• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (3 Viewers)

It does look good. Zoom lock , 2 IS modes , focus limiter a lot like the 2.8 sport. I might be tempted when I see the full specs and price. If the build quality is like the 120-300 it will be like a tank and the USB Dock to tweak it.

In comparison with the Tamron 150-600 two things stand out:
Weight: 2860 g (vs Tamron's 1951 g)
Expected price: around $2,000 (vs Tamron's $1,069)

The Sigma better be better.

Wim

Last edited:
In comparison with the Tamron 150-600 two things stand out:
Weight: 2860 g (vs Tamron's 1951 g)
Expected price: around $2,000 (vs Tamron's $1,069)

The Sigma better be better.

Wim

and a larger front element and more elements including 2 Fluorite ones..

It looks liked Sigma picked theTamron and improved it... time will tell.

It's only good news for us.

I certainly think that the Sigma will be a better lens than the Tammy looking at the specs and probable price but would be too heavy for me that's for sure. If you are going to need a tripod then I think I would sooner go for a 300/2.8 IS or even the 500/4.

hopefully the optics are better than the tammy at 600mm,
it better be for $2000…
but seems too heavy for walk-around photo,
think sigma should have updated their 500/4,5 instead with OS, better glass, coatings and new tripod-foot.

I'm not very good with numbers really but if the sigma 150-600 cost twice the price of the tammy that would put at £2000 ish and the sport can be bought over here for £2499 ish on eBay but I guess until it is announced we won't know.

You don't have to resort to eBay for that price. Amazon have it for under £2500 and DigitalRev have it for £2200 (grey import).

Then to get to 600mm you'll need to add a TC at another £200 or more depending on brand and supplier.

So for someone interested more in focal length than max aperture, even at £2,000 the new zoom might still have its appeal for many, especially if IQ at 600mm beats the 120-300+2X.

I agree with there tim on both accounts. 600 zoom is very appealing to me with either lens just waiting to see what is announced at photokina.

I have both TCs at the moment which I got cheap kenko pro 300 DGX at £70 each, if amazon are selling the sport for that price it may be dropping slighty which is good. I am aware though my TCs may not get the best out of the lens and sigmas own should be better.

If the 150-600 is better at 600 that will be a decent lens IMO.

Sigma rumours announced 2 150-600 lenses a sports version that will use the dock and a contemporary lens both will AF at F8 with the new TCs.

I see the weight of the non sports has not been released yet but with a front end of 95mm it should be a fair bit lighter than the sports version. I suspect the non sports will be in direct compo with the Tammy 150-600 with maybe a slightly higher price point.
The sports version will need to be good at the long end at 2.9 kg - its a lot heavier than the Canon 300/2.8 IS and almost the same as the Canon 500/4 MkII.

Sigma rumours announced 2 150-600 lenses a sports version that will use the dock and a contemporary lens both will AF at F8 with the new TCs.
That seems a little unclear to me Paul unless I have missed something(very likely lol)- yes it will AF up to f8 (with the right Camera of course) but if the new tc is a 1.4x then that will take it over f8 at the long end!!! is it just going to AF up to 400mm (where assumable the f5.6 moves to f6.3) OR are they saying that the f6.3 + the 1.4x tc will only report f8 although it is more than that ?

Last edited:
It is all very interesting, this sudden rush of zooms to 600mm. I hope one of them falls into my hands at some point 8-P

Edit: also reading that their OS works when panning unlike what I have read about the Tamron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back