• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Better late than never!...a Swallow North West-ing it at 7.20 am. no.61.

Hoping this is the beginning of a mini roll, suspected seeing these two earlier in the year but bad light wasn’t helpful. However wall to wall blue this am more than made up for it, no.62...a pair of Bullfinch flying over the garden.

Last edited:
And today House Martin (37).

All the best

Saw my first House Martins too, in the village yesterday but my ‘scope couldn’t help me spot them from the garden later on so I’ll have to wait for them to wander up here.
On returning from my early morning shopping I was greeted by the song of

61 Bonelli’s Warbler. (Western I should specify in case Nutty is checking this thread ;))

Earliest I’ve had here by one day, a breeder nearby at 1300m altitude that fortunately sings as it passes through our patch each spring.

Been straining my ears to no avail, but a second Red Kite drifted past this morning. Brambling still singing here.

If it’s still singing in a couple of weeks H, you might have to suppress! A potential schedule one breeder. :eek!:

W sun
April 21st.

61. Jay - one seemed to be migrating high NE: another garden lifer, #91.

Steve

I threw away a probable garden lifer yesterday evening, finally having gone outside after several hours’ cooking ready for the family get together I saw a medium to small falcon wheeling around high up, it seemed to be mustard colour below, lit by the low sun. By the time I fetched my bins from inside it was far away heading north so remains a falcon sp. What do I find when I look at local bird news sites today? Red-footed Falcons turning up all over the area :C:eek!:
Can't win em all I guess......
To add to the frustration I found a Tree Pipit today just 200m from home, it didn’t come into sight here though.Still, the good news is that the family enjoyed the leg of lamb, hope Wari’s was equally well-received. Happy Easter to you all!

You’re on my tail birdmeister, not often heard in these parts now...a Cuckoo heading North at 7.29am no.63. :)

I'm afraid I have to look behind me to see your tail Ken! All in good fun, though.

A good morning brought four new species to the list.

61. Green Heron (f)
62. House Wren
63. Gray Catbird (year bird for me)
64. Purple Finch (f)

I figure on a quiet couple of days ahead, until migration picks up again in a few days.

67: Yellow Wagtail - never guaranteed, so nice to hear a flyover today. A close Skylark not quite close enough though, too.

Lagging behind here.
However 39. blackcap
40. willow warbler
Also an oystercatcher yesterday morning whilst processing the contents of the moth trap.
Most exciting perhaps is that both suitable nest boxes have been taken over by tree sparrows - one evicting blue tits in the process.

Rob

Well done on the Tree Sparrows Rob, they need all the help they can get. You’d better get a dozen more nest boxes up and develop a colony!

April 22nd.

62. Yellow Wagtail - one, maybe two, heard-only going over.

Richard - Happy Easter to you too, and everyone else who celebrates it. And maybe you will get another Red-footed Falcon. By the way that was my first ever rarity find, a female at Spurn almost 45 years ago.

Steve

Frustrating day.

Close but no cigar.
On my morning walk had gropper reeling and cuckoo calling in a field visible from my house but not close enough to hear them.
Then got a call from my neighbour telling me a cc Marsh harrier was on the hillside opposite my house (garden lifer) Unfortunately I was at my daughters half a mile away. Dashed back but to late to see it 😢
Onwards and upwards 😴😴

Whilst overshadowed by a few local rarities not far away from the patch such as Black Kite and Citrine Wagtail, the patch has also been quite good recently with amongst others a couple of Spotted Redshank, Grasshopper Warbler, Pied Flycatcher, Redstart, Whinchat, Garganey, etc all within a mile of home so I really spend little time looking from the house or garden.

However, whilst sat out last night shortly before dusk in the garden, a group of twenty Sand Martin (38) buzzed through towards somewhere to roost and this morning from the landing window on the adjacent drainage channel, a garden tick in the form of a Common Sandpiper (39) was being pushed along by a dog walker.

The stretch that is visible from the house is pretty limited so I have seen little on it from the house whereas the sightings from outside the garden include a far nicer selection.

All the best

A flyover Common Tern this afternoon was perhaps a trifle earlier than the norm, however....gratefully received. no.64.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back