• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hd (1 Viewer)

dries1

Why do manufacturers use the acronym HD in their advertising, it is now all over the place/net etc with respect to binoculars. And when did they start using it.

Andy W.

Why do manufacturers use the acronym HD in their advertising, it is now all over the place/net etc with respect to binoculars. And when did they start using it.

Andy W.

Sounds good. HDTV. Not to be confused with digital. Lots of things, including tripods, bags, etc are now "digital" in the camera world.

--AP

Andy W.

It was a successful advertising ploy. Yes, it has meaning ... TO A POINT. Yet, after that point (based on the limits of visual acuity) it falls apart. Even so, the layman—often starved to understand or care about the truth—will continue to be impressed and spend his money.

But tell me, does being able to see the pores in an actor’s face make up for a poor storyline? Often, we just don’t care. I really like the movie UNSTOPPABLE. However, as a railfan, I know it drips with inaccuracies and impossibilities. But, I like it anyway.

What constitutes HD today may be useless technology tomorrow because the eye can only resolve so much.

“Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.”— Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer

Bill :cat:

Last edited:
Thanks Alexis and Bill. It was the other day when an OP asked me is my glass had HD, (it was not one the many green ones out there) I felt stumped, so I told him it had ED glass, he said what is that? Then I just said it is not HD glass.

Andy W.

Then I just said it is not HD glass.

Andy W.

Hi, Andy:

The area between HD and ED is where the lines blur. But, you know my mantra ... DOES IT MATTER?

Stackin' BBs all night long ... daylight come an me wan go home. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
HD is a meaningless phrase, like, new and improved (was what it replaced the "Old and cruddy"?) ED acually has a meaning Extra Low Dispersion glass.

I was always a scientist never got into the marketing side of things, but as Alexis said, HD is everywhere, now even stamped on a binocular tube of a premium German Optic manufacturer.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I've seen high-definition (HD) defined in various ways, but most often interchangeably with extra-low dispersion (ED) — suggesting they are simply two ways of expressing the same thing. Could that be correct? Well, possibly so, since ED glass, when properly used in an optical design, reduces chromatic aberration, — and this, in turn, increases the observer's grating resolution using the instrument. *

Ed

* There are exceptions. Under certain laboratory conditions chromatic aberration can also produce false resolution.

So wouldn't the HD term mean the manufactures highest grade of ED glass used in its products at the present time....??....

So wouldn't the HD term mean the manufactures highest grade of ED glass used in its products at the present time....??....

Selecting the best (i.e., optimal) ED glass for a system design is based on how its dispersion characteristics work in conjunction with the other glass elements in the system. Glass 'quality' (i.e., manufacturing grade) could affect various aberrations, assembly stress tolerances, and cost.

Another way of putting it is that the mere inclusion of ED glass does not in and of itself guarantee better system performance, even using the highest quality material. What matters is how all the elements work together, and that's what the HD label, which Swarovski prefers to use, should be all about. But even they slip-up in advertising and refer to "HD elements," which as Doug suggested is a meaningless phrase.

Ed

Last edited:
I would agree with others above that in the binocular world HD has no specific meaning at all. However, I've reason to think that at least one oriental OEM uses ED and HD in their offering to customers to distinguish different oprical design standards, including grade of ED glass. Occasional that has spilled over into product naming and description, 'HD glass' has become a selling point for some brands. Unfortunately, less discriminating producers and sales teams now seem to use the term for any old rubbish. So we are back to square one. Let your eye be the guide.

David

Even some audio headphone manufacturers throw in HD as selling point, I havn't seen it used on dog bicuits yet....

I stand corrected........and slightly bemused, from the reviews it appears that HD can be slightly problematical if you are an ancient chihuahua or have lost some teeth. I assume optics designers have taken this into consideration.

I stand corrected........and slightly bemused, from the reviews it appears that HD can be slightly problematical if you are an ancient chihuahua or have lost some teeth. I assume optics designers have taken this into consideration.

:-O 3:)

No.

As has been mentioned, HD is a meaningless phrase for optics. It is a marketing term 'borrowed' from the Audio Visual display industry standard. HDTV (High Definition TV) is a standard that requires 720p resolution (720 lines vertically). This is still what is mostly broadcast as 'HD' programs. For reference, DVD quality is 540p (Standard Definition TV). 'Full HD' is 1080p (Blu-Ray 1920x1080 resolution - probably what your current smartphone screen is).

It all came into common usage around the turn of the millenium, and has nothing to do with ED glass of which there are many grades. I have even seen 'HD' used as 'high density'.

Personally I'm still waiting for the first Direct Injection Twin Cam Variable Geometry Electric Hybrid Twin Scroll Turbine binocular ! 3:)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back