• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Puffin 8x32 binoculars any good? (1 Viewer)

Chilt

As the title says really? Are they any good or is there better for the £60 price range? Mainly going to be wooded areas and garden

Thanks for any help

Chilt

I would think that there is a lot of sample variation with a Puffin 8x32, and the binoculars suggested in the other post may be better.

If spending £60 it is essential to try the various binoculars yourself and only buy the binocular tested, even if it is a demonstration model, rather than a supposedly identical boxed new example. It won't be the same.

Definitely check that the alignment of the two barrels is correct and you don't get eyestrain.

I normally check three or six examples of the same binocular and buy the best one.
Look at a distant car number plate for example and see which is the best.

Hi Chilt,

Different people can accept things that drive others mad, you only have to look at past posts by people who can't cope with a focussing wheel that operates in the reverse direction to that they are used to or people who are intolerant of the slightest touch of chromatic abberation. It doesn't matter what other people think, if it drives you mad then you would be foolish not to take it into consideration.

To make something inexpensive then there will probably be compromises, one such as Binastro points out may be quality control, on the other hand, good production engineering can sometimes mean that an inexpensive device can be produced in bulk far more consistently to a higher standard that something costing more with more human involvement.

Reading reviews, many people have bought Puffin binoculars and been delighted with them, others have different expectations and for them it was be wrong. If people can't agree on binoculars costing over 10 times as much, you can guarantee they won't agree here.

It may feel that we are letting you down, but I suspect that very few people, unless they are a dealer or manufacturer has sat down and objectively compared binoculars at this price point. Even 'Which' has no reviews relevant to this discussion. Expertreviews seem to like the Puffins, but I have no idea what they compared them to. Other published reviews don't cover this price range and some come up with some very strange recommendations.

Quite frankly, probably none of us were competent to give you an answer - yes - the Puffin sounds like a good bet, but its based on prejudice rather than fact.

Binastro is so right, if you are buying in this price range, only you can really decide what is right for you.

However, the Aculons you have ordered are a much safer bet, and the 8x seem well priced at the moment.

One day I may pick up a set of RSPB Puffins and give them a try - but not this month.

Have fun with your new purchase.

Hi Chilt,

Different people can accept things that drive others mad, you only have to look at past posts by people who can't cope with a focussing wheel that operates in the reverse direction to that they are used to or people who are intolerant of the slightest touch of chromatic abberation. It doesn't matter what other people think, if it drives you mad then you would be foolish not to take it into consideration.

To make something inexpensive then there will probably be compromises, one such as Binastro points out may be quality control, on the other hand, good production engineering can sometimes mean that an inexpensive device can be produced in bulk far more consistently to a higher standard that something costing more with more human involvement.

Reading reviews, many people have bought Puffin binoculars and been delighted with them, others have different expectations and for them it was be wrong. If people can't agree on binoculars costing over 10 times as much, you can guarantee they won't agree here.

It may feel that we are letting you down, but I suspect that very few people, unless they are a dealer or manufacturer has sat down and objectively compared binoculars at this price point. Even 'Which' has no reviews relevant to this discussion. Expertreviews seem to like the Puffins, but I have no idea what they compared them to. Other published reviews don't cover this price range and some come up with some very strange recommendations.

Quite frankly, probably none of us were competent to give you an answer - yes - the Puffin sounds like a good bet, but its based on prejudice rather than fact.

Binastro is so right, if you are buying in this price range, only you can really decide what is right for you.

However, the Aculons you have ordered are a much safer bet, and the 8x seem well priced at the moment.

One day I may pick up a set of RSPB Puffins and give them a try - but not this month.

Have fun with your new purchase.

I totally understand what you mean! And a cheaper Porro works better than a cheaper roof :) as I’ve found out :) the 8x42 aid a really great set of binoculars :) you’ll have to let me know if you try the puffins and what there like :)

Thanks

Chilt

I wanted to buy an inexpensive pair for my wife and decided on the Puffins. We visited an RSPB site where she tried them to see if they were suitable. She was very happy with them and they are a good pair of binoculars for a beginner. Visit your RSPB reserve and give them a try.

I wanted to buy an inexpensive pair for my wife and decided on the Puffins. We visited an RSPB site where she tried them to see if they were suitable. She was very happy with them and they are a good pair of binoculars for a beginner. Visit your RSPB reserve and give them a try.

Well I’ve got the Nikon Aculon 8x42 now as my starting pair, if I get more it will more than. Likely be an upgrade or I may get the pink puffins for the mrs :)

Thanks for the input 👍🏼

Chilt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back