Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Art Coursework

Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 15:48   #1
G.Wills

Art Coursework

Hi all,

This is my first upload on the art forum. I thought you might like to see my GCSE art coursework because you all will probable know what the subjects are unlike my art teachers. The pictures of the Gyr Falcon and the Goshawk are photos and are a little blurred but the Snow Leopard is a scan.

I hope you like them,

Greg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized art work.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	259043  Click image for larger version

Name:	resized art work (2).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	259044  Click image for larger version

Name:	resized art work (3).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	259045  
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:29   #2
timwootton

Hi Greg - welcome to the art bit of BF. Very nice work here - the leopard is really well constructed; so often straight-on portraits end up with eyes different sizes and in the wrong place - this looks like a solid form, the pencil work is strong and unfussy too - good job. I really like the falcon drawing but I'd advise you just keep an eye on the proportions of the bird - it could be the reference you've used, but it looks a little short in the wing to my eye. The head detail is excellent and the plumage is rendered really nicely. As is the gos - a very commendable piece of work. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 16:56   #3
Adam W

Excellent stuff Greg, love the Goshawk.
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 20:32   #4
gropperwinch
Forum Member

I agree, the Goshawk is a superb piece of art. I'd say though that for really good widlife drawings getting out into the countryside and taking field sketches is really helps. You get to appreciate the character, get to know individual birds/animals and all their habits, and (for most on here at least) it really helps us get good drawings. However, you seem to be doing pretty darn well anyway! Good luck with your GCSE, if all you have to do is draw I have no doubt you'll pass with flying colours! Makes me want to go back and re-choose my options!
Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 20:43   #5
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

mmmm 88 views and only 3 posts not very good really. Come on people - Greg has produced some very nice artwork for his portfolio at least give him a nod.

As an old guy who stands no chance of producing artwork anywhere near the quality of yours Greg...here's a big-up from me. I think they are great.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th May 2010, 20:47   #6
colleenc

Welcome to BF....drawing wildlife in my day at art school would have been frowned upon, hope yours is different, whatever they have you draw tho will be of great benefit, it may not be your "style" now, but follow along anyway the more you draw the better you get, it's that simple. And in drawing you may fall in love with line and start to loosen up and use it in very subtle ways to describe your forms...good luck and keep posting.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th May 2010, 07:26   #7
Woody

Hi Greg, welcome to the best bit of BF.

You have a nice, individual and very graphic style of working here, a good range of tones too. I would agree with Tim; Just keep an eye on the proportions of your drawings, perhaps use some light pencil work to establish the overall proportions before beginning the detail and tonal work.

Nice to see you joining in, you'll get plenty of encouragement and good advice on here! Keep it up and good luck with the GCSE's.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 13th May 2010, 18:49   #8
gropperwinch
Forum Member

don't know whether you'd be interested Greg but there are a few forums for young people interested in birds on here too. here are some links to a few of them if you fancy a look

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....160023&page=41
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....rders&page=187
Old Thursday 13th May 2010, 20:46   #9
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

welcome to the art section here - great start here, there are some wonderful passages in these pics that describe the directions of the surface very well, the gos has a great glint in the eye and a nice range of tones. I agree with the advice given to look at proportions (they are so hard sometimes). Hope all is going well for your GCSE, I remember how frustrating it was sometimes when I was doing mine all those years back - art really is a very strange subject to give a mark to!
Old Thursday 13th May 2010, 21:57   #10
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Hi Greg, welcome to the best bit of BF.

You have a nice, individual and very graphic style of working here, a good range of tones too. I would agree with Tim; Just keep an eye on the proportions of your drawings, perhaps use some light pencil work to establish the overall proportions before beginning the detail and tonal work.

Nice to see you joining in, you'll get plenty of encouragement and good advice on here! Keep it up and good luck with the GCSE's.

Mike
It seems like I'm always quoting someone else's good advice, often Tim or Nick's. But this time I'll choose Mike, though all the advice you've been given is good. I'm not exactly sure what the GCSE is but I can make a pretty good guess.

And as I think Colleen said it sure would have been difficult for someone to choose birds as subjects back when I was getting my art degrees. Stupid me I had absolutely no interest in them then. But I hope things are easier for you now than they probably would have been when I or Colleen was in school.

In any case stick to your guns and paint what you like. As Mike says you'll get plenty of encouragement here.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://[email protected]

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th May 2010, 22:37   #11
timwootton

General Certificate of Secondary Education (I think - eek!).
Old Friday 14th May 2010, 09:02   #12
nickderry

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
General Certificate of Secondary Education (I think - eek!).
Indeed it is - I was very lucky at secondary school - the teacher was an artist aswell as an art teacher and just told me to get on with what I wanted to do, as long as somewhere in there I did what the exam and coursework required I could do what I liked. Result, happy student and A* for GCSE. A level art was rubbish on the other hand (from an examiner's point of view) the teacher often left us without any guidance as to the exam requirements, would always be there to interfere with our artwork, thinking nothing of 'correcting' our own pictures and more often than not all we had to work with was a bit of paper, black paint and fingers. I got a C for the A level - the FBA declined to publish this information on my page on their website though!

Apologies to Greg for hijacking his thread with all this nostalgia, it's just hard for me to believe I did my GCSEs over ten years ago.
Old Friday 14th May 2010, 21:03   #13
G.Wills

Cheers for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

I agree with the proportions, I saw it as soon as I had finished it!
I look forward to seeing all your work too, and I will keep you posted with my results,

Thanks again,

Greg.
Old Friday 14th May 2010, 22:34   #14
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickderry View Post
Indeed it is - I was very lucky at secondary school - the teacher was an artist aswell as an art teacher and just told me to get on with what I wanted to do, as long as somewhere in there I did what the exam and coursework required I could do what I liked. Result, happy student and A* for GCSE. A level art was rubbish on the other hand (from an examiner's point of view) the teacher often left us without any guidance as to the exam requirements, would always be there to interfere with our artwork, thinking nothing of 'correcting' our own pictures and more often than not all we had to work with was a bit of paper, black paint and fingers. I got a C for the A level - the FBA declined to publish this information on my page on their website though!

Apologies to Greg for hijacking his thread with all this nostalgia, it's just hard for me to believe I did my GCSEs over ten years ago.

That's pretty much the exact same experience (and grades!) I had!! Except my GCSE's were 20yrs ago!!

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th May 2010, 09:57   #15
nickderry

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
That's pretty much the exact same experience (and grades!) I had!! Except my GCSE's were 20yrs ago!!
That's what you'd expect for being born ten years before! I did quite well in maths - hated it with a passion though.
Old Saturday 15th May 2010, 15:27   #16
buzzard12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Wills View Post
Cheers for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

I agree with the proportions, I saw it as soon as I had finished it!
I look forward to seeing all your work too, and I will keep you posted with my results,

Thanks again,

Greg.
Hi Greg. Super post as introduction, very nice work indeed. Proportions are tough and I wouldnt worry about it. The drawings show you have a real talent and you have a very real abilitiy to render detail. Top stuff. Welcome aboard and good luck with the exams...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: