Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Conservation in the Trumpocene

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Tuesday 3rd January 2017, 12:42   #26
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
Says, "the Atlantic", NYT and Huff Po homie....
Oh, and CNN (that bastion of Red journalism), ABC, NBC, those people,...

PS. I never said you voted Romney, or liked him - but he was the source of the false story that you are repeating, so you are implicitly a supporter, like it or not.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th January 2017, 21:55   #27
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Books not cooked, a surprise to no one except PopTech (though, I suspect in my cynical way, not even to him!) and his dupes--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0eb58648ac638

Another account of this research--
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...arming/512189/

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 5th January 2017 at 01:03.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 18:24   #28
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Nope, not getting started, just finishing....

And I was wrong, your emotions--i. e., childish resentments--are as uncontrolled as ever, I see: "hypocrite" progressives traveling by automobile, "flyover unwashed". Whine, whine, whine.

Ha! Love it!
"Just finishing"....dunno what you're toking, Fugl, but keep telling yourself that.
I suspect that many are still trying find reason right now.
Good luck with that, y'all blew your chance. And frankly there is no light on the horizon either. It's gotta sting...

And the only 'wine-ing' I've been doing is in celebration.....oft-nourished with liberal tears. Schadenfreude..

Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 18:41   #29
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
Oh, and CNN (that bastion of Red journalism), ABC, NBC, those people,...

PS. I never said you voted Romney, or liked him - but he was the source of the false story that you are repeating, so you are implicitly a supporter, like it or not.
Indeed...those people. Wikileaks exposed them for what they are...
Your assertions are baloney, I read O's speeches from that 'tour'...Romney has nothing to do with it.
With your logic, a) Hitler believed the world is round. b) You believe the world is round. c) You are a member of the Nazi party.
Pure rubbish.
Obama has always thought we (the U.S) are the source of many of the world's problems. We aren't perfect but we are a benevolent nation, always there to help others.
The progressive media matters little to me at this point, they are the ones fighting for relevancy.
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 03:40   #30
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
"Just finishing"....dunno what you're toking, Fugl, but keep telling yourself that.
Sorry, flyover country will become even more so under the Trump administration as you will soon learn. . .. In fact, something you would have already learned if you'd had the wit to realize the implications of his cabinet appointments. The man himself, a small mind in a big fat unhealthy body, his election a mere spurt, a spasm, a final unproductive ejaculation of bad seed on stony ground.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Sunday 8th January 2017 at 03:51.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th January 2017, 04:37   #31
litebeam

Quote:
Sorry, flyover country will become even more so under the Trump administration as you will soon learn. . .. In fact, something you would have already learned if you'd had the wit to realize the implications of his cabinet appointments. The man himself, a small mind in a big fat unhealthy body, his election a mere spurt, a spasm, a final unproductive ejaculation of bad seed on stony ground.
Good lord...

You're going to have a long four years, quite possibly more.
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 10:08   #32
dalat

I get it that those who despise Obama, Clinton and Democrats enjoy their Schadenfreude very much at the moment.

Schadenfreude aside, what good do you expect to come out of 4 years of Trump and friends? And to stay on topic, what good to expect on conservation?
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 02:24   #33
litebeam

....Could write a book of hopeful expectations.
For starters:
A concerned, engaged Veteran's Administration.
Renewed hope for jobs for the 95,000,000 out of the workforce.
Repeal disastrous Obamacare. O expected O-CARE to collapse under it's own weight and for Hillary to implement a single payer, gov't-run healthcare. SURPRISE!
Offer solid healthcare with myriad competing insurance options, with across-state-line buying opportunities.
Prudent use of OUR OWN natural resources. Screw the middle east. Hypocrite progressives want their cars but want to ban oil. They want electric cars, but no coal-fired plants, no dams for hydro-electic power. Newsflash, solar ain't cutting it in many latitudes.
More expectations...
Accountability for Gov't agencies. TEA party-type orgs shouldn't be subject to audit due to political vindictiveness.
Lower taxes, especially for small business, the engine of the U.S.
The dumping of Common Core. eg. 1+2=4
The improving of race relations. Obama has destroyed unity in this country.
The edification of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO.
Protection of our 2nd Amendment. And before those who blame guns for crime, look at Chicago, our American Beirut. Young Black men are killing each other and are dying by the hundreds every month in a gun-free city. Beyond sad.
An infinitely stronger military with a peace-through-strength, 'war as a last resort' mentality.
A built-by-Americans, buy-from-Americans mentality.
A 1000-fold tighter border. We are a melting pot, "Welcome to America" should be our attitude, but GET IN LINE.
Immigration may be the biggest reason that DJT was elected, imo.

I'll continue my thoughts on conservation in another posting, we have about 30" of global warming out there that needs plowed (seriously) before it hits below zero tomorrow and thereafter.

Thanks for your positing your questions....

Last edited by litebeam : Tuesday 10th January 2017 at 02:30.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 03:16   #34
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
....Could write a book of hopeful expectations.
For starters:
A concerned, engaged Veteran's Administration.
Renewed hope for jobs for the 95,000,000 out of the workforce.
Repeal disastrous Obamacare. O expected O-CARE to collapse under it's own weight and for Hillary to implement a single payer, gov't-run healthcare. SURPRISE!
Offer solid healthcare with myriad competing insurance options, with across-state-line buying opportunities.
Prudent use of OUR OWN natural resources. Screw the middle east. Hypocrite progressives want their cars but want to ban oil. They want electric cars, but no coal-fired plants, no dams for hydro-electic power. Newsflash, solar ain't cutting it in many latitudes.
More expectations...
Accountability for Gov't agencies. TEA party-type orgs shouldn't be subject to audit due to political vindictiveness.
Lower taxes, especially for small business, the engine of the U.S.
The dumping of Common Core. eg. 1+2=4
The improving of race relations. Obama has destroyed unity in this country.
The edification of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO.
Protection of our 2nd Amendment. And before those who blame guns for crime, look at Chicago, our American Beirut. Young Black men are killing each other and are dying by the hundreds every month in a gun-free city. Beyond sad.
An infinitely stronger military with a peace-through-strength, 'war as a last resort' mentality.
A built-by-Americans, buy-from-Americans mentality.
A 1000-fold tighter border. We are a melting pot, "Welcome to America" should be our attitude, but GET IN LINE.
Immigration may be the biggest reason that DJT was elected, imo.

I'll continue my thoughts on conservation in another posting, we have about 30" of global warming out there that needs plowed (seriously) before it hits below zero tomorrow and thereafter.
Yeah, conservation, that's the toughie, isn't it? Trouble is Trump & co. have zero interest in conservation so there's nothing for you to "retweet" to us on the subject. It will be a new experience for you, thinking things through on your own, and I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

"Edification", another word you need to work on before using it in a sentence. . .. Dto for "persona".

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 07:54   #35
dalat

Quote:
Yeah, we also have a bit of snow currently. I guess that's because it's winter in our latitudes now. It's summer elsewhere and e.g. Australia right now suffers a heat wave. Local weather and seasons aside, 2016 has globally been the hottest year since records started, and the second hottest year in the US.

But I take it from your remark, that you're not overly concerned about this, and suppose you don't expect Trump to be concerned either.

So any other fields of conservation where you expect anything good coming out of a Trump administration?
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 09:24   #36
MJB

Quote:
Yeah, conservation, that's the toughie, isn't it? Trouble is Trump & co. have zero interest in conservation so there's nothing for you to "retweet" to us on the subject. It will be a new experience for you, thinking things through on your own, and I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

"Edification", another word you need to work on before using it in a sentence. . .. Dto for "persona".
Careful Fugl, you might provoke a tantrump....
MJB
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 17:44   #37
litebeam

Quote:

I listed myriad areas of change in my posting, and you're picking nits instead of addressing any real substance.
Precisely why the Dems are down 1000 seats nationally, almost 100 year lows. Majority of Governors, majority in House, Senate, WH....it's giggle worthy.
Cha-Ching....
Well done, most of America thanks you and so do I.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 18:20   #38
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post

But I take it from your remark, that you're not overly concerned about this, and suppose you don't expect Trump to be concerned either.

So any other fields of conservation where you expect anything good coming out of a Trump administration?
You'd be right!

I certainly don't see harm.
I see merit in DJT's positions re: the Dakota and Keystone pipelines rather than the transporting of that oil in less stable means, like rail.

Developing our own natural resources (Texas, Dakotas, Arctic, etc) is paramount geopolitically and economically, and frankly it's less oil being barged on our oceans.
Americans don't buy the progressive hysteria like the demise of the "Appalachian Trail" like was posted earlier. Pure bunk forwarded by groups like the Sierra Club.
Like most things that started out with best intentions, unions, etc, the EPA has gotten out of control and I look forward to seeing Trump get things back in line.
I'm not a fan of nuclear energy, I haven't researched DJT's position on it.
I do know that the overall silence from the Obama admin on the Fukushima disaster has been shameful. It's a global disaster, IMHO.

I've said it before, we need to do these things (Keystone, etc) prudently to avoid environmental issues, but to say that they prompt the end of our planet is stupidity.

I'd be remiss to not reiterate..it's the condescending, progressive Fuglian™ attitude that is why we are poised for MAGA. It's going to be a great 8 years.

Edit>>> likely not changing any minds and I've spent way too much time typing here. Moving on.

Last edited by litebeam : Tuesday 10th January 2017 at 18:40.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 19:17   #39
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I listed myriad areas of change in my posting. . ..
But nothing about Muslims. Does that mean you're less frightened of a Muslim takeover than you used to be?

Quote:
Moving on. . ..
A wise decision. Hasta la vista.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 10th January 2017 at 19:26.

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 00:31   #40
litebeam

Chuckle.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trump_wall.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	611423  
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 07:08   #41
dalat

I did not really expect much of substance on my question on what a Trump supporter would expect a Trump administration doing good on conservation. But nothing at all, zero, nada?

Ok, I probably assumed wrongly that someone who reads and posts in birdforum does actually care about conservation. Apparently not at all.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 10:37   #42
MJB

Concerning "The 'edification' of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO".

I presume 'LEO' is the abbreviation for 'Law Enforcement Officers' or the like, and I note the post above querying 'edification', which means 'the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone', but I'm struggling to figure out what was originally meant - it's probably quite obvious, but perhaps 'evisceration' serves as the intended metaphor. That said, the intended original meaning is rather nullified by this poll, which if validated by others, provides food for thought:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/...nd-the-badge./

Happy reading...
MJB
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 12:58   #43
MTem

MJB what do you think you are doing! - introducing data and analysis into this 'post-truth' subject. It can only end badly.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:33   #44
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I did not really expect much of substance on my question on what a Trump supporter would expect a Trump administration doing good on conservation. But nothing at all, zero, nada?

Ok, I probably assumed wrongly that someone who reads and posts in birdforum does actually care about conservation. Apparently not at all.
Come, come, what else did you expect from that clown?

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:44   #45
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Concerning "The 'edification' of our law enforcement, Obama has destroyed the persona of LEO".

I presume 'LEO' is the abbreviation for 'Law Enforcement Officers' or the like, and I note the post above querying 'edification', which means 'the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone', but I'm struggling to figure out what was originally meant - it's probably quite obvious, but perhaps 'evisceration' serves as the intended metaphor. That said, the intended original meaning is rather nullified by this poll, which if validated by others, provides food for thought: MJB
He obviously meant it as a positive, probably something along the lines of "treat them with enhanced respect and esteem". But who cares what exactly he meant. . ..? However you slice it, it's still baloney.

Poll, schmoll, too many cops are trigger happy, riddling their victims with 15, 20, 30 bullets in situations where all that's required--if that--is a single disabling shot or two to arm or leg. Sure it's a dangerous job--though less so than fire fighting, say--but that's no excuse for panicky overreactions.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 12th January 2017 at 01:16.

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 22:23   #46
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:

I presume 'LEO' is the abbreviation for 'Law Enforcement Officers' or the like,
Naah, it's Long-eared Owl
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 03:27   #47
litebeam

Love it! Center of attention. Gets no better.
Quote:
lol...quite the commentary there. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I self-built my home using the very latest in sustainable technology, cork floors wool carpets, zero VOC paints/stains.. the best of everything. I've posted extensively here at BF about this much to Fuglina's chagrin and disparagement.
My honda gets 50 mpg...very decent by U.S. standards.
I sought that car out to be prudent with fuel usage. I could afford a gas guzzler but chose otherwise.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes? Because I actually believe something beyond mere lip-service unlike the bloviating hypocrites here. I suspect that the constant gloom and doom whiners here do nothing for our environment but bemoan whatever the Huff Po, NYT and The Atlantic tells them to.

Fugl, "clown' is a badge of honor coming from you.
Why would anyone devote the time you do to a complete 'clown'? No, I think it's obvious you are dealing with a case of liberal butthurt of major proportions.

Wonderful watching the confirmation hearings today....should be a helluva cabinet.
Sessions √
Tillerson √ more to come...8 mere days until you snowflakes officially melt down...
Didja see LePen is leading in the French polls? Can you get anything right?

MJB, you disappeared when Poptech presented you with more than you cared to refute....says it all.

Gotta go; need to watch for Muslims at the Fastnesses, and do more reloading.
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 08:24   #48
dalat

Quote:
I sought that car out to be prudent with fuel usage. I could afford a gas guzzler but chose otherwise.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes?
You care for conservation, ok. Still you voted for Trump, whom even you don't expect to do anything good on conservation (judging from you answer above). Didn't you vote against your interest then?
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 14:29   #49
MJB

Quote:
Love it! Center of attention. Gets no better.

I self-built my home using the very latest in sustainable technology, cork floors wool carpets, zero VOC paints/stains.. the best of everything.
My honda gets 50 mpg...very decent by U.S. standards.
Why have I done these conservation lifestyle changes? Because I actually believe something beyond mere lip-service.

MJB, you disappeared when Poptech presented you with more than you cared to refute....says it all.
Well done on your success in building your home and on your pragmatic choice of vehicle - no sarcasm intended at all. I also bought my vehicle for the same reason - it gets almost 53mpg/4.44 litres per 100km - but to reduce my personal impact on the environment, I've halved my annual driving by limiting it to 15,000 miles, which also brings an insurance discount (or a hefty penalty if I go over it).

Re your expressed pleasure in being the centre of attention, I've already asked a friend who researches in HPD (that's the APA definition) at the UK's National Personality Disorder Institute what they thought about your posts. They replied that it would be unethical to attempt any diagnosis from the content alone, but if their content genuinely reflects your views, then your constant need to denigrate would be worth investigating. I confess that I'm perhaps too ready to dismiss pejorative, name-calling and hectoring posts as demented trolling...

As for the Poptech list, fugl was far more pithy than I would have been and so I would have expected most on this thread to reach their own conclusions and make comments in support of what they found, or in opposition. However, I did go through that list which mainly comprised narratives, magazine articles and blog-based polemics, high on unsupported assertions but low in citations of scientific papers that feature in impact analyses across a spread of such resources as Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar, and other databases.
MJB
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 15:59   #50
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
. . .I confess that I'm perhaps too ready to dismiss pejorative, name-calling and hectoring posts as demented trolling...
No, no, not at all, you're being too hard on yourself!

And definitely pithy. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 12th January 2017 at 16:02.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: