• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sending Kowa for repair (1 Viewer)

No idea how to go about it personally but getting in touch with Paul Hackett might help seeing as how he works for them.

Let us know how it turns out, I have the same (or similar) problem on my 824. Something (prism?) is loose but falls in the correct place if I have it with the focuser up, not too big a problem on a straight scope though. Have to give it a hit sometimes to get it correct, a bit nerve wrecking.

A complication is that the repair guy had to glue it shut the last time it was in, since the back was cracked and no spares are available :( Not sure if it's openable again...

//Björn

Sounds like the prism is sliding in its plastic carrier. In theory it should be possible to glue it back. The scope body isn't glued up? If it isn't it unscrews at the rotating collar and the you access the prisms after undoing the upper body joint (3 screws to undo if I remember correctly), with a torx screwdriver.

I had the same problem with my 824.

Let us know how it turns out, I have the same (or similar) problem on my 824. Something (prism?) is loose but falls in the correct place if I have it with the focuser up, not too big a problem on a straight scope though. Have to give it a hit sometimes to get it correct, a bit nerve wrecking.

A complication is that the repair guy had to glue it shut the last time it was in, since the back was cracked and no spares are available :( Not sure if it's openable again...

//Björn

Bjorn:

Not sure about Kowa, but many of the top makes would just provide you
with a new scope to replace yours if not repairable. I do hope that is the
case here. Let us know how it turns out.

Jerry

Hi

Not sure which is the rotating collar, where the mount is? That could save me :) I thought the scope was taken apart by undoing the sight/screw and the removing the back plare, ie the part that holds the ep, ca two inches long.

The sight (which doubles as a screw mount) was cracked so that was glued, not sure if he had to glue the whole backplate as well.

Btw, what kind of glue did you use? Dont want to fog any lenses with bad fumes...

This scope is ancient and comes from the us originaly, mayoayo, and had previous owners before him, so i doubt kowa would replace it :) it is a bit special though since its a black version.

//Björn

4e6c32d0-3ced-3451.jpg

Yes the rotating collar is part the tripod mount the all black piece. I loosened the screw collar when I unscrewed or screwed up the scope body halves.

I forgot about the sighting screw. That needs to be undone as well as the three torx screws which you can access once you have the scope body in half.

I'm supposed to be able to take the scope in half? Didn't know that, it unscrews at the red ring? Tried to unscrew as hard as I can but it won't budge.

Looks like the repair guy put silicone there and in the back plate joint, not glue. Still, silicone is better than glue :) There is only glue on the actual sight mount it seems.

//Björn

Yes it unscrews at the red ring. Maybe a drop of WD40 would help things along though you don't want to force it and make things worse.

I used a 2-pack glue to set the prism once inside the scope.

Great, thanks for the info!

I'm trying to keep my hands off it until fall migration is over, don't want to miss anything fun :)

Meanwhile I might have to do some research on how to ease the removal of silicone..

//Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back