Hi all

Considering a very early trip up to Lakenheath at the weekend for a chance of Golden Oriole and then on to Weeting Heath for Stone Curlew. However I'm not sufficiently familiar with Suffolk/Norfolk to know if there are any other sites nearby that would be worth checking out while I'm up there? I'm doing a day trip from Kent and expect to spend most of the morning at Lakenheath and Weeting but wouldn't mind extending the itinerary to another site nearby or on my way back to Kent? Any advice/tips?

Many thanks

Adam
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 12:05   #2
JamesA
Crap Birder

Could try some of Thetford Forest, like Santon Downham/Lynford Arboretum.
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 14:13   #3
Meropes

In addition to the forest sites, Lackford Lakes is nearby and can be worth a visit - the feeders near the car park, before you go to the visitor centre, can turn up lots of good farmland birds, including tree sparrows and the scrub around there usually holds a few vocal nightingales (although you should get one of these at least at Lakenheath). You sometimes also get Turtle Dove on the wires over the car park, although again, you may see these around the entrance/car park at Lakenheath.
Old Monday 14th May 2012, 20:26   #4
mallingbirder

Cheers fellas - I recall Lynford Arboretum being good for Hawfinch, but presumably during the winter? Thetford is supposed to be good for Goshawk I've heard, but I guess that's a matter of luck more than anything.

Fingers crossed for Sunday!

Adam
Old Thursday 17th May 2012, 15:27   #5
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallingbirder View Post
Cheers fellas - I recall Lynford Arboretum being good for Hawfinch, but presumably during the winter? Thetford is supposed to be good for Goshawk I've heard, but I guess that's a matter of luck more than anything. Fingers crossed for Sunday! Adam
Although Hawfinch will be nesting now, scan the tops of deciduous trees that have fresh tender leaves - these form part of the nestlings' diet. There may well be Firecrest, but Lynford is quite large. Don't leave anything in view in your vehicle - the risk is probably no higher than anywhere else, but the long evenings can tempt thieves out.

Goshawk is very much a matter of luck, immatures and non-breeders being likely to wander widely. If you find a large open area and can view from the shadowed side, you may be lucky if you have a decent sightline down-sun. More likely would be Hobby. After recent torrentail rain, a number of passerines may be making a second attempt to nest, so early-morning birdsong could bring you Woodlark.
MJB
Old Friday 18th May 2012, 17:30   #6
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Adam
there's a carload of BF members from Yorkshire gonna be down at Lakenheath of Sunday morning, might be good to meet up and pool forces?
Look out for my baseball cap, has Swift written across the front, the w being in the shape of a swift.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: