• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Buckley in some "Buckleyi Birds" … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some additional info on some South American birds with the scientific name buckleyi

● Ecuadorian Ground-dove Columbina buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1877 a k a "Buckley's Ground-dove"
● Buckley´s Forest-falcon Micrastur buckleyi SWANN 1919 a k a "Buckley´s Harrier-Hawk"
● Buckley's Cotinga (Ptilochloris) Laniisoma (elegans) buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1880 a k a "Buckley's Mourner"

As far as I understand… all three commemorate the almost totally (at least among ornithologist's) unknown British collector: Clarence Buckley (XXXX-XXXX), that on at least three, maybe four, Expeditions (of various lengths) collected (quite a few Birds, but also Mammals, Fishes, Plants etc mostly Butterflies* as well as anthropological items) in South America (mainly in Ecuador and Bolivia) from 1868 until, at least, 1880.

After that he just disappears … as sudden as he once turned up in London (where he apparently arrived one day, from India) shortly before he went to South America.

In the type descriptions of the two former Birds, he is only mentioned as "C. Buckley", but in the latter it clearly states: "Mr Clarence Buckley has just returned from Ecuador, after four years’ absence …"

The same goes for the invalid "Pinarolæma Buckleyi" GOULD 1880 (Synonymous with [his own!?] Colibri c. coruscans GOULD 1846): "MR. CLARENCE BUCKLEY, who has distinguished himself by his zoological researches in South America…". One of very few clues of him is to be found in the description of another invalid sub-specie "Diphlogæna iris buckleyi" VON BERLEPSCH 1887 (Synonymous with Coeligena iris iris GOULD 1854): "… the late Mr. Clarence Buckley, to whom science is indebted for so many interesting discoveries. I have accordingly named it in memory after him."

He apparently passed away before that!

*Only from his first journey to Ecuador Clarence Buckley sent 5000 butterflies to William Chapman Hewitson (of which 200 was new to science!). In the Elementary Text-Book of Entomology from 1892, he is mentioned as "The well-known Mr. Buckley”. In spite of this I haven´t been able to find much more of him and his life …

Does someone know anything more regarding this man?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to be confused with the British traveler Thomas Edward Buckley (1846–1902) commemorated in the two African sub-species (Francolinus) Peliperdix albogularis buckleyi OGILVIE-GRANT 1892 och Mirafra rufocinnamomea buckleyi SHELLEY 1873. Neither has the above mentioned birds (from what I know) anything to do with the other Buckley's, as for example; Colonel Charles S. Buckley (who participated in the American Western Union Telegraph Expedition 1866) or the India stationed Colonel F. Buckley, whose great Butterfly Collection (after his death) was donated to Museum of the Hon. East-India Company 1849.

If the latter Colonel F. Buckley, India, in some way, was related to the first mentioned Clarence Buckley I dare not say. Clarence Buckley was at least reputed as having experience from collecting butterflies in India, when he was sent away on that first South American trip in 1868!?

Here´s some additional info on some South American birds with the scientific name buckleyi

● Ecuadorian Ground-dove Columbina buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1877 a k a "Buckley's Ground-dove"
● Buckley´s Forest-falcon Micrastur buckleyi SWANN 1919 a k a "Buckley´s Harrier-Hawk"
● Buckley's Cotinga (Ptilochloris) Laniisoma (elegans) buckleyi SCLATER & SALVIN 1880 a k a "Buckley's Mourner"

As far as I understand… all three commemorate the almost totally (at least among ornithologist's) unknown British collector: Clarence Buckley (XXXX-XXXX), that on at least three, maybe four, Expeditions (of various lengths) collected (quite a few Birds, but also Mammals, Fishes, Plants etc mostly Butterflies* as well as anthropological items) in South America (mainly in Ecuador and Bolivia) from 1868 until, at least, 1880.

After that he just disappears … as sudden as he once turned up in London (where he apparently arrived one day, from India) shortly before he went to South America.

In the type descriptions of the two former Birds, he is only mentioned as "C. Buckley", but in the latter it clearly states: "Mr Clarence Buckley has just returned from Ecuador, after four years’ absence …"

The same goes for the invalid "Pinarolæma Buckleyi" GOULD 1880 (Synonymous with [his own!?] Colibri c. coruscans GOULD 1846): "MR. CLARENCE BUCKLEY, who has distinguished himself by his zoological researches in South America…". One of very few clues of him is to be found in the description of another invalid sub-specie "Diphlogæna iris buckleyi" VON BERLEPSCH 1887 (Synonymous with Coeligena iris iris GOULD 1854): "… the late Mr. Clarence Buckley, to whom science is indebted for so many interesting discoveries. I have accordingly named it in memory after him."

He apparently passed away before that!

*Only from his first journey to Ecuador Clarence Buckley sent 5000 butterflies to William Chapman Hewitson (of which 200 was new to science!). In the Elementary Text-Book of Entomology from 1892, he is mentioned as "The well-known Mr. Buckley”. In spite of this I haven´t been able to find much more of him and his life …

Does someone know anything more regarding this man?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to be confused with the British traveler Thomas Edward Buckley (1846–1902) commemorated in the two African sub-species (Francolinus) Peliperdix albogularis buckleyi OGILVIE-GRANT 1892 och Mirafra rufocinnamomea buckleyi SHELLEY 1873. Neither has the above mentioned birds (from what I know) anything to do with the other Buckley's, as for example; Colonel Charles S. Buckley (who participated in the American Western Union Telegraph Expedition 1866) or the India stationed Colonel F. Buckley, whose great Butterfly Collection (after his death) was donated to Museum of the Hon. East-India Company 1849.

If the latter Colonel F. Buckley, India, in some way, was related to the first mentioned Clarence Buckley I dare not say. Clarence Buckley was at least reputed as having experience from collecting butterflies in India, when he was sent away on that first South American trip in 1868!?
I'm not sure whether anyone will be interested in this reply but here goes, anyway. Clarence Buckley was born in India in 1834 to Col. Frederick Buckley and his wife Jane Cox. His father, Col. Buckley, was a career soldier with the Bengal Army who died while in India in 1853. His mother, Jane, was born in India and married Frederick Buckley in Calcutta, India but after his death is recorded as living in London till her own death in 1878. Clarence was living in Bloomsbury in London by the time of his marriage to Emma Southcombe in 1860. He later lived with Emma in Regents Park in London and seems to have travelled from there on his collecting trips to South America. Clarence Buckley's wider family was quite wealthy and had lived in many parts of the world so it's perhaps not surprising that he was able and interested in travelling the world. It seems his father was a collector as well so again it's not surprising that he began collecting. The date and place of his death isn't clear but he was still recorded as living in Regents Park in 1885.

Last edited:
Welcome to BirdForum, "Jan18"!

And what an entrance! :t:

Of course we are interested in whatever can be found on the mysterious Clarence Buckley!!! I haven´t been able to find anything additional to what I wrote in 2014 ...

May I ask where you found all this info! And; how come?

Björn

PS. And; are you firmly convinced it´s the proper/same guy!?

PPS. Ouups! Double posting, regarding (asking of) your sources. But don't worry. We're not a distrustful, grudging and envious bunch, we just want to find out the truth! ;)
--

Last edited:
"Jan18", please enlighten us on how you found all those fascinating facts.

I certainly would like to expand my old text with the parts you added! Most of it is in line with what I´d found earlier, but couldn´t (didn´t dare to) claim, simply due to lack of coherence.
:scribe:
Did you, as well, find a clear connection between Clarence Buckley (as in your post #4) and the Museums/Birds involved? Or a link to Sclater and Salvin, alt. to Swann, Gould or von Berlepsch? Or possibly to any other Natural History Institution ... ?

Björn

PS. Just curious; how come you have an interest/knowledge in/about old Clarence?

Following the clues given in post #4, by "Jan18", here´s what I assume is the Marriage of Clarence's Parents; 16th of January 1823, in St John's Cathedral, Calcutta (Kolkata) ...

Though, unfortunately I haven´t been able to tell that it truly concerns "our" guy.

Is there any source where the naturalist/collector Clarence Buckley refer to his Father or Mother, or where any other writer clearly connects them?

Björn

Oh dear! My computer died and everything I'd written to you in response diappeared. To recap: everything that I've found written about your Clarence Buckley fits with my Clarence Buckley, my 1st cousin, 5x removed (his father Col. Frederick Buckley was my 4th greatgrandmother's brother).

Firstly, my Clarence did abruptly 'turn up' in London. I have a record of his father dying in 1853 and an 1861 census record of his mother and brother living in London, presumably having moved there from India to be near family (Clarence's father's brother and sisters also lived there). Clarence himself married his wife, Emma Southcombe, in London in 1860 and lived in Bloomsbury and later in Regents Park. By the way, as a result of having a copy of the marriage certificate, I have Clarence's signature so it could be matched to any records your Clarence may have left.

Secondly, it seems that during the years when he was collecting in South America, the census records don't show him living in London. Emma Buckley is recorded in 1871 and 1881 but not Clarence, while neither of them were recorded in London in the 1861 census when, as a young married couple, Emma may have travelled with him. Clarence is still listed in various street directories in London in 1885 but by 1891, Emma is recorded in the census records as a widow.

Thirdly, the Col Buckley mentioned as having collected butterflies in India, a collection of which was given to the East India Company, is indeed Clarence's father. I have the birth records for Clarence, showing Frederick as his father (like is brother, William, Frederick was an officer in the Bengal Army). Frederick is also recorded as Clarence's father on his marriage certificate to Emma.

Fourthly, the age of your Clarence seems to match mine. His birth record shows him being born in Baitool, Bengal in India on May 30, 1832.

I have researched the family in depth and am quite sure that our Clarence Buckleys are one and the same. If there's something I can find out that will help, please let me know.
Regards
Jan
PS I also have a photo of Clarence's brother as an older man if that might be useful to compare with the photo you have of Clarence.

Sorry to hear about your Computer crash, "Jan18", hopefully you didn't loose to much of your original material ...

However I´m glad that you found your way back to BirdForum. Unfortunatelly, due to another Project, I haven´t got time to dig into Mr Buckley again, not directly, but one odd thing strikes me instantly.

In your first reply (post #4) you wrote: "Clarence Buckley was born in India in 1834 ...", contrary to your latest post: "His birth record shows him being born in Baitool, Bengal in India on May 30, 1832."

New info, or simply a typo in the latter post ... !?

Björn

PS. I will try to compare my notes with your results onwards, when time allows. However, at this point I agree, it sure looks like we're dealing with the same Clarence! Either way: Well done! :t:
--

Last edited:
"Jan18", I forgot one thing ... I hope you have read the Paper; A Portrait of Clarence Buckley, Zoologist, by Vane-Wright, in The Linnean 7 (3), pp.30-33 (1991), here ... with a Portrait (!), no Photo, but a painting, oil on board, from about 1870, when in Ecuador, on p.31.

I'll be back ... in due course, when the time is ripe.

/B

Yes Calalp. I've read the Vane-Wright article and have seen the portrait of Clarence - it was very exciting to read it and see the portrait. I noted the date of that trip , by the way, fits with Clarence's non-appearance in the 1871 census records.

And about C's birth date - I accidentally put his brother Claude's birthdate in as Clarence's. He had an older brother, Frederick Augustus, and a younger brother, Claude Douglas.

Will look forward to talking more when you have time.
Jan

Quick one, "Jan" ... as I find it hard to tell in which post you accidentally put the wrong year (no worries, it has happened to us all ;)):

Was Clarence born in 1832, or in 1834?

And was it "in Baitool, Bengal in India on May 30" ... ? Or was this Claude's place, and date, of Birth?

Just to be on the safe side, before I pick up my pieces. Whenever that might be.

Cheers!

Björn

Sorry, Bjorn! Clarence was born on 30 May 1832 in Baitool, Bengal, India, according to India's Select Births and Baptisms records available on Ancestry.
Jan

I am wondering if there is a relationship to this collector Mr. W. Buckley. And where is the mentioned Citado located in Ecuador?

I know it is not really a question for etymology. OK is it him

William Buckley (1814–1888). Buckley collected extensively in the jungles of Ecuador. Royal Entomological Society Archives

Last edited:
... And where is the mentioned Citado located in Ecuador?
The Second edition of Ornithological gazetteer of Ecuador, by Raymond A. Paynter, Jr. (1993) gives:
Citado, Chimborazo ? Not located
Alt.?: Buckley. 1870 ... a Río Citado, ca. 15 km NW of Alausi ... is shown in Atlas Geográfico del Ecuador ... 1975-1976 ... ; this is the only time "Citado" has appeared on any map or in any gazetteer we have seen; ... it appears that Citado may refer to Río Citado or be a hamlet near the river.

[here]
You´ll find the River, Río Citado, here (south of Pallatanga, Northwest of Alausi, close to the border).

And, this piece might explain why it's so hard to find it on most maps:
"AL SUR.- El Río maguado, aguas abajo, que luego toma el nombre de Río Citado, hasta su confluencia con el Río Chimbo." (here) Helped by Google translate: " TO THE SOUTH.- The Maguado River, downstream, that soon takes the name of Citado River, until its confluence with the Chimbo River."

/B
--

Last edited:
T
"AL SUR.- El Río maguado, aguas abajo, que luego toma el nombre de Río Citado, hasta su confluencia con el Río Chimbo." (here) Helped by Google translate: " TO THE SOUTH.- The Maguado River, downstream, that soon takes the name of Citado River, until its confluence with the Chimbo River."

Thank you for that. It might be that piece or rest of river where Puente Salsipuedes, E487, Colta, Ecuador (in google map) is crossing. I do not think Maguado is a river. For me it is more to translate with a dried up river. But I might be wrong.

... I do not think Maguado is a river. For me it is more to translate with a dried up river. But I might be wrong.
"... río Maguado y El Citado: ubicada en las estribaciones occidentales de Pallatanga. "

Same Google translate: "... the Maguado River and El Citado: located in the western foothills of Pallatanga."

(From here, p.69, or here, p.64)

Last edited:
Apart George Albert Boulenger named a couple of amphibians for your C. Buckley
Thanks, Martin, but I'm not sure that those amphibians are named after "my" Buckley.

Note that the C. in square brackets, "[C.]", in that particular paper doesn't mean C. as in Clarence, but simply "Collected by". See p. vi (here). Also compare with all those marked "[P.]" (i.e. "Presented by").

If William or Clarence Buckley (alt. yet another Buckley?) collected all those amphibians are unknown to me (more than 40 different taxa are mentioned in the same paper, all collected by the same "Mr. Buckley"). Sure, they could have been collected by Clarence, or not. In any case, that certain [C.] part, doesn't tell us either way.

This far, without checking locations and dates, in comparison to the itinerary of each Buckley (and I have no intention to do it), I'll leave the amphibians out of the game ... at least out of my MS (amphibians aren't my cup of tea).

There are enough birds, and bird etymologies, to keep me busy ;)

Björn
-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back