• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which older Nikons? (1 Viewer)

scott63

I've seen older Nikons mentioned as a good value entry level spotting scope, specifically from the Japanese market. However I'm wondering which models, and does it matter that I'm interested in the 20-30X range? Thank you, Scott

Any of the old ED Fieldscopes are great value ie the 60mm,78mm or 82mm models. The 60mm MKIII and 82mm are waterproof.

No it doesn't matter if you just want to use lower powers.

I used an EDii for a while and it was an excellent scope for not a lot of money. You can pick them up for about £200 ($260) which is not a lot for such a good performer. If you couple it with the 24x DS eyepiece you have a really nice combo. They aren't waterproof, but I didn't have any issues when using it in the tropics or in rain on the east coast. The newer ED50/EDiii/ED82 are also excellent, and offer views which are as good as (arguably better in some instances) than the current top tier scopes. I prefer my ED82 to my previously owned ATS65HD, APO77, TSN3 & TSN823, but worth trying before you buy. I personally prefer the colour balance of the Nikon scopes, and they are very well constructed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back