• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Ireland (July) and Scotland (early August) (1 Viewer)

lois_rancilhac

Hello guys,

I'm going to spend the to last weeks of july in Ireland and i'm looking for some good birdwatching places. The trip is not dedicted to birdwatching but I hope I'll still had some time to look for birds.

Target species: Red groose, Corncrake, Roseate and Arctic terns, Twite (if still breeding there).

As I did'nt choose yet my itinerary, places all across ireland are welcome.

After that I'm going to spend two weeks in northern scotland and I hope I could catch some specialities.

Target species: Scotish and Parrot crossbills, Capercaillie, Dotterel.

Thanks a lot by advance,
Loïs.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying ! :)

I already have "Finding birds in Ireland..." but I'd like to have opinion from birders on what are the best places to find my target species or just do some nice birdwatching in july. The book about scottish highlands will probably be my next purchase ;)

Red Grouse much easier in Scotland than Ireland.

Roseate Terns - easy with a boat trip round Coquet Island (Northumberland, in northeast England).

Corncrake - extreme westernmost fringes of Ireland and Scotland. Very tricky in July, as they won't be 'crekking' much if at all.

Twite - easy in the westernmost fringes of Ireland and Scotland.

Scottish Crossbill - forget it, it doesn't exist :t:

Parrot Crossbill - Speyside

Capercaillie - very tricky (near-impossible) in July; they're moulting then so can't fly well, so keep a very low profile.

Dotterel - Cairngorm high tops. Tricky by July.

Last edited:
Check this chapter
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=400

check this page
http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Birdwatching/WheretoWatch/tabid/392/Default.aspx

Good book
"Finding Birds in Ireland"
Eric Dempsey & Michael O'Clery

I was last September on Dingle peninsula.
This shoul dbe the best time, especially for North American rarities.
I rent a house at
https://www.imagineireland.com/?gclid=CKKPi-LeyMwCFRG6GwodZuMBAQ

maybe is not much more expensive than B&B, but in every case undependend.

Buy the way beer is very expensive in Ireland, wine rather normal price, but maybe more expensive like in France.

Thanks for the informations !

For the isirsh part of the trip I think i will visit the lady's island lake area for the terns and perhaps some early waders and the northern part of the co anthrim for the twite and seabirds (carrick-a-rede area seems pretty good). I'll perhaps spend a few days in co Kerry too, seawatch could begin to be good by the end of july...
For the scottish part, I think I'm going to spend a week in the aviemore area, where all my targets are presents, plus other nice birds. Are the insh marshes good in early august ?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back