• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Murmuration of Starlings (1 Viewer)

Wow thanks for sharing...that was incredible! Was very strange how they flow together like one organism! How they don't crash into each other is something amazing....even that big bird of prey didn't want anything to do with that! lol

I have always thought European Starlings were beautiful birds despite some people's negativity about them as an invasive species ...I am happy we are also able to see them over here in the states.

Last edited:
A small flock by the standards of the past - apparently roosts used to hold up to 5 million before intensive agriculture destroyed their food source. Imagine this video, x 20.

A small flock by the standards of the past - apparently roosts used to hold up to 5 million before intensive agriculture destroyed their food source. Imagine this video, x 20.

Would have loved to have seen that Nutcracker!

I've noticed when watching a flock of birds like this..it can put you in a "zen state" of mind. I believe watching Starling murmuration could possibly be used as a therapy for curing depression and anxiety. Lol

Just as long as you didn't get too close . . . apparently those 5 million strong flocks could leave a guano deposit behind, up to 30 cm deep :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :-O

Just as long as you didn't get too close . . . apparently those 5 million strong flocks could leave a guano deposit behind, up to 30 cm deep :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :-O

That is true ! :-O

Also I didn't think about people with "bird phobia" ...might not be such a good therapy for them! LOL!!

Last edited:
I remember, back around 1961, trying to count the nightly roost that then occupied the Leicester Square area of London, and coming up with two million. A wonderful sight (and sound). Sadly long gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back