• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One warbler from yesterday in St Louis, MO (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hello,

I was at the Missouri Botanical Garden yesterday, with a good number of migrant warblers moving around (redstart, magnolia, chestnut-sided, parula, B&W, etc).
Then this one bird came in and perched in a tree right above me, where I was able to take the pictures attached herewith, before it took off, never to be seen again...
I'm wondering if this might be a bay-breasted?

As always, many thanks in advance

T

Attachments

• 6Z1A8874 - Copy.JPG
    6Z1A8874 - Copy.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 6Z1A8872 - Copy.JPG
    6Z1A8872 - Copy.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 6Z1A8876 - Copy.JPG
    6Z1A8876 - Copy.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 51
The tail pattern and overall plumage color and pattern restrict the options to Blackpoll and Bay-breasted. The latter species is decidedly more frequent in fall in Missouri than is the former (eBird frequency graphs for Missouri below):

Bay-breasted

Blackpoll

While I would not want to ID a bird solely on relative frequencies, this difference does provide a good starting point. The flank area is one of the useful features differentiating these two similar species. However, none of the pix show the area well. The under-tail coverts provide another useful ID point, but this bird's coverts seem to not be definitive -- being somewhat creamy, but seemingly somewhat white, depending upon the photo ogled. However, what little we can see of the bird's toes looks quite dark (one toe is visible reasonably well in the headless pic), and that rules out Blackpoll.

The tail pattern and overall plumage color and pattern restrict the options to Blackpoll and Bay-breasted. The latter species is decidedly more frequent in fall in Missouri than is the former (eBird frequency graphs for Missouri below):

Bay-breasted

Blackpoll

While I would not want to ID a bird solely on relative frequencies, this difference does provide a good starting point. The flank area is one of the useful features differentiating these two similar species. However, none of the pix show the area well. The under-tail coverts provide another useful ID point, but this bird's coverts seem to not be definitive -- being somewhat creamy, but seemingly somewhat white, depending upon the photo ogled. However, what little we can see of the bird's toes looks quite dark (one toe is visible reasonably well in the headless pic), and that rules out Blackpoll.

I thought the exact opposite, looks like it has a pale foot in that shot unless it's an artifact of the light?

I'm thinking perhaps Pine Warbler, they can look pretty drab not unlike the subject bird....also appears to have an eye-stripe through pale concentric eye-ring?

Cheers

everything about this looks like Bay-breasted to me. Pine warbler has a longer bill, the cute little head and bill look spot on for Bay-breasted in my opinion.

Agree with Bay-breasted. The feet in Blackpoll are usually decidedly yellow, not just pale. Pine Warbler has a bigger bill and much longer tail.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back