• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Pipit ? Poland (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi
It seems like a regular tree pipit, but ... supercilium in front of eye is clearly rusty buff. Is it an acceptable feature for tree pipit? (whether it could be olive-backed pipit )

Attachments

• IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 135
Michał Jaro;3942181 said:
Hi
It seems like a regular tree pipit, but ... supercilium in front of eye is clearly rusty buff. Is it an acceptable feature for tree pipit? (whether it could be olive-backed pipit )

When was the image taken Michal?

Cheers

Yes, I know, but I was wondering about supercilium (rusty-buff), which is referred to as the diagnostic feature of olive backed ... Does this feature also have tree pipit? I did not find this feature in the pictures in the net.

Michal, your bird does not show the diagnostic pale and dark markings on the ear coverts, and as such OBP can safely be excluded.
Including the date is always helpful in the first posting, as when vagrants are suspected, these are more likely to be found during times of peak migration (not always, but increased incidence). OBP would be very unusual in Europe before mid-september, with most records occurring later in the autumn (peak in October, but some individuals even recorded in winter).
Please find attached an image of an OBP from October 2016 (some birding friends and I were lucky enough to find this bird following a massive fall on the east coast), its not the best image, but hopefully you can see all the diagnostic features - keep at it, I'm sure these birds must occur more regularly in Poland!

Attachments

• OBP2016_1.jpg
    OBP2016_1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Daniel and others! Yes, I think there is a chance, so I need to know what is the key (in the crowd of tree pipits;) ). So the conclusion is - greenish top, black and white spots on head and finally - rusty buff supercilium :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back