• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spain in February (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

I might get the chance for a short break in mid-Feb next year.

I have two areas that i'd like to visit, but probably won't have time to do both, so I'm looking for advice.

I'm tempted by the Pyranees where I'd be hoping for Wallcreeper, Snow/Citril Finch, Alpine Chough and possibly Black Woodpecker?

Alternatively, I was thinking about further south where I still "need" Spanish Imperial Eagle, Great Bustard, Little Swift and a few others.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Extremadura including Monfrague in February would get you Spanish Imperial & Great Bustard, migrating cranes, both sandgrouse, little bustard, great spotted cuckoo etc, etc. I had them plus lesser kestrel and other stuff in the last week of February a couple of years ago.

Little swift is reported from the mouth of the Guadalquivir, but that's a bit of a trip.

I've been to the Pyrenees in late April a couple of times and had your target species (except snowfinch) and there was still a lot of snow in the high passes. I can't say what it would be like in February.

Catalonia

I'm tempted by the Pyrenees where I'd be hoping for Wallcreeper, Snow/Citril Finch, Alpine Chough and possibly Black Woodpecker?

Hi Rob

All are present in the Pyrenees north of Barcelona, although most Wallcreeper drop to lower mountain ranges and coastal cliffs much nearer during the winter. Alpine Chough and Citril Finch are standard species up there all year round. For the last 2/3 years a flock of 150+ Snowfinch have been present too but of course do depend upon there being snow. Unfortunately, this heavy snow often makes the tracks impassable rendering Black Woodpecker harder and more dependent on luck.

On balance mid-February is quite possibly the best time.

All the best

The local experts have already given their thoughts - the pyrenees and lower regions are a stone's throw from boletas birdwatching centre - wallcreeper should be very likely nearby, but fresh snowfalls may hinder any attempts to get higher for Snowfinch, Alpine Chough, Black woodpecker as only main roads are snow-ploughed immediately after snowfalls. Little bustard and Dupont's lark are possible (the latter if they have returned) on the plains. Ryan Air Zaragoza flights from stansted are cheapest to that area.

Alternatively, I was thinking about further south where I still "need" Spanish Imperial Eagle, Great Bustard, Little Swift and a few others.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Spanish Imperial Eagle & Great Bustard can be seen in Madrid. Not the best place for birdwatching but very well communicated with all Europe.

Spanish Imperial Eagle & Great Bustard can be seen in Madrid. Not the best place for birdwatching but very well communicated with all Europe.

But heavily overlooked as a short-break destination... With >30 pairs of Spanish imperial eagles and >700 Great Bustards, plus heaps of other goodies, it's pretty good! But then I would say that, wouldn't I?!

Hi Rob
In the Sierra de San Pedro Natural Park, we have the greatest concentration of Spanish Imperial eagles on the peninsula (it was in the Extremadura El Periodico newspaper just before Xmas http://www.elperiodicoextremadura.com/noticias/noticia.asp?pkid=551750 - only available in Spanish, I´m afraid). Last year, I saw one in Marvao (hilltop castle/village just across the border in Portugal) soaring on the thermals below me - very strange to see them from above.

Whimp that I am, I'd point out that the 'far south' could be a lot warmer than the Pyrenees! Pick the right week and it can be a pleasant 60-65F so I'd go south and save the northern mountains for Spring/Summer. Great Bustard can be 'had' near Seville, SIEs can be found at various sites (but I suspect Extremadura would be better) and Litte Swift should be possible (yes, even in February). What are the 'few others' you also need?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back