• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure, but wouldn't the threading be a form of light baffling, as a smooth surface might reflect light?

Several of my bins have this threading.

BTW Mike - very nicely done, and very helpful!

My experience is that, typically, the threading on the outside of the objective is either for a filter or the method for the retaining ring to screw into the binocular housing to keep the objective lens secure. I am not sure "external" baffling would help as scattered light should only be an issue after it passes through the objective lens.

I find it odd that people refer to brightness in what I assume is decent light. Gijs's post is interesting, and informative. In low light, surely a few per cent increase is nothing, most people cannot see such small differences. Has anyone done careful side by side comparisons in low light, using for example two bins side by side and using one eye for each, then swapping them round?

I'm not knocking the HT, I am sure it competes head to head with the competition, and may well be the best for many people.

Hi Leif

Torview and myself were comparing the HTs with two different FLs and were referring to the relatively brighter view through the HT. Revisiting Gijs' post, whether the effect was due to increased overall transmission, or a cunning increase in the green/yellow to which we are more sensitive or for some other combination of reasons, what we evidently percieived was a 'brighter view'.

You asked about low-light comparisons and this is something I did at an early stage, looking across our local valley at houses illuminated only by sodium lighting. Through FL 8x42s the doors of these houses were vague 'door shapes' but through the HTs I could see not only the doors but the letterboxes as well. Zeiss representatives have told me to expect the HT advantage to be most evident at dusk and dawn which is why I was so astonished at the difference compared with the FL in the middle of a medium-bright day.

Lee

Here is an interesting follow-up to my original post on the Zess HT 8x42. I did try the Zeiss again during the second day of the event. My initial impressions of apparent sharpness, color representation and contrast held up in comparison to the day before.

The one area that shocked me a little was the size of the apparent sweet spot. What I had posted in my earlier post was that the sweet spot looked rather large and that I detected very little astigmatism in the image. Well, the second time I tried it I did notice the astigmatism and I thought the sweet spot actually looked smaller than the day before. This was the exact same unit that I looked at the day before.

So what changed? The binocular or my perception of its performance? Obviously the latter. Why did it change is the question. The only explanation that I could come up with is the environmental conditions. Saturday was bright and sunny while Sunday was overcast. I am guessing my pupil dilation varied between the two days. Would this be a plausible explanation for my differing experiences?

Now, just to provide some clarification, I did not find any issue with the astigmatism present in the image. The overall performance of the binocular was more than satisfactory. I did not personally find the astigmatism distracting for the conditions that I was using the binocular in. The wide, bright, flat field of view was very impressive.

Frank,

I think you may have solved the mystery behind the FL/HT Edge Sharpness Uncertainty Principle and why users' opinions vary on how sharp the edges are on the FLs and HTs.

One member recently compared some 10x42s including the 10x42 HT and 10x42 SV EL, and he could see no difference btwn them in terms of edge performance. It must have been a sunny day.

I've experienced this variation myself. Normally, I see a large sweet spot in the Nikon 8x30 EII with a gradual fall off at the edges, which suits me fine, particularly considering the wide 8.8* FOV. The edges are still quite useable since there is no "Ring of Fire".

However, early last month when I took the EII for a walkabout on a very bleak, Three Dog Night afternoon, the field curvature and pincushion at the edges really got ugly. Once spring has sprung and the sun comes out from behind the perpetual cloud cover, I will be using the EIIs again and singing "Joy to the World."

Chuck

Last edited:
......Chinese charaters, 'signs' you think;), .......

Sorry if I used a designation that does not quite fit. The fact that my native language is German, not English may have contributed to this. In German, I would have used the term Schriftzeichen. And sure enough LEO translator translates this to character. But I don't always check. So I used the translation for the second part, Zeichen. And sign is appropriate for that. Well, languages can be a challenge.

Sorry if I used a designation that does not quite fit. The fact that my native language is German, not English may have contributed to this. In German, I would have used the term Schriftzeichen. And sure enough LEO translator translates this to character. But I don't always check. So I used the translation for the second part, Zeichen. And sign is appropriate for that. Well, languages can be a challenge.

Learning German was a piece o' cake compared to Latin, I just needed to be patient to finally get to the verb in some of those long, complex German sentences, however, both German and Latin used the same Roman alphabet I was familiar with in English. In fact, a lot of words in English are derived from Latin and German. Even if you didn't know German, some words or phrases are easy to figure out, for example, "das Gras ist grün" (the grass is green) or "und Gott machte das Firmament' (and God made the firmament).

But to learn to read and write the Chinese alphabet would add another layer of complexity before you even got to the meaning of words, sentence structure, cases, gender, etc.

So I if China ever becomes a global superpower, as depicted in novels such as China Mountain Zhang, where a China transformed by wealth and technology becomes the place where young people in the West aspire to go for education and opportunity, I hope they adapt English as their international language rather than Mandarin, because I'm not prepared to learn another alphabet. I wouldn't even know my ABCs if not for the Jacksons. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7796-au8U

bRoCk

good to see this post!
thx!
B :)

Last week, six birders from the Bruce Birding Club compared samples of three binoculars: the 8x42 Swarovski SLC HD, the 8.5x42 Swarovski SV, and the 8x42 Zeiss HT. The following summary should acknowledge there was a variation in assessments among us -- but the differences were mostly between perfect and excellent. A birder would be happy with any of these three binoculars, which differ in their strengths. The birders' own current binoculars range from Leica, Swarovski EL WBs and SVs, to Bausch and Lomb Elites (2nd generation).

The resolution comparison suggested that the HT was a little sharper than the SLC and SV. The Zeiss HT was brighter. The SV and HT had higher contrast. The colour rendition of the SV was somewhat warmer and more vibrant; the HT slightly cooler; and the SLC neutral. In overall image quality, the SLC was excellent, but seemed flat in comparison; the SV and HT provided stunning, clean, three-dimensional views. Some birders preferred the additional magnification of the SV.

The HT was marginally better in deep shadow than the SV and SLC. The SVs and HTs were slightly better in backlighting than the SLC. None of us saw colour fringing. All the binoculars snapped into focus. The image at the edges of the SV seemed particularly clear, although none of us commented about lack of edge clarity in the SLC or HT. Also no one commented about image distortion in the SV while panning. The FOV was similar, the eyepieces were seen as easy to use, and they all had good eye relief. The HT has filter threads.

The binoculars could be focused from 12m (40') to infinity without lifting your finger from the focus wheel. They all focused to six feet or closer; the SV also focuses more closely. The focus wheel on this sample of the SLC was stiffer when turned clockwise -- nothing that a three week, no-cost visit to SONA, or another sample, wouldn't make right. The focus wheel tension and smoothness on the HT and SV were perfect. The HTs focus wheel is significantly larger, making it easier to use with gloves or mittens. The SV provides more focusing space past infinity, while its dioptre wheel has a greater range. Some birders weren't fussy about the relatively small, stiff dioptre wheel on the HT; some found it elegantly simple.

The overall size of the SLC is more compact. The hand position on the SLC is perfect, while being slightly weight-forward. The SV balanced in a similar way, allowing a very comfortable grip, with the index finger on the focus wheel, the middle finger on the housing in front of the focus wheel, and the last two fingers wrapped around the barrel. The HT is perfectly balanced, seeming lighter than its published weight, providing a similar grip to the SV. One birder with smaller hands thought the straighter, widening outer shape of the HTs was too wide to be comfortable. One birder liked the slight squaring off of the outer top and bottom corners of the HT for a comfortable grip. The thumb indents on the SLC and SV were liked by some, not by others.

The SLC shares with the EL WBs a relatively closed exterior that discourages the accumulation of grit. (My wife's 10x42 EL WB has been cleaned once in 10 years.) The SVs have a very tight tolerance between the edges of the focus wheel and the shallow cutouts on the adjacent sides of the barrels, providing some opportunity for grit to accumulate, but nothing that couldn't be easily rinsed out. The HT's focus wheel is somewhat open on the ocular side. The strap lugs on the SV and HT are located just below 90 degrees on either side, while those on the SLC are more toward the bottom of the binocular; attached to a strap the SLCs tilt back in a more pronounced way.

These three binoculars are spectacular. Which trade-offs are you prepared for?

Thanks to Eagle Optics in Guelph, and Gentec International in Toronto for making the Swarovski SLC HD and Zeiss HT available for comparison.

Mike

Hi Leif

Torview and myself were comparing the HTs with two different FLs and were referring to the relatively brighter view through the HT. Revisiting Gijs' post, whether the effect was due to increased overall transmission, or a cunning increase in the green/yellow to which we are more sensitive or for some other combination of reasons, what we evidently percieived was a 'brighter view'.

You asked about low-light comparisons and this is something I did at an early stage, looking across our local valley at houses illuminated only by sodium lighting. Through FL 8x42s the doors of these houses were vague 'door shapes' but through the HTs I could see not only the doors but the letterboxes as well. Zeiss representatives have told me to expect the HT advantage to be most evident at dusk and dawn which is why I was so astonished at the difference compared with the FL in the middle of a medium-bright day.

Lee

Hello Lee. I can't argue with what you see. |=)|

Reading all of the learned discussion on this thread concerning the "must have" HT's has made me very nervous about being seen outside with my rubbish Japanese binoculars.

After many sleepless nights I have now found a way to overcome my insecurity - see attachment.

I can now walk out with my head held high knowing that I will now be seen as a true birder!

Stan

Attachments

• P1000043_edited-1.jpg
    P1000043_edited-1.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 255
Reading all of the learned discussion on this thread concerning the "must have" HT's has made me very nervous about being seen outside with my rubbish Japanese binoculars.

After many sleepless nights I have now found a way to overcome my insecurity - see attachment.

I can now walk out with my head held high knowing that I will now be seen as a true birder!

Stan

Hey Stan,

I recently tried to borrow a pair of 8x42s from Nikon Canada for comparison with the 8x42 Swarovski SLC HD, the 8.5x42 Swarovski SV, and the 8x42 Zeiss HT, prompted by good reviews of the EDG -- no way! They have a good product, terrific advertising, but can't get their high-end binoculars into the hands of birders for field comparison here.

Seriously, if you ship me your 8x42 EDG binoculars, I'll get the group together again to compare them, and pay the insured return shipping.

Kimmo Absetz is writing a full review of the EDG.

Mike

Last edited:

Stan

You should have put a little bird on them instead.... that and painted them green. ;)

Hey Stan,

I recently tried to borrow a pair of 8x42s from Nikon Canada for comparison with the 8x42 Swarovski SLC HD, the 8.5x42 Swarovski SV, and the 8x42 Zeiss HT, prompted by good reviews of the EDG -- no way! They have a good product, terrific advertising, but can't get their high-end binoculars into the hands of birders for field comparison here.

Kimmo Absetz is writing a review of the EDG.

Mike

Allbinos reviewed them July 2012.

http://www.allbinos.com/224-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x42_EDG.html

Bob

Stan

It is odd that Nikon can't get any traction at the high end. Eagle Optics is closing out the 8x42 EDG for $594 less than the 8.5 SV and it looks like they still can't sell them. If that price spread had existed when I bought the 8.5 SV, well I'd be sporting Nikons right now. A really fine bino.

I guess Nikon has service issues in Europe so that may play a role.

Mark

Stan

I think the EDG is a terrific bin and very nice looking to boot, even without a blue badge ;). Problem is, as Mike alluded, Nikon does not ship the EDG into Canada.

I guess that is part of the reason the EDG never seems to be included in these great, alpha ''shoot-outs'', even though I'm sure it's worthy.

I think the EDG is a terrific bin and very nice looking to boot, even without a blue badge ;). Problem is, as Mike alluded, Nikon does not ship the EDG into Canada.

I guess that is part of the reason the EDG never seems to be included in these great, alpha ''shoot-outs'', even though I'm sure it's worthy.

James,

Sorry, should have been more explicit.

According to the Sales Manager for Nikon Canada, they have inventory of the 8x42 EDG (the EDG 2) in Toronto, where their head office is located.

The Sales Manager put me on to their field representative for Southwestern Ontario, who emailed that he could show me a 10x42 EDG in a store for viewing an optical chart. He literally commented that he didn't have access to an 8x42 EDG.

Mike

Mike,

I'm surprised you could access any EDG's at all, as Michael Malone [Pelee Wings] told me once that Nikon didn't see the need to import the EDG into Canada.

They have never had one in all the years I have gone looking.

James,

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle -- the EDG is certainly not on Nikon's Canadian website.

Email from Gilles Stubbins, Sales and Product Marketing Manager, Nikon Canada, March 11, 2013, to Neil Trotter, Sales Representative: "... This gentleman would like to see our EDG binoculars. Would it be possible to set up a meet at our retailer Pelee Wings. ..." In an earlier telephone call, Mr. Stubbins said Nikon had the 8x42 EDG in inventory in Toronto.

In related emails, I outlined the purpose of borrowing a pair of 8x42 EDG binoculars in detail.

BTW, you can purchase EDG binoculars now from Eagle Optics in Wisconsin, as there's no duty on sports optics imported into Canada, and they're being offered at a great price (see Mark's post above). However, Nikon is apparently severing their relationship with Eagle Optics; so there would be no further availability beyond current stock from that very good source.

Mike Malone is careful about what he stocks at Pelee Wings, presumably based on what he knows about this market, after years of experience running what may be the largest bricks-and-mortar sports optics store in Canada; for example, no 7x binoculars; no Canon IS.

I'd still like to compare a sample of the 8x42 EDG: a rose is a rose is a rose.

Mike

Last edited:

Stan

Stanbo,

Great minds think alike! Re-badged my 8x30 EII a while back. Zeiss is nice, but a high quality 8.8* FOV 8x30 Japanese porro that cost $1,800 less than the HT is even nicer.

Of course, the EDG II does look more like the HT since it''s a roof and employs a similar "open hinge bridge". Just make sure to allow enough space between your fingers for the Zeiss logo to show through, otherwise, you won't have that 'Made in Germany (with parts from other countries) cachet" in the field. ;)

Brock

Attachments

• Zeiss wipes 178 [].JPG
    Zeiss wipes 178 [].JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 122
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back