• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K-7 with Pentax 300mm f4 (1 Viewer)

stoop

Japan
Saw a guy with this kit when out birding a couple of Sundays ago. I was jealous lugging my hefty Nikon D300 with new but dated Nikkor 300mm F4. The Pentax lens is the same price but half the weight of the Nikkor equivalent**. I have too many cameras at the moment but I reckon if I was starting out tomorrow I'd go for it. Great compact kit with in-body shake-reduction. (and....300mm here, equal to about 450mm (?) in the old school, is long enough for bird photography)

I guess the Pentax forum is so quiet because they're all out in the field. (Too busy?);)

(** Whoops it's not half the weight. It's 1,070g!) Still about a third lighter....Apologies though.

Last edited:
The DA*300mm is a superb lens and gets plenty of use on my K200D and K20D.

I have considered the K-7 but I'm waiting to see if they update it first with one of the newer Sony sensors.

Only other thing I may add is a Pentax 1.7 teleconverter, with the SDM support. I have a Kenko 1.5x converter, which is surprisingly good, but can only be used MF on the DA*300.

I have considered the K-7 but I'm waiting to see if they update it first with one of the newer Sony sensors.

Only other thing I may add is a Pentax 1.7 teleconverter, with the SDM support. I have a Kenko 1.5x converter, which is surprisingly good, but can only be used MF on the DA*300.
Never really considered the K-7 the out lay did not seem worth it. Luckily I have the FA* 600mm so do not really need a converter, but have a look on Pentaxuser.com as there is a converter which supports SDM (sorry can't remember which one off hand).

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, I'll take a look and see what I can find.

I noticed a while ago that the 1.7x Pentax adaptor seems to be in production again in Vietnam, and reports suggest the quality is every bit as good as the original ones. Trouble is, it's only being made available in the Far East and they can be a bit pricey, if you can even find a supplier to ship to the UK - about $399USD.
Lucky swine having the 600mm! I'm usually walking with the 300mm rather than staking out a place. If I do intend to stay in one place for any length of time I'll take along the Sigma 150-500mm instead, which has also given some good shots since I've had it. I also use the Manfrotto 393 head, which is a real bargain compared to other gimbal type heads and great for the Sigma.

Thanks Tom, I'll take a look and see what I can find.

I noticed a while ago that the 1.7x Pentax adaptor seems to be in production again in Vietnam, and reports suggest the quality is every bit as good as the original ones. Trouble is, it's only being made available in the Far East and they can be a bit pricey, if you can even find a supplier to ship to the UK - about $399USD.
Lucky swine having the 600mm! I'm usually walking with the 300mm rather than staking out a place. If I do intend to stay in one place for any length of time I'll take along the Sigma 150-500mm instead, which has also given some good shots since I've had it. I also use the Manfrotto 393 head, which is a real bargain compared to other gimbal type heads and great for the Sigma.
Hi, thanks for the info on the 1.7x Pentax converter.
Used the Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma) for a year but was never really happy with it's sharpness at 500mm, tried most things front/back focus, various heads and tripods to improve things but never really happy with the results.
Finally went completely mad buying the FA 600mm, Gitso 5531S and a Wimberley head late last year. The lens on it's own is just brilliant but with the tripod/head combination it's a really solid easy piece of kit to use.
I agree the Manfrotto 393 head is good, I also built one from scratch and just modified it, .5Kg lighter now. My better half now uses it. (there is a thread on here showing the original one). http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137555&highlight=diy+gimbal

Last edited:
The DA*300/4 is certainly a great lens. However, if you're looking for something compact, the slightly older FA*300/4.5 is just as good optically and somewhat smaller and lighter. Of course it doesn't have Quick Shift Focus (but that's not really useful for bird photography imho) and it lacks a tripod mount. The missing tripod mount may be a problem, but there's cheap Chinese mounts made for Canon that fit nicely onto the FA*300/4.5's barrel. I'm using one of those, so my FA*300/4.5 will remain in my kit, never to be replaced by the DA*300/4 while I keep it in top shape!

Glass like this will survive long. My FA*300/4.5 has seen 4 generations of Pentax DSLRs and is now used on a K-7.

Wim

The DA*300/4 is certainly a great lens. However, if you're looking for something compact, the slightly older FA*300/4.5 is just as good optically and somewhat smaller and lighter. Of course it doesn't have Quick Shift Focus (but that's not really useful for bird photography imho) and it lacks a tripod mount. The missing tripod mount may be a problem, but there's cheap Chinese mounts made for Canon that fit nicely onto the FA*300/4.5's barrel. I'm using one of those, so my FA*300/4.5 will remain in my kit, never to be replaced by the DA*300/4 while I keep it in top shape!

Glass like this will survive long. My FA*300/4.5 has seen 4 generations of Pentax DSLRs and is now used on a K-7.

Wim

Never tried the FA* 300/4.5 but would like to have a go with one, I just went for the DA*300/4 then the FA*600/4.

I am sure that Pentax will continue to upgrade the K-7, but it is already a very fine camera. I have had mine for a few months now and it is very good at controlling noise at high ISO. The added features over my K20D were the reasons for buying this model. The full live view and true horizon indication are great. Highly recommended.

I use mine with the Sigma 100-300 f/4 and 1.4x converter. It is heavy though and a bit tiring after a day out in the open air!

I just ordered the K7 last night, have to pick up the Pentax 300mm lens today in the city. K7 should arrive in a week.
Tried buying it from a camera store in Winnipeg but they wouldn't match online prices, so ordered it from Dell and saved over $500.
Was using an Olympus E510 but it just wasn't cutting it for birding, viewfinder to small and dark for accurate manual focusing. Tried out the K7 at the camera store and found the viewfinder to be large and bright, manual focusing was so easy. Loved it right away.
Considered an Olympus E30 but it was only about $500 cheaper and old technology. Got tired of waiting for the rumored E3, E30 replacement and was concerned that it might be an M4/3 format
Can't wait for the K7 to arrive.
Already have parts of my E510 sold, once I sell everything I should be a lot closer to the price for the E30.
I am already thinking of getting a teleconverter for it, thinking 1.4 or 1.7, then I think I will be in birders paradise.
My only concern was the high noises some reviewers said were present at high ISO, but from pic's I've seen I don't think it will be a problem, won't shoot at ISO 6400 very often, in fact never got to the highest ISO with the E510.

Last edited:
Good luck with the K7... I got one a few weeks ago, to compliment my K20D. I also use the DA*300mm and it's a cracking lens - even centre crops are still sharp, although many of the smaller birds can be fun trying to stalk for a closer shot.

There was a 1.4x TC on the Pentax lens roadmap a year or so ago but it disappeared, but may appear again I hope. The 1.7x TC is a much sought after item and they get snapped up as soon as they appear for sale anywhere.
If I need more reach I'll pack my Sigma 150-500mm which has also served me well and produced some cracking photos - I use it handheld much of the time as I am usually on the move rather than a static watch over an area.

Thanks for tips eenymac.
I am pretty eager to get the K7, got the 300mm lens Friday along with a Panasonic SDHC card.
Camera shipped Friday too, might be lucky and have it by the middle of next week, by weekend for certain.
I'll keep my out out for the teleconverters, think i will try one of those first before getting a 500mm lens.

I have the pentax K-7, but went with the 300mm f2.8 sigma, and 1.4 and 2.0 T.C.
It is heavy but hand holdable with the in camera stabilization it is great.
All of the bird pics shot here were with the rig above.
http://www.pbase.com/gary1952/
I am just now learning how to use it. It is tack at f-4 to about f8. If close it is very good at f2.8, but have to be very close.
G

My K7 arrived Tuesday, of course Purolator did not attempt to deliver it to the house, had to pick it up from their drop off in town.
Having to use Purolator and trying to deal with Dell customer service was the first omen of things gone wrong.
Opened the shipping box, the K7 box looked well worn, immediately got the sense that the camera was used. Open K7 box, no manual or quick set up guide. Battery charged in just over 3 hours not the 6 1/2 that Pentax claimed it would take.
Took camera out to try it out Wednesday morning, took just over 100 pictures.
Image in viewfinder not nearly as clear as the camera I trialled at a camera store. I have the diopter adjustment set to maximum.
Center weighted auto focus focussed on everything else but what was in the center of the viewfinder.
Manual focus would not produce a sharp image in the viewfinder.
Virtually none of the over 100 pictures turned out.
I am totally disheartened.
Have e-mailed Pentax and am hoping they will arrange for an exchange.
Can't get hold of Dell today as no links to their sites work.
I really didn't think I had any worries ordering from dell.
Have tried both the Pentax 18-55 WR and Pentax DA 55-300 lenses and the results are the same.

Last edited:
You have some nice pic's Gary, wished one of the over 100 I took today looked half as good as yours.
My old E-510 takes better pictures than what I got today.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the K7. Does sound though like you were palmed off with a demo or returned unit and should hopefully get a full refund or pristine unused replacement. Just out of interest, what were the image numbers? It might give an indication of shutter activations showing prior usage!

I think you meant to compliment Gary on his images, not me |:d|

Hope you get this sorted soon as the K7 really is a cracking camera with some good glass up front.

Good luck

Ian

The pictures started at 001.
I am really disheartened, hopefully either Dell or Pentax will make it right.
Was able to send Dell a copy of the message I sent to Pentax.
Now I wait to see what happens next. The camera performs so poorly I now doubt I would be willing to have it repaired.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake will edit the post to get the right name posted.
Will post when this is resolved.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back