• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Overwhelmed by choices and forum HELP please! (1 Viewer)

TDog77

We just bought our first spotting scope which was a very good deal on a used Nikon 60mm ED Fieldscope and we have some trips coming up very soon including yellowstone and are in need of a good tripod asap. I figured it would be an easy purchase and put it off for too long and now I am absolutely overwhelmed by the choices and with needing to put everything together for the trips I don't have days to pour over the forums. I was hoping one of you could save me here and provide a couple of solid options that are good quality but won't totally break the bank Hoping to stay under 400 or so but if that just won't cover it I can go a little more. It seems like Manfrotto is a great option but I don't have any idea on the head or leg system to go with. In the mean time it looks like I will be up pretty late pouring over the options. Thanks in advance!

I have that same scope, bought it used as well, great scope. Do you want to hike with this combo or just set up a few yards off the road etc. This can make a big difference on what to get and help others on here give you advice.

Don't see hiking long distances with it at this time but there are occasions that we go birding to certain areas that do require a decent walk in. Is there a good option that is a little more suited to off the road kind of work giving me great stability without it being such a beast that I don't need to build a trailer for it?

I would start by choosing a suitable head. I have a Nikon ED III angled scope and find it rather back heavy. I chose the Manfrotto 701 HDV head which incorporates a sliding plate to help balance the scope and it works well.

The tripod which I use is the Manfrotto 190 CX3, which is quite light but possibly rather short from some people. You do not say whether your scope is the angled or straight version but an angled scope will need a shorter tripod than a straight one. You could take a look at the Manfrotto 055 series which is a little taller than the 190 and a bit more substantial. I am sure you will get plenty of alternative suggestions.

Ron

It seems you might need the Manfrotto O55 series instead of the 190.Still within your $400 limit as long as it is not carbon fiber. Not light wt. , carbon fiber about 2 lbs. lighter, but about $550

found a used 055xprob with a 501 head, think that would work? Obviously it is in the 055 line but with all of the other designations I wonder.

found a used 055xprob with a 501 head, think that would work? Obviously it is in the 055 line but with all of the other designations I wonder.

This combination will be heavy! The Manfrotto 55 is a very decent tripod for the money and the 501 head is simply overkill - never a bad thing IMO!
A (professional photographer friend of mine) quite happily uses his Canon 500mm F4IS and Canon 1D 4 on a 501 HDV head - MUCH heavier than your setup!
I think you will find this combo is all you need for the foreseeable future, later on you may want a Carbon Fiber tripod but I think you will stick with the 501 so long as weight is not too critical.
I use the Manfrotto 701 HDV for my scope and it's very good - the 501 is "Better" but heavier - I generally prefer "Better" if I can manage the weight.

This not the Nikon ED60 but it is very close to the size.

Attachments

• Saker spotting scope& Nikon 058 (800x523).jpg
    Saker spotting scope& Nikon 058 (800x523).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back