• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red-throated pipit ? Poland, spring. (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

I once recognized this bird as a meadow pipit, but now I think it's a red-throated pipit - is it right?

Attachments

• IMG_8881.JPG
    IMG_8881.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 170
Hi Michal, the fine bill with no yellow at the base of the lower mandible, in combination with the dark "blotch" formed on the breast by the black streaking rules out RTP. Although you can't see the mantle from this angle, I'd be shocked if there were the clean white "tramlines" present (another RTP feature).

Looks like a fairly bog-standard Meadow pipit to me.

Hope this helps!

Michał Jaro;3942628 said:
But .... isn't it orange -pink tones ?
They're photo artifacts, not true colour.
Further to what Daniel pointed out above, the intensity of the stripes on the flanks is normal for Meadow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back