• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bog orchid new forest (1 Viewer)

Having trouble this year in new forest not in usual places is it too late???

I cant comment directly but I have been struck how the season is very strange this year in Hampshire. Some species flowered 2 weeks early or more, but others have been right on cue, cf late flowering form of Burnt-tip only just appearing. The marsh species appear to have arrived in normal time - Marsh Fragrant and Marsh Helleborine just coming into flower last week.

I would normally expect them from mid-July, so maybe even a bit early.

I cant comment directly but I have been struck how the season is very strange this year in Hampshire. Some species flowered 2 weeks early or more, but others have been right on cue, cf late flowering form of Burnt-tip only just appearing. The marsh species appear to have arrived in normal time - Marsh Fragrant and Marsh Helleborine just coming into flower last week.

I would normally expect them from mid-July, so maybe even a bit early.

Thanks for your imput, the locally more common species were in profusion at my local sites.(N/Hampshire) which was good as my excercise regime during lockdown. Now being allowed further afield thought I would try the New Forest.
Mike

Thanks for your imput, the locally more common species were in profusion at my local sites.(N/Hampshire) which was good as my excercise regime during lockdown. Now being allowed further afield thought I would try the New Forest.
Mike

Hi Mike

I was back in the New Forest today. Found two spikes of Bog Orchid at Hatchet Pond, one probably the largest I have ever seen of this species (still not saying much) and the other probably the smallest. Not easy to find, but now is the right time to look.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back