• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyeglasses, AR coatings, antireflective. (1 Viewer)

Thanks Lee, for those thoughts. The idea that only a 4.2 mm diameter circle is needed to roam the FOV is intriguing because it suggests that vari-focals might not hinder off-axis viewing through bins, even if they do reduce the quality of off-axis viewing without bins.
--AP

Might be worthwhile asking your optician what widths of optical corridor for the far distance vision sector of vari-focals are available.

Lee

Well, having had my annual eye exam (an ordeal for my eye doctor, I'm sure, but he handles my idiosyncrasies with patience and sometimes interest), I've looked into progressives a bit more. My eye doctor is sure that I would hate progressives because all designs have large areas outside the central vertical axis that yield a distorted and potentially unsharp view. Given how much I like to move my eyes rather than my head, he thinks I would be bothered, just as I am by binoculars that do not work well for off-axis viewing due to astigmatism, lots of field curvature, or other optical flaws/limitations. I think that the looking-around-the-view versus the center-the-target-in-the-sights styles of binocular use/viewing are quite important for explaining why some users (like me) appreciate designs like the Swarovski EL SV so much, whereas other users see no need for such extreme off-axis correction.

This thinking leads me to wonder whether those who get along well with progressive glasses fall into the camp that keep their vision directed down the center axis of their bins and perhaps do not care so much for flat-field binoculars, and vice versa.

--AP

I center my vision and move my head to read instead of my eyes, now. I never did until switching to progressives. Took a few days to adapt, but if have trouble adapting to things like that, then progressives may not be a good fit.

Theres all sorts of different designs in the magnified area so if you are tempted, do your research, but even then how well you adapt will be a personal thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back