• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens cover 10x32 SV (1 Viewer)

swannyj

I love the binocs but hate the lens covers as they do not stay on. Any suggestions on replacement covers? I'll probably need to purchase online.

As a workaround you can use a small cord or a short length of flat plastic lace to secure around the hinge and through each attachment loop. Although they can still fall off, I don't lose them when they do!

Attachments

• binoculars_Swaro10x32_20121114_005.jpg
    binoculars_Swaro10x32_20121114_005.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 115
As a workaround you can use a small cord or a short length of flat plastic lace to secure around the hinge and through each attachment loop. Although they can still fall off, I don't lose them when they do!

Good idea there. Simple.

Thanks for posting.

Jerry

Good idea and well shown. And nice user name- Osage makes good bow wood.

I did the same similar thing with mine with 2 very small light weight black zip ties each anchored to the center hinge.

BTW- I see you have a different occular cover than the OEM supplied one ( which I do not care for either). What did you find to use for yours? I have tried a couple of different ones that I have, but they are not ideal.

Thanks

BTW- I see you have a different occular cover than the OEM supplied one ( which I do not care for either). What did you find to use for yours? I have tried a couple of different ones that I have, but they are not ideal.

Thanks

This is a bit involved but once done it works fine, much better than what was supplied - I bought the Vortex Compact binocular rainguards:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-compact-binocular-rainguard

They didn't quite fit, I could force them on but they were waaaay too tight. So I found two plastic bottle caps about 38mm at the top, and about 41mm at the wide end. Any about the same size as the eyecups but not bigger will work. There are a lot about this size on plastic bottles for drinks, cooking oil, you name it. Using the suggestion of another poster I fit these into the Vortex Compact rainguards which stretched them a bit, and then with the bottle caps in place boiled the whole thing in water for several minutes (I have tried before to stretch rainguards dry with some success but that takes a lot longer). Now they fit great on the Swaros!

Attachments

• binoculars_Swaro10x32_20121116_.JPG
    binoculars_Swaro10x32_20121116_.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
OA- thanks for the response and info.

That right there is a good idea; and now I see why the covers in your first pic have that kind of bulged out look to them.

I think your idea will either work with a vortex one that I already have and was less than ideal because it is too tight, or I will order the one you linked. I do much prefer the texture of the vortex ocular covers when compared to the supplied Swarovski ones.

Thanks again

Here is a good way to go. I like the winged eyecup, and the winged cover that
is included goes very well over both.
The winged eyecup helps with side lighting, and these are reasonably
priced. Only useful without glasses.
This one is on the 8.5x42, and I am thinking these fit the 32.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0805.JPG
    DSCN0805.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 89
I love the binocs but hate the lens covers as they do not stay on. Any suggestions on replacement covers? I'll probably need to purchase online.

This is the rainguard i use on my SLC-HD, its from a Swaro SL.
Its works really well and is a super fit, the eyecups fit the recesses perfectly.
Its not pretty!, but it does its job beautifully. B :)

Attachments

• Image0352.jpg
    Image0352.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Image1449.jpg
    Image1449.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Image1451.jpg
    Image1451.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I'm still trying to come up with a solution. I work at an outdoor school for 5th graders and can't carry them around my neck all day as we do various activities. Yet, I would like to retrieve them quickly, which means putting them in my pack out of the case. Hence the problem of lens cover coming off and allowing dirt in. I'm also looking for a light weight pouch to attach to belt loop. Maybe purcase a vortex lens cover & try bottle cap trick (like suggested for ocular cover) ?

This is a bit involved but once done it works fine, much better than what was supplied - I bought the Vortex Compact binocular rainguards:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-compact-binocular-rainguard

They didn't quite fit, I could force them on but they were waaaay too tight. So I found two plastic bottle caps about 38mm at the top, and about 41mm at the wide end. Any about the same size as the eyecups but not bigger will work. There are a lot about this size on plastic bottles for drinks, cooking oil, you name it. Using the suggestion of another poster I fit these into the Vortex Compact rainguards which stretched them a bit, and then with the bottle caps in place boiled the whole thing in water for several minutes (I have tried before to stretch rainguards dry with some success but that takes a lot longer). Now they fit great on the Swaros!
Interesting idea. The hot water must relax the molecules in the rubber and then when you take take them out of the water they stay at that bigger size. Good idea for stretching objective covers.

I'm also looking for a light weight pouch to attach to belt loop.

I use a Zeiss Conquest 8x30 case (the previous 8x30, not the new 8x32 HD) and it's a perfect fit for the 8x32 SV. The Zeiss logo comes off easily :)

Note: the bin's strap won't go into the case as it is a tight fit.

George

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions on the packs! I've ordered the zeiss belt loop bag but if that doesn't work will go with the sporty waist bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back