• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optical zoom or digital zoom for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

rkcross

Hi; I am a newbee trying to obtain knowledge in digiscoping. I know there is optical and digital zooms, and for digiscoping should be 4x or below. I read, heard somewhere that you should turn off the digital zoom and only use the optical zoom. Is this true? Do simple point and shoot cameras have the option to turn off the digital zoom? Hopefully, these questions don't sound to elementary my camera knowledge is limited. Bob

Bob, there's not much point to digital zoom except perhaps as a manual focusing aid. No camera forces you to use it and it's usually best ignored. Optical zoom on the other hand can be extremely useful. It's true though that most digiscope-friendly compacts tend to have optical zooms limited to 3 or 4x (5x in some cases). As a rule, anything higher than that seems to necessitate a lens design which makes it prone to vignetting when coupled to an eyepiece.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back