• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars on a Tripod Experiences? (1 Viewer)

Common Raven

I am interested in opinions/experiences on putting binoculars (in this case, a Vortex Viper HD 10x) on a tripod. I'd like to do this for 2 reasons: 1. to get steadier views and 2. (most importantly) to have other (newbie) birders look through them, much as a spotting scope. What are your experiences with this setup? Is it decent? Or is it useless/terrible?

(I know it won't be as good as a scope, but due to current finances, I am unable to afford my choice (the Vortex Razor 50).

I am interested in opinions/experiences on putting binoculars (in this case, a Vortex Viper HD 10x) on a tripod. I'd like to do this for 2 reasons: 1. to get steadier views and 2. (most importantly) to have other (newbie) birders look through them, much as a spotting scope. What are your experiences with this setup? Is it decent? Or is it useless/terrible?

(I know it won't be as good as a scope, but due to current finances, I am unable to afford my choice (the Vortex Razor 50).

Hi, I often use a tripod, and for 10x it will make a difference in keeping steady. They help provide a good view, the only downside is carrying one about if your on the move at all.
Far from useless. Good luck.

I would agree w/the dude from London -- far from useless, and especially so for the younger or more inexperienced crowd. Before I got a 10x42 Canon IS, I would often strap our Swarovski 10x50 to a tripod. I say go for it, and you are going to need a tripod for your eventual scope purchase anyway.

Speaking of scope - the Vortex you mentioned is supposed to be a very good scope. However, do at least investigate the Nikon 50mm Fieldscope too. With the 27x DS eyepiece, that thing is nails.........

Hello,

Give some careful thought to the tripod head and the adaptor. Common binoculars on a tripod work better for targets close to the horizon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I did look into what level of advantage a tripod offers in terms of level of detail you can actually see. Using 7x through to 12x and a test chart in good light I simply determined the difference in the smallest pattern discernable. I got a range of 35 to 50% improvement with a tripod. I was expecting to see a greater advantage with higher magnifications as the oscillilations appeared bigger, but this turned out not to me so. My worst result was with an 8x and the 12x was almost as good as the 7x.

I think the increased weight of the higher powers may have damped down the finer tremors, but the biggest difference seemed to be the balance of the binocular in the hand. A tighter the grip resulted in more shake, so the heavy, well balance 12x50 did better than you might expect.

I should say I hate carrying a tripod, they can really spoil a day out if I need to cover any distance. A monopod on the other hand is only a little inconvenient. If you combine it with the use of a doubler you are now getting a sufficient performance advantage to make it worth while IMO, but course it can't match a sturdy tripod and a big scope.

David

I don't see an issue apart from panning. Using a scope is quite flexible when moving quickly. Having to keep your head square or 'on plane' at the same time will be far more difficult.

Binoculars tripod mounted are a very nice way to view, and offer another choice
vs. a spotter.

I like 15-16 X binoculars tripod mounted. These are called "Big Eyes" binoculars, often
used in the open plains to view wild life.

They offer more viewing comfort than a spotting scope, "2 eyes are better than one".

I would think mounting anything 12X and over is a great idea.

The 2 I have pictured are a Docter 15x60 Nobilem, and a Nikon 16x56
Monarch 5, both do very well.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1107.JPG
    DSCN1107.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 89
The thread linked here should be useful. I was able to find it easily because it was fairly recent and I wrote into it, but there should be several or many threads on this subject in this forum (and of course many further posts in other threads).

Hi,

while you will get nice and steady views with bins on a tripod, using them like a scope to show birds to other birders will be tricky for two reasons:

- bins are like straight scopes, they only work well if they are held at your normal eye level. Different people have different eye levels and thus you would have to change tripod height all the time or taller people have to bend down in a very uncomfortable way. An angled scope is so much easier to use for a group.

- an added complication with bins is the fact that the IPD and/or diopter need to be adjusted for each person, taking time and possibly moving the bins and thus loosing the bird.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back