• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Retirement binoculars, scope (1 Viewer)

Just retired and looking to upgrade my binoculars and scope. I have used the same equipment for years and would like to possibly make a choice that would be good for future years. I have been using eagle optics 8 x 42 and a basic Bausch and Lomb scope. Few facts...
-I am a petite female with small hands (use small shaft kayak paddles)
-Have neck problems that require me to go to lightweight equipment, more compact, the lighter, the better (using old binoculars during warbler migration was a killer this year)
-Must be able to survive my tendency to drop..get wet..carry in kayak..etc
-Budget???What is out there now? I am not against paying if need be to get good equipment that I can use for years but if there is a binocular for 600 that comes pretty darn close to performance to a 1000 dollar pair...well..I think you understand. My main objective...good quality that will last..and physically I can use. Would like to keep under 1000( for binoculars), scope..?? I know by going more compact, less weight, I will have to compromise on other features but have to be able to use. If pair more than 1000 that is recommended by numerous persons, I will take a look.
Please provide suggestions that you have personally used or are using. Thanks so much!

Do you want to stay with x42 or would a x32 work? I've been using a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and a Kowa Genesis 8x33 and they are both super great optics in a small compact size. The Zeiss is about $800 and Kowa about $1100. The main difference I see is the Zeiss focuses much faster (fewer turns of knob) while the Kowa has fantastic flare control. Both have a 4.9ft close focus, which is important to me. I use a harness (Vortex for $20) and even with neck problems (cannot have much weight at all on back of neck), these are no problem.

I was watching some youtube videos from Zeiss about the durability of the Conquest HD. They essentially drop it, drive over it, drag it behind a truck in the outback, throw it in a pond, and then shoot it (twice) with a shotgun.

Marc

I’d recommend Maven 30 mm:
https://shop.mavenbuilt.com/products/b-3-gray-orange?variant=946052223
They are super high quality, with great optics. I’ve owned the Conquest 32 mm and while they are nice they are also quite heavy for a 32 mm. At that point you might as well go to a lightweight 42 mm model. Nikon also has come out with the Monarch HG in 30 mm but I’ve been hearing they have glare issues. I had a pair of Monarch 7 8x30s and the glare made them unusable for me. Others here really like them and haven’t had the same problem so you might want to check them out or the HGs. Some claim the Maven is essentially the same bino as the Monarch 7 but I’ve not experienced glare problems with the Maven. The Maven is assembled in the USA of Japanese components. The Monarch 7 is made in China. The Monarch HG is made in Japan. I’ve not tried the Kowa’s but hear they are nice. They top the 1k mark and don’t have nearly as good a warranty as the Mavens or Nikons. Meopta also makes two 32 mm models to consider: The Meostar at about $900 and the Meopro at about half that price. I’ve owned the Meopro and they didn’t work for me but others here love them and the Meopro as well. Finally if you are willing to go a slight bit above 1k I’d highly recvomend the Swarovski Compainion CL 30 mm series. Hard to beat those and they would fit your needs quite well. My two cents. Others here will have differing views.

I had the Zeiss Conquest binoculars before being offered some Swarovski 8x42 SLC at a knockdown price. I really enjoyed the Conquest and thought they were very good value for money, nice bright wide view, excellent eye relief as I wear glasses and virtually on a par with the Swaros.
On the scope front I have used Pentax PF-65ED ii straight scope for the last few years with the fixed XW 14mm eyepiece , because of neck problems using an angled scope. Great views, light weight and through my eyes I can't see a lot of difference between my friends far more expensive Alpha scopes. Have a look here at on of the reviews.
https://www.optics4birding.com/pentax-pf-65edii-scope-review.aspx

Food for thought but it would be good to try before you buy if you can.

Les

Last edited:
PS I have a Celstron Hummingbird scope that I love. Surprising nice for the price and extremely compact and lightweight. I hate lugging a big heavy scope around and got rid of my full size one because I hardly used it. I take the Hummingbird with me on backcountry hikes and it’s a real nice compliment to my lightweight binos.

I have a Conquest HD 8x32 and for some habitats even prefer it to Zeiss's flagship SF due to the Conquest's faster focus. But at 22 ozs it is on the heavy side for a 32mm. Mind you, if you have seen that video where a Conquest is driven over by an SUV and shot with a shotgun you will understand that it will be able to withstand a few drops and knocks.

If you want lightweight and great value for money performance then seek out Opticron's Traveller ED 8x32 which weighs only 15.9 ozs and is super compact. There is one sitting on my workstation all the time so I can grab a look at passing birds.

Conquest is better optically and is very robust, but Traveller is lighter on the neck and is very very nearly as fast at focusing.

Good luck.

Lee

For a compact spotting scope (depending on your budget) and guessing it's predominantly for bird and wildlife watching, then the Kowa TSN 550 Prominar series is one to consider. Comes with a zoom eyepiece....the straight version is coded 554 and the angled body 553. In the UK it retails around the £1,570 price. This model is at the higher price range for a travel scope.

Smaller and lighter (and more in the mid price range) is the Nikon ED 50, with this spotting scope you can choose the type of eyepiece - either a fixed magnification wide angle or a zoom. This unit has been around for quite a while so not sure if its still marketed in the USA.

Last edited:
Conquest is better optically and is very robust, but Traveller is lighter on the neck and is very very nearly as fast at focusing.

Good luck.

Lee

As one who has neck problems, as it sounds like the OP does, I find that even a light weight on the neck over time does me in. I can wear the Leica 8x20 (9oz) if it is over a jacket collar, but I wouldn't wear even that for an extended period straight on my neck. I have to use a harness or attach them to my camera sling or backpack straps. Going that route, weight becomes much less of an issue for me.

The swarovski contour strap is ok. I've worn the 8.5x42 on that for an hour or so, but I still use it like a sling not square over both shoulders.

If you have neck problems, I think the best solution is to have zero ounces on it. Use a harness or backpack straps. The Vortex $20 harness is totally worth the money. It's identical to the zeiss $20 harness, except the Vortex has better eyelet attachments. The Zeiss $70 harness has pinch buckles instead of a hook, which some people who changes loads often prefer. Personally, I'm not changing up gear that often.

First..thanks so much for all the input. It seems the first thing I need to do is switch immediately to a harness. I am going to order and try with my eagle optics and hopefully that will allow me to continue with 'regular' sized binoculars. With that thought, what would you recommend in 8x42( still lightweight would be great). I don't know if anyone is familiar with eagle optics, like I said mine are dated, but I have enjoyed them, been good. Would like something that performs better in low light..maybe I should be looking at different ?x?...still want lighter..eagle about 23 oz.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back