• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short video showing Manx Shearwaters in burrow, Skomer Island, Wales (1 Viewer)

Andrea Collins

England
A nice little bit of video from the Skomer Manx Shearwater burrow cam showing the adults swapping over nesting duties. They have a very young chick.

As of today the chick appears to be old enough to be left alone as neither adult is present (one was yesterday) and the chick is spending a lot of time just sleeping right at the back of the burrow.

https://twitter.com/WTSWW/status/1279399835473522691

Evidently, the chick isn't in fact old enough to be left entirely alone yet. Although it was alone all day yesterday one of the adults returned in the night and is still present. When I had a look before going to work early this morning the chick was being very vocal. In response, the adult started gathering up all the bits of loose vegetation in the burrow and pushed it all behind itself to where the chick was, after which the chick seemed to settle down a bit.

Screenshot (247).jpg

Me too Rich. I don't manage to visit every year but a friend and I were booked for a couple of nights in September as part of the shearwater week. Was very much looking forward to it but not surprised that it has been cancelled due to the nature of the accommodation and facilities on the island. I'm having to make do with the various cams this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back